SuperNova

SuperNova

Postby out in space on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:31 pm

An exploding star has suddenly appeared in the night sky, dazzling astronomers who haven't seen a new supernova so close to our solar system in more than 20 years.

In just the last few days, a the supernova emerged as a bright light in Messier 82 - also known as the Cigar Galaxy - about 12 million light-years away in the constellation Ursa Major, or the Great Bear. The supernova, which one astronomer described as a potential "Holy Grail" for scientists, was first discovered by students at the University College London.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/supernov ... 2D11980643

The wonders of space never cease to amaze and so much more in store to find. Will it be another 20 years or more before this opportunity knocks again, so this makes it a once in a life time chance for now.

Beam me up!
out in space
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: SuperNova

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Space is a dangerous place that is fine for viewing from a safe place like Earth, but it needs to be kept in mind that there is a lot out there that could turn Earth into space junk.

Sort of reminds me of a line in that movie, Pentagon Wars, where the colonel is talking about flying and the sergeant says something like she likes looking up at the sky and that she'll be quite happy if the sky stays just where it is. Or something like that.

That is how I have begun to view space -- just let it stay right there where it is and please don't let it allow any baddies to attack my wonderful home, Earth.

Thinking of films, there is a kind of film, maybe it's listed as a movie, that is about having to evacuate Earth in 75 years. I think that is the name of it, Evacuate Earth.

I say 12 milliom light years away is plenty close enough. You nova types, super or otherwise, stay way out there. Or farther. Thank you very much.

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SuperNova

Postby trailblaze on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Evacuate Earth - The only reference I can find is for a documentary from National Geographic.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... ate-earth/

If we faced a countdown to destruction, could we build a spacecraft to take us to new and habitable worlds? Can we Evacuate Earth? NGC's two-hour special examines this terrifying but scientifically plausible scenario by exploring how we could unite to ensure the survival of the human race.
trailblaze

Return to Space