A Matter of Perspective-excerpts to inspire

A Matter of Perspective-excerpts to inspire

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:54 pm

"George, have you solved the mystery of the flower and the weed?
"A flower is a weed that someone decided to keep," George answered. "A weed is a flower somebody decide to throw-away. There are no weeds; there are no flowers."
-Alien Nation: The Change (book 4).

The excerpt is a discussion about labels between George, one the main characters, and an elder. One of the best quotes that I have discovered in fiction has been written down in a book journal for revisiting as needed. Revising an outlook assists in seeing another way of perception or way of proceeding.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: A Matter of Perspective-excerpts to inspire

Postby lil-piggy on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:49 pm

"Revising an outlook assists in seeing another way of perception or way of proceeding."

Bravo! Brilliant! Well said! Now, if only we could convince the multitudes of that piece of wisdom.....
lil-piggy

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:24 pm

I wish I could say that close family members see the logic themselves. They may prefer to try to have me always be the one changing but there is some usefulness in choosing which stands to make of my own.

Nonetheless, the quotation moved me.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:02 am

Did the U.S. financial lending places not learn from the old expression "neither a lender nor borrower of money be?"

Sometimes, it helps to have access to funds other than one's own. Paying back is the struggle.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby Speak1 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
lil-piggy wrote:"Revising an outlook assists in seeing another way of perception or way of proceeding."

Bravo! Brilliant! Well said! Now, if only we could convince the multitudes of that piece of wisdom.....

Maybe speakezforums.com will be able to help in some small way. Just maybe. Would be nice.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Speak1

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:12 pm

Some quotations from books read over the years that I expect will inspire heated discussion. Each one stood out from the book I was reading at the time.

In a dazzling vote of confidence for form over substance, our culture fawns over the fleetingness of being in love while discounting the importance of loving.
Source: A General Theory of Love by Thomas Lewis, Fari Amini, & Richard Lannon, 2000.

Chapter titles:
Introduction: Companies Don't Care
1. The language of nobody.
2. You are a pawn.
3. The biggest ripoff of all.
4. The idiot on your left.
5. Business is doomed.
6. Laziness without fear.
Conclusion: laziness without fear.

Source: Bonjour Paresse/Hello Laziness. I put this listing up for humour's sake, in case a chuckle would be appreciated.

But the very society that has taught you that it is good and right and natural to share your life with another person, the same society that in large part defines and measures success by how you manage your relationships and your family, never bothered to teach you how you are supposed to do that.
Source: Relationship Rescue-A Workbook by Phillip C. McGraw, 2000.

Subject of dishes: "Why do you say no one can have too many?"
"Because by tradition when the last such dish is broken, the love goes out of a marriage and thereafter disharmony reigns. Since only dishes given at the time of the wedding count, people are naturally anxious to stockpile as many as possible. Especially among those tribes where the women are known to have hot tempers."

Source: a romance novel
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm

Laziness chapter titles--(chuckling). The author really did write the words one can think while waiting in a long line for the checkout.

Dishes quotes-there might not be room enough for all the dishes I'd need for angry discussion. Better to buy just two sets and try to negotiate conflicts when possible. Otherwise, I'm on a walk to cool down.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:46 pm

Choose to be a player, not a bystander. Get off the sidelines and onto the field. Know who you are and what you believe in. Take a stand. Join the dialogue and shape the debate. Think and act like owners. Refuse to sell out. And be the change you wish to see in the world. Boom! 7 Choices for Blowing the Doors Off Business-As-Usual.

"What you had in the past does not matter. What you are today is what counts." In Atlantic City, NJ, the pastor invited gang members in a parking lot to attend church that evening, as he was going to give the service. Two guys from the group showed up. 2006 visiting pastor service.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:20 pm

When Percy & I joined up with the Alpine Club of Canada, to climb rather then doing it ourselves, along with our errors. What struck me is the interest, especailly in the females, of how on the hiking to the base camp to one the way back or even when on an actual climb, THEY tended to spot some stranged named flower out of the impossible. The interest over that or several of the flowers was really quite an interst to others, as well.

Personally I was only interest in the climbing & these partial Latin names to flowers or whatever, well so different & when we had slides of our climbing up would pop the lovely close-up photos that gals had taken. Really from '48 to '60 I was never surpriseced to find women climbers to spot & actually know the names of these different flowers.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:46 pm

It is quite a thrill to have noticed something about human behaviour, Smitty.

Use What You've Got
Your past is what it is. Your family is who they are. Use what you've got. Some of the most successful people in the world have a drive that comes from some combination of sadness, anger, fear, or hurt. What they've learned is how to harness it--how to make it work for them, instead of against them. You can do the same.

Taking stock
On some level there is something about the serendipity of finding the "right" person, reading the "right" sentence, receiving the "right" thank-you letter, or being asked the "right" question that has something to do with luck.
Source for both quotations: Earn What You Are Worth by Nicole Williams.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Relativism