Serving up tennis news

Re: Serving up tennis news

Postby alohasand on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Charleston, S.C. voted 2010 Best Tennis Town
Monday, September 6, 2010
The city of Charleston, S.C., today was named the winner of the USTA's "Best Tennis Town" in its second annual search, designed to identify and reward the American communities--from small, rural towns to large, urban metro areas and everywhere in between--that best exemplify the passion, excitement, spirit and impact that tennis brings to the local level.

The announcement was made Monday afternoon during a special ceremony in Arthur Ashe Stadium during the 2010 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y. As the 2010 "Best Tennis Town," Charleston--which garnered the most votes during the nationwide, online balloting period from July 16 to July 26--will receive $100,000 from the USTA to be used for community-wide tennis programming or facility enhancements.

Representatives from the top three vote-getting communities in contention for "Best Tennis Town"--Charleston, Atlanta, Ga., and Richmond, Va.--were all in attendance. The city of Atlanta, the first runner-up to Charleston, will take home $50,000 from the USTA for their local tennis programs, and second runner-up Richmond will receive $25,000. http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2010-09-06/201009061283803059741.html

Good way to share the money by helping tennis in different cities. How is the US Open play doing, compared to the Rogers Cup last month?
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby smitty on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:37 pm

That was a good thread on small town or cities being praised for their promotion of tennis.

True I have never been in tennis but can injoy watching it. In this small town we have two places for tennis. Now when living in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan it was only a few blocks for my mother & she could play tennis, but come winter time they changed the tennis courts into walls along with watering the area so that people could do general skating, to some being tought figure skating, to also some times it was hockey in general.

Yet my father was one of many, during the depression to water his wife's ex-backyard garden into ice for us to learn how to skate & was not the only one in Saskatoon.

The one time I was leaving our home, aftrer school, with skates & hockey stick my Mother asked why, for the chinook would have melted the ice. Well kept on walking there & she was corrct. That was another of many local tennis courts in Calgary, Alberta.

Quite a difference in the US Open for so many of the players of last year are not there & when it comes to women there are a lot of Russian women that have also showen in the past few years.
smitty

Postby Speak-Ez on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:25 pm

The BBC has a live updates thread for the Australian Open and I happened to take a look at the opening comments for Day 7 put up by their David Ornstein and saw this:

2355: Day seven of the Australian Open and time for some last-16 shenanigans. Caroline Wozniacki, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Maria Sharapova among the big names strutting their stuff on what promises another cracker at Melbourne Park. Should be fun, very fun. Let this page be your home for the next 10 hours or so and you shouldn't be too disappointed.

What got my attention is the bit about "another cracker". Interesting English there.

And for the rest of the posts by david ornstein you can use the link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/9370912.stm

Wonder if Polly is watching the matches?

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:40 pm

You hear that word a lot on the British shows shown in Canada and the US. What I didn't know is just how many meanings there are for the word and at least one is derogatory.

As for the Aussie Open "cracker" was used a lot to describe the day before Opening day. It was used to describe almost $2 million dollars worth of good news. Most of the top 20 men and women took part in a fund raiser for the victims of the Australian flood. They only showed a short tape of them being clowns on the court and the full house loved the show. Most of those players played in a tournament in Brisbane as a warmup to Melbourne. Just after they left the tennis center was under water and center court was for the fish and not the tennis balls.

There are a lot of "cracker" matches scheduled for today. There have been some surprise exits and some you knew were going to happen but as the players list dwindles down towards next weekends finals, the matches are heating up even more. Polly needs to make herself comfortable on her perch, no time for flying just watching.

This is what it looked like while they were there and then days later.

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:23 am

A quick update since the day is young in Melbourne but nearing the end of my day.

The biggest news of the day so far is that 4th seed Robin Soderling did not play well at all. Had a great first set and then he just seemed to tune out for the rest of the match. He had some bright spots but for the most part, he just wasn't fully in the match. He lost to the 46th seed Alexandr Dolgopolov. No one saw that one coming. It is good news for 5th seed Andy Murray though. He won his match against 11th seed Jurgen Melzer and I think he gets to move back to 4th place when the rankings come out in a week. He will face Alexandr Dolgopolov in the quarter finals. Should be interesting to watch.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dreamon on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:29 pm

The biggest surprise at the Aussie Open are three young men, or upstarts as the tv hosts for the Open are calling them. Three who will move up in the ranks based on some great tennis. They shook up the ranks and will be rewarded for their hard work.

The 20 year old Milos Raonic from Thornhill, Ontario, Canada is the biggest tennis news. His hard work and beating #22 and #10 and giving #7 a run for his money before losing will reap the biggest benefit. He's ranked 152 but next Monday he will be ranked in the 90's. If he had beaten #7 David Ferrer he would be ranked in the 80's. Can't complain though he is probably having the biggest ranking jump in history, or one of the biggest.

Milos Raonic is in good company with Bernard Tomic from Australia and Alexandr Dolgopolov from the Ukraine. They took this Aussie Open by storm and Dolgopolov is still in the game with an upcoming match against Andy Murray.

On the womens side, no really big surprises, no upcoming stars. I think the last break out star on the womens side was Melanie Oudin at the 2009 US Open.

The only surprise so far this year is #14 Maria Sharapova losing badly to #30 Andrea Petkovic in the 4th round of the tournament.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby deja vu on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:57 pm

The biggest shock of the Aussie Open happened to Rafael Nadal. He played with all of his heart and then the heartbreak of losing 3 straight that allowed David Ferrer to advance to the finals against Andy Murray.

Here's the full story:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new ... 46721.html
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:01 pm

I was surprised & pleased to see a woman from China was out their representing her home country, BUT at home no one is interested in Tennis. Good player though. You wonder why Japan does not have a good build up of tennis players, but the males seem to like being in the Pro games of golf. Possibly it payes better if you are amongst the top 5 is my feeling.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:25 pm

China's Na Li or Li Na. I have heard the sports announcers use both. Who knew she had a sense of humor. This is the first time I have seen her interviewed and she is funny. She had the stadium in stitches. Now she goes on to the finals against Belgiums Kim Clijsters.

The other surprise is who will Djokovic face in the Men's final. Novak Djokovic set Roger Federer packing for home. A rare sight but it's a good one. Andy Murray and David Ferrer play the other semi final match tomorrow.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cubed on Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Aussie Kim came through in the end to take the Aussie Open. Kim Clijsters won her first Aussie Open but she had to fight back to come out on top. Li Na played a good game but nerves or distractions, maybe both got the better of her. She said Chinese fans are not polite and the comments they were yelling did not help her stay focused. She had to ask the Chair Umpire to silence them on more than one occasion. Unfortunately her supporters didn't take the hint. Between them and the photographers camera flashes she had a few issues on the court.

Maybe it will make her stronger in the next tennis final that she is in. She certainly learned a lot from her first Slam final and it should help her deal with it a bit better at the next Slam final.

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=351527
cubed

PreviousNext

Return to Sports