Spiders in space

Spiders in space

Postby deja vu on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:56 pm

A spider is loose on the space station and, while it's not really wreaking havoc, those aboard would
likely prefer to know where it is. Two arachnids had been taken on board as part of an experiment
in weightlessness, but one appears to have gone missing. The other remains in its box spinning crazy
webs (apparently much tougher to do symmetrically in zero gravity) but the other one is currently
unaccounted for.
"The way it was explained to me is that he is a backup spider and he has his own contained space on
board and he had moved out of that area," said the flight director. The spider is not currently radioactive
and, barring some unforeseen reaction to solar flares, does not have the ability to change anyone into a
crime-fighting superhero. But the concept of loose "spiders on a spaceship" makes for a great movie.
Samuel Jackson is already attached as the star.

Sleeping with one eye open comes to mind. They can now add watching out for floating spiders to their list
of duties.

Thanks to the National Post
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spiders in space

Postby fishandchips on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:32 pm

What kind of spiders-household or the big furry kind in the picture? (Looking around nervously.)

Spider could be feeling very strange moving in space out of enclosed area. As for the other spider having trouble with zero gravity, poor critter could think web is going bad and stressing its ability to keep spinning.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Just their luck that spider will have been in that tool bag that floated off and they will never account for it because they'll find no body.

Actually, that spider being loose is no joke. I imagine there are areas it could short something out. They have racks of electrical equipment up there and I don't suppose they are spider-proofed.

On the other hand, it won't last too long without food. I don't think there are too many flying things around that environment for Mr./Ms. Spider to munch on. That may draw it out of hiding faster than anything else. If it's not in spider heaven already.

But how earth-like that is: "I've got a spider running around here someplace."

Still, this mission is having some odd happenings.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fishandchips on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Guess the missing spider is not enjoying a drift in space. Might be funny if it is found after the shuttle's return to be in clothing or bedding and still nimble, just tired.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby deja vu on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:25 pm

Spiders get their space legs — all eight of them
After tangled false start, two weave amazing new webs in zero gravity

Two plucky spiders on the international space station have bounced back from a tangled false start to
weave amazing new webs in zero gravity, astronauts said Friday.

The orb-weaving spiders were transported to the station aboard NASA's shuttle Endeavour earlier this
week, but initially wove an aimless concoction in their lab enclosure during their first days in weightlessness.
But now they've taken another stab at weightless web construction.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27843895/

Looks like the Lost In Space spider has been located. Guess it was hiding in its cage and they didnt look
closely enough to find the critter.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Seems that up in space some strange things go on with human thinking like not looking hard enough in the spider original box or what, to loosing a COSTLY bag of tools & I am sure that there are others we have not heard about.

So question is, during the spiders time in space did it survive without water or food or whatever a spider requires to live on????
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:53 pm

Were freeze-dried insects and water provided for the spiders? Good question.

http://history.msfc.nasa.gov/skylab/docs/skylab.pdf Page 5 of the PDF has a Spiders in Space section from a mission decades ago. Water is more important than food for spiders.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:36 pm

I have one of these stupid Cathederal like homes meaning I have 16 steps to go down to the basement where my den & reloading room is, to 16 steps up to the kitchen & YES I use the latter as I do not go to greasy spoon places or even restaurants for my meals.

Still sometimes I note a spider has worked hard to possibly catch something for food. How he or she makes it to the main light in the middle of going downstars is BEYOND ME. No I will not remove his web.

So in my basement washroom I noted a spider starting a wep just a few inches from the toilet bowl. I only touched the one main string or web or what ever with no intent to scare it & suddenly it disappeared out of sight.

Yes I will be on the outlook for him or her of doing this again & will NOT touch that string or web or you name it.

I have a group of them at the side entrance of my home on the East side. I have never bothered one or their web. For I feel life in pretty hard on them in the first place.
smitty

Return to Space