2018 Winter Olympics

2018 Winter Olympics

Postby deja vu on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Russia has been banned from competing at next year's Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang by the International Olympic Committee.

But Russian athletes who can prove they are clean would be allowed to compete in South Korea under a neutral flag.

It follows an investigation into allegations of state-sponsored doping at the 2014 Games hosted by Russia in Sochi.

"This should draw a line under this damaging episode," the IOC said.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/42242007

Given the history of doping and Russia, this should have happened long ago. I don't think anyone has a clear number of how many can jump through the many hoops now in their way, before they can compete. Either way, now that the power house domination is over for these games, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics

Postby fishandchips on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Thirty days to go until we watch sports live from Seoul! In a brilliant move, the congratulatory flower bouquets for the medallists
will be replaced by the mascot stuffed toy. Here's an interesting marketing ploy:

Could it be that the 2018 Olympics really have landed in one of the best communities in the world? That’s what locals are pitching with their Happy 700 campaign. Pyeongchang — which lies 130 kilometres east of the capital Seoul, and just 80 kilometres south of the heavily militarized border between North and South Korea — sits at an average altitude of 700 metres above sea level. And 700 metres, states the local tourism brochure, is “the best altitude for human biorhythm.”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/amateur/2018/01/10/30-things-to-know-about-pyeongchang-olympics-with-30-days-to-go.html

Seoul is 14 hours ahead of Toronto so live tv will be on Seoul-time but sports-watching could be good for pub houses at night here in Toronto.

Another entity, the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, published some Korean food recipes in their new Food & Drink magazine. Why not make something new to eat while watching the sporting action? There will be plenty of curling, starting on Feb.8.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby fishandchips on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Enjoying the coverage of the games in South Korea? Lots of excitement.

Go Canadian Women's Hockey Team!!! Team won its first game and I have to see if there's been another game since.
Snowboarding looks tricky on the slopes, as do moguls. Not envying the wind situations at all.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm

As a K-pop fan of singer and actress IU, I had to double-check that the leader of the South Korean women's curling team was not IU. The resemblance is really strong. By the way, the South Korean team won the game against their Canadian competitors yesterday (the first of two games for the Canadians, who had to play Sweden later in the Korean day). Quite a thinking game, curling. Lots of energy directed from one rock or stone into others.

Canada's women's hockey team managed to win over the US team but it was a scrappy game. The US team had three really strong players. Some of the US players kept after the Canadian team captain every time she was in the US zone. How many pileups into the Canadian team's net occurred? About 3. Score was 2-1.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Canada has many shiny medals from its athletes' efforts in Pyeongchang! I'm so ready for the closing ceremony show tomorrow!

I read why the South Korean women's curling team has the handle, Garlic Girls. They come from a region known for garlic production. Garlic is an important food item in several South Korean dishes.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Happened to see one entity congratulate Canada for placing third in total Olympic medals. Wait, Canada had been second in medals so which country surpassed Canada in ranking (as Norway was first)? It was Germany with 31 medals:

https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game-time/results/OWG2018/en/general/medal-standings.htm

Canada will have 55 ParaOlympians competing in the Paralympics from March 9 to 18! https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/para ... -the-games
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 pm

What is the medal standing of the countries at the Paralympic Games?

The United States is in first rank while Canada holds sixth place. https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... ndings.htm
The Republic of Korea is in 22nd place on the list.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Sports