Serving up tennis news

Re: Serving up tennis news

Postby fishandchips on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Oudin Stuns Dementieva

By LYNN ZINSER
Published: September 3, 2009
If you considered only Melanie Oudin’s age (17), size (she’s 5-foot-6), and lack of experience, she brought almost no obvious ammunition to her second-round United States Open match against No. 4 Elena Dementieva on Thursday. Her game has drawn sneers from other players who say she has no major weapons.

What Oudin did bring to Arthur Ashe Stadium, however, was an unquantifiable toughness and pulled off the biggest upset of the Open so far, topping Dementieva, 5-7, 6-4, 6-3, in front of an electrified crowd rooting for an American success story. Oudin accomplished this despite an injured left thigh that required medical attention in the third set and was so painful it brought her to tears at one point. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/04/sports/tennis/04open.html?_r=1&ref=global-home
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby deja vu on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:49 pm

She struck again today beating 29th ranked Maria Sharapova. Oudin is ranked 70th. If she keeps this up she may move up the ladder very fast. She has what it takes and proved that she deserves to be there, she certainly earned it. Now she waits for the next Russian player. While she is good I don't think shes ready for Serena and Venus Williams. I think they will prove to be way to powerful for her right now. Maybe in the future but I don't think she ie ready for that big move yet. At least she is now on the tennis radar screen and a force to be reckoned with.

~~~

NEW YORK — She sat there in shock. Then, the tears started falling.

Believe it or not, 17-year-old Melanie Oudin is the toast of the town at the U.S. Open.

Gritting her way through a shaky third set, the 70th-ranked player from Marietta, Ga., pulled off her second upset of the Open on Saturday, defeating a more-seasoned, more-famous, more-moneyed opponent _ 29th-seeded Maria Sharapova, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5.

"I don't even know what to say right now," Oudin said, choking back tears in her postmatch interview in Arthur Ashe Stadium. "Thank you so much for cheering for me." Sharapova, who has won this tournament once, usually gets those cheers. But on this cloudless day in Queens, the fans were rooting for a new potential queen _ the one who stamped the word "Believe" on her shoes, but probably didn't see this coming so soon.

"My goal was to make the top 50," she said. "But if I keep playing like this, who knows? Hopefully, I can get as high as anything." She added this upset to one over No. 4 Elena Dementieva in the second round and a win over former No. 1 Jelena Jankovic earlier this year at Wimbledon.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2009Sep05/ ... en,00.html
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Melanie Oudin's got some game happening. She's going to the quarterfinals.

Melanie Oudin is an upset winner again at U.S. Open
The 17-year-old from Georgia knocks off 13th-seeded Nadia Petrova to reach the quarterfinals.
By Diane Pucin

September 8, 2009
Reporting from New York - Melanie Oudin is such a teenager.

Oudin, 17 years old and full of wide-eyed amazement at the accomplishments of her opponents and of herself, uncoiled and spit off a crosscourt forehand winner from her racket then squealed at the Arthur Ashe Stadium court, "I'm so happy to be in my first Grand Slam EVER," Oudin yelped. Her tiny voice cracked. The emotion was genuine.

For the fourth time in a row at the U.S. Open, Oudin beat a Russian who was more highly ranked than she. Today it was 13th-seeded Nadia Petrova who felt the full wrath of Oudin's line-tickling ground strokes. Oudin won, 1-6, 7-6 (2), 6-3, in 2 hours 27 minutes. http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-us-open8-2009sep08,0,6132703.story
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Australian Open-Venus Williams makes news with her court minidress and skintone underwear to give the skirt slashing more risque appeal. She has used Twitter to inform fans of her own design. At least she is not tossing a tantrum.
Venus Williams into 4th round at Australian Open
By JOCELYN GECKER
Associated Press Writer
MELBOURNE, Australia -- Being a tennis player in the age of Twitter and Facebook means Venus Williams can communicate with fans like never before.

This explains the recent tweet about her outfit.

The bright yellow mini-dress that Williams wore Saturday in her third-round win at the Australian Open - and all earlier rounds - has raised eyebrows. Its plunging V-neck and cabaret-style slits up the front prompted fans, bloggers and reporters to question if there was anything underneath. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/tennis/story/1441302.html

~~~~~~
What do Russian tennis players who play well have in common? Parents willing to send them as children to Spain or abroad for coaching those skills into top athletic abilities.

Tsarinas have killer genes and visas
JAKE NIALL
January 25, 2010
The ''Russian model'' in tennis isn't necessarily a telegenic blonde with endorsements. If Australian tennis followed that country's successful method for producing players, it would see to it that prominent ex-footballers or Olympians were paired off with netballers and other elite sportswomen and sent overseas. Gary Ablett jnr's daughter, the progeny of Liz Ellis, would grow up with a racquet and a Spanish accent.

The child would be untimely ripped from her (most are girls) school and sent, with the rest of the family, to Spain to be drilled and drilled, becoming as fluent from the baseline as in Spanish.

There is a distinct pattern to the backgrounds of the Russian players, as exemplified by the four Russian women who squared off in the round of 16 yesterday, with Nadia Petrova, the 27-year-old grand dame of the Russkis, ousting world No. 3 Svetlana Kuznetsova while Maria Kirilenko, conquerer of Maria Sharapova, was up against the slam-less world No. 2 Dinara Safina.http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/tsarinas-have-killer-genes-and-visas-20100124-msog.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Jelena Jankovic retires from fourth-round match at Wimbledon
Reuters
Monday, June 28, 2010 19:28 IST
London: Serbia's Jelena Jankovic became the biggest casualty of the women's singles so far at Wimbledon when she retired at 6-1 3-0 down to Russian Vera Zvonareva in the fourth round on Monday.

The fourth seed received treatment for an injury to her back and looked ill at ease throughout the match in the glorious sunshine on Court 12.

Zvonareva raced to the opening set in 24 minutes and claimed two breaks in the second when Jankovic had a medical timeout. http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_jelena-jankovic-retires-from-fourth-round-match-at-wimbledon_1402507
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:56 am

July 06, 2010

WORLD-CLASS ACCEPTANCE LIST ANNOUNCED FOR ROGERS CUP PRESENTED BY NATIONAL BANK

Past champions Nadal, Federer, Murray, Djokovic, Roddick return to Toronto

Tennis Canada announced Tuesday the official player acceptance list for the 2010 Rogers Cup presented by National Bank, scheduled from August 7-15 at Rexall Centre in Toronto. Each of the Top 44 players on the ATP World Tour have been listed for the Masters 1000 event, including world No. 1 and recent Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal, the most decorated Grand Slam titlist Roger Federer, and defending Rogers Cup winner Andy Murray.

"We are thrilled to welcome the best tennis players on the planet back to Toronto this summer," expressed tournament director Karl Hale. "The world-class players list, combined with a festival-like atmosphere, makes Rogers Cup presented by National Bank one of the best sporting events in Canada. We just witnessed an historic Wimbledon and we are looking forward to seeing similar tennis drama unfold at Rexall Centre." http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/currentNews.php?id=WORLD-CLASSACCEPTANCELISTANNOUNCEDFORROGERSCUPPRESENTEDBYNATIONALBANK

Toronto is getting its summer events' face on--Honda Indy, Caribana, Rogers Cup all help to make the city a summer destination for residents and visitors.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:20 am

Federer did so bad at Wimbledon that he is now #3 in the world and if it continues he could be #4 or 5 by the end of the US Open later this summer. Even if he won the US Open he will not be #1. Too many losses this year has guaranteed that.

Most think he is a gentleman off/on the court but now even the announcers are questioning that. His loss at Wimbledon showed him to be a poor loser. After the game he did some interviews and made a lot of excuses as to why he lost and made no attempt to congratulate the player that beat him. Just went on about possible injuries that no one knew about. He said it was bad luck etc but the announcers called him a poor sport and all were disgusted that he could not admit that Berdych played a better game. The announcers said that as they look back at other Federer losses they are seeing a trend that really came to light with the Wimbledon loss. He is a gentleman as long as he wins and a poor sport when he loses.

Nadal on the other hand, did beat Berdych in the finals but sang his praises, showed he is a good sport.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:27 pm

The Rogers Cup for the male tennis players begins today in Toronto.

I found this article about Mr. Nadal and how he managed to get to the northwest part of Toronto to get some practice time in. In fact, could he not have had arranged time somewhere downtown, say at University of Toronto's new athletic facilities or a club? Yes, the Waterfront Club is no more but had it been around, it would have been more refreshing down by Lake Ontario.

Rogers Cup major tuneup for world No. 1 Rafael Nadal
Published On Fri Aug 6 2010
Paul Hunter
Sports Reporter
Toronto’s snarled Friday afternoon rush-hour traffic?

No problem when you’re the world’s best tennis player — and an international heartthrob — in town for the Rogers Cup.

After presiding over the draw for the star-laden tournament that starts Monday, Rafael Nadal was shuttled by limousine from the CN Tower to a helipad at Ontario Place. There, the Spaniard hopped in a chopper and was whisked north to the Rexall Centre courts at York University, the site of the Rogers Cup, for a two-hour evening workout.http://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis/article/845052--rogers-cup-major-tuneup-for-world-no-1-rafael-nadal
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:29 pm

All of you that have been watching womens tennis can expect me to be kicking myself in the butt. After all good tennis can be so good to see, but guess I was watching golf to also some m/c racing as latter is something I use to be doing in the late 40s to early 50s.

Yes I knew Venus Williams was designing some good tennis clothing so good for her to possibly be improving in this line. I think mos of you can remember the Williams sisers with hair all he same & such. To also those two gals had or have a lot of muscle that even men are not showing & wish the could.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:11 pm

http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/currentNews.php?id=RAINDELAY
RAIN DELAY

Matches have been interrupted due to rain. Organizers are following weather updates closely and will provide further developments when they become available

~~~~~
At least the temperatures have been given a drop with some of the wind accompanying the rain this afternoon. It has been steady rain for the past hour. Before that-stop and go rain.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Sports