Serving up tennis news

Re: Serving up tennis news

Postby keychain on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 am

Novak Djokovic was all business and Andy Murray did not have a good game. The trophy goes to Djokovic but both men will get a huge paycheck for making it to the finals. Andy will move up to his familiar 4th place but no idea if Djokovic will move into 2nd and kick Roger back to 3rd. Hope Murray gets his act together for the next 2 tournaments. He played so well the entire tournament and picked the wrong time to have a meltdown in his play.
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

Postby deja vu on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:17 pm

The young man from Thornhill, Ontario just pulled off a miracle and can enjoy his first tournament title. Milos Raonic (20 years old)is the second youngest player to win an ATP tournament. He just beat the number 9 player in the world at the SAP Open in San Jose, California. He's the first Canadian to win a title since 1995.

http://www.thestar.com/article/938257-- ... ennis?bn=1
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Wish I had seen that win by Djokovic on the TV screen for they kept on saying he had such a fast drive & my understanding is that is with power & speed.

Also nice for a Cdn to finally take a win.
smitty

Postby signs on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Smitty -
Wish I had seen that win by Djokovic on the TV screen

Unfortunately, only the major tournaments are on TV, otherwise one has to pay 19.99 to watch it on the internet.

In other news:

FoxNews - DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – When most players at the Dubai Championships finish their matches, they mingle in the clubhouse eating and chatting. For Shahar Peer, it's back to a guarded compound where she watches movies with her father Dov.

It could be worse for Peer. She was denied a visa to play in Dubai two years ago because of anger over Israel's three-week military offensive in Gaza. This week she has a security detail and is confined to her hotel room but insists she feels welcome and comfortable in the Gulf city. The tight security — including metal detectors outside the stadium — has not hurt her performance thus far. The 11th-ranked Peer won her doubles Monday and her opening singles Tuesday, beating Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez of Spain 6-4, 6-1.

_________

It's too bad but it's a reality when political views interferes with a player just trying to compete in a sporting event. How do you relax and focus when you have to live under these conditions? It may be a luxury hotel but when you can only go between the court and your hotel room it is still a prison.
Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
signs
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby smitty on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:12 pm

While I can watch tennis on the TV screen, there is no way I would pay the extra $19.95 for yes I can become bored of to much golf or two much tennis.

I would hate to be in the shoes of Sahar Peer for sure. That is unquestionably out of line. Reminds me of some of the Amateur Wrestling Coaches with teams to compete in the Pan-Am Games down in someplace in South America. There were mesh fences for the onlookers to look through OVER the heads of the guards with machine guns.

Also to practice or wait for their turn the Wrestlers had to be in another room & could not see the others in competition for there are so many weight catagories & some of your team or competitors were the ones they could NOT see in action for that is part of the sport.

So the Cdn Coaches along with the American coaches said "get rid of the guards & their machines to ALSO open up the dual large doors to also let the others see & actually come into the wrestling agea to see the many wrestlers, OTHERWISE we will remove out American & Canadian teams.

Which shows you there are limits that often have to be scratched even if it was for the good of the competitors & yes I can remember the Summer Olympics incident when it was held in Germany so many years back.
smitty

Postby flipflop on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:07 am

http://www.memphistennis.com/news/story-122

It's really too bad that the California final on Sunday and yesterdays rematch in Memphis were not televised. That would have been some good tennis to see. Fernando Verdasco must be licking his wounds somewhere. Number 9 in the world losing two matches in the row to number 59, can't be easy to accept.
flipflop
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby deja vu on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 pm

The Canucks are rocking Memphis this week. Yes there is a yearly tennis tournament In Memphis, and I'm as surprised as you are. It's not one of the big tournaments but Canucks are making some noise.

Milos Raonic has steamrolled his way into the Semi finals tomorrow and on the ladies side Vancouverite Rebecca Marino is the only seeded player left and she just earned a spot in her first finals tomorrow. That comes after she won her first semi final match today. No matter what both are going to take another big leap in the rankings on Monday. The days of qualifying for tournaments or being the Wild Card are behind them now.

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=354446

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=354409
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Montreal Gazette: Fernando Verdasco lost to big-serving Canadian Milos Raonic twice this week, first in the finals of the SAP Open and then in the opening round at Memphis. But he's not worried since neither of these matches were "real." The ninth-ranked Spaniard dismissed Raonic's victories because they came on faster hard courts rather than the artisan's surface of clay:

"For me that's not a real match in tennis. I hope to play soon against him in clay court to show him what it is to play tennis, and play rallies, and run, and not [just] serve. "I think he was more lucky than me in the tiebreak. He hit the line at 5-5 with a return and when you are at that point in the match and are lucky to put a ball on the line then you have big options to win the match."

As our friends at @SIOpenSource Tweeted on Thursday: "Some whine with your queso, Nando?" If hard court tennis isn't "real" tennis, then are we to consider Verdasco's two non-clay tournament titles to be null and void? Does Roger Federer only have one Grand Slam title now? Did Rafael Nadal waste his time retooling his game to improve on grass and hard? Will history judge Pete Sampras to be a lesser player than Gaston Gaudio? You got beat, Fernando. Deal with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good question and someone should ask him about the 2 non clay victories. If he doesn't consider them real then he should give back the cash, ranking points and the trophys. He would remain quiet if a higher seeded player had beaten him twice in 3 days. If he wins Wimbledon will he call a victory on grass a non victory? He needs to grow up and accept that he lost fair and square. The number 9 player in the world has just shown that he is a nasty whining poor sport.

Update: Raonic is on his way to his second tournament final in a row, he won his first tournament title last weekend. He just beat # 17 Mardy Fish for the chance to face Andy Roddick in the final tomorrow. Rebecca Marino goes for her first title in a few hours and in Mens Doubles the team of Daniel Nestor (Canada) and Max Mirnyi (Belarus) will have a shot at the doubles title tomorrow.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:05 pm

Sadly Rebecca Marinos dream of winning a tournament will have to wait a while. She had to retire after the first set of the finals. This is from TSN, they threw it in an update about the mens side of the tournament. It's too bad, she worked so hard and an injury will sideline her now for a few weeks I guess

Rebecca Marino's quest to win the women's final ended miserably when the Vancouver native lost the first set 6-2 to Slovakia's Magdalena Rybarikova before retiring with an abdominal strain.

Marino had posed with Raonic and a Canadian flag earlier, but the No. 6 seed couldn't play through an injury suffered in the semifinals. She cried into a towel courtside after consulting a trainer.

"It's my left abdomen. It basically hurts every time I serve ... I'm sorry I couldn't give you a better match."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Milos Raonic advanced to his second straight ATP Tour final on a busy day for Canadians in Memphis, Tenn.

The big server from Thornhill, Ont., pounded out another 23 aces in defeating American Mardy Fish 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 on Saturday at the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Raon ... story.html

“From the waist down, he has the strongest legs of anyone I’ve ever seen,” said Fish. “You can tell he still has some growing to do in his upper body and it’s a scary thought to think he’s got ways to improve.”

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=354535

This was Fish's third semifinal in his 11th trip to Memphis, but the 29-year-old American hadn't seen Raonic play before in person outside of perhaps 30 minutes on TV. Fish backed up about two metres off the base line, sometimes behind the word "Memphis" on the court trying to give himself a fraction longer to pick up Raonic's serve.

"You're basically guessing if you're standing way up," Fish said. "I felt like I was able to move back and at least get my racket on a few and not necessarily have to guess as much. But he hit spots, and it doesn't matter."
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keychain on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:02 pm

Roger had his tennis racket handed to him on a platter. Novak Djokovic beat him in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. It gave Novak a third consecutive
Dubai Title. To say Roger had a bad day would be an understatement, it goes way beyond bad.

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=355491
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

PreviousNext

Return to Sports