Extreme Sports from around the world

Extreme Sports from around the world

Postby yukon on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Zorbing: a sport in which a participant is secured inside an inner capsule inside a large,
transparent ball which is then rolled along the ground or down hills. Origin 1990s: invented
word from zorb, the name of the ball used in this activity.

Fly by wire:

Can you visualise yourself in a rocket ship soaring through space at breakneck speed?

You are encased in a part-plane, part-rocket machine as it hurtles around in a circle, tethered
to a steel cable.

Fly By Wire is a self-drive flying machine unique to New Zealand and just happens to be the fastest
tethered adventure flight in the world. Trust those creative Kiwis to come up with this monster!
The ride is red-hot sizzling fun and a huge adrenalin rush. But at the same time the exhilarating
speed gives a sensation of peace and serenity, particularly as the plane glides gently to the end of
the flight.

The rocket machine is built of premium grade aircraft material using state-of-the-art design and
manufacturing techniques and is powered by a 60 hp aircraft engine. The owner has a worldwide
patent on the design, which complies with all applicable New Zealand standards. The machine is
suspended from an overhead cable system, which allows it to fly in circles within a spectacular
steep-sided canyon.

New Zealand’s first Fly By Wire site is just outside Queenstown, where a system of massive cables has
been bolted to the sides of a rocky gorge to support the single tethering wire. The rocket ship reaches
a speed of 170 kph (106 mph) and as it accelerates you experience a force of three G’s to weightlessness
within a three second interval. The flight lasts 6 minutes.

http://www.newzealandnz.co.nz/activities/fly-by-wire.html

The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Re: Extreme Sports from around the world

Postby deja vu on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:20 pm

Black Water rafting:

Black-water rafting (also called cave tubing) involves gently floating through a pitch-black
cave with a big rubber inner tube fitted snugly around your waist or bottom. Your first challenge
is to jump two metres off a ledge into the inky blackness of the cave. Don’t even think about
what creatures may lurk beneath the murky waters.

http://www.newzealandnz.co.nz/activities/black-water-rafting.html

This one is a bit to extreme for me.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:06 pm

Some confident individuals will do these sports with very little worry about what could happen and focus on the expectation of enjoyment in participation. No dark caves with water bodies for me, thanks!
Zip by wire is the latest version of just ziplining by oneself in a harness along a pulley? How do those tether wires get put up in the first place?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby dreamon on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:24 pm

I would love to try Zorbing but I dont think my back would like me at the bottom of the hill. I would take
the Fly by Wire ride, looks like a lot of fun.

No desire at all to try black water rafting. Dark caves, water, not something I would consider.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby yukon on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:59 pm

Iditarod sled dog race

You can’t compare it to any other competitive event in the world! A race over 1150 miles of
the roughest, most beautiful terrain Mother Nature has to offer. She throws jagged mountain
ranges, frozen river, dense forest, desolate tundra and miles of windswept coast at the mushers
and their dog teams. Add to that temperatures far below zero, winds that can cause a complete
loss of visibility, the hazards of overflow, long hours of darkness and treacherous climbs and side
hills, and you have the Iditarod. A race extraordinaire, a race only possible in Alaska.

http://www.iditarod.com/learn/

local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby deja vu on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Cliff Diving

Due to the increasing interest of media cliff-diving has become a popular sport. Nevertheless
it is a kind of extreme sport, performed by approximately 300 sportsmen all over the world.
Platform diving is performed up to a height of 10 meters. Smaller faults in dive execution mostly
lead to mild consequences. Professional cliff divers perform their dives down from a platform
at a maximum height of 28 meters. A major fault may lead to danger for their lifes. At diving
the impact is 9 times harder compared to a dive out of 10 meters. The entering speed into the
water then will be close to 100 km/h.

http://www.cliff-diving.de/hauptseite_e.html

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dreamon on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Wing Suit Flying

Wingsuit flying is the art of flying the human body through the air using a special jumpsuit,
called a wingsuit, that shapes the human body into an airfoil which can create lift. The wingsuit
creates the airfoil shape with fabric sewn between the legs and under the arms. It is also called
a birdman suit or squirrel suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingsuit_flying

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby fishandchips on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Zorbing in the afternoon sounds like something to do with friends. Combined with some dancing at night, zorbing could remove any tension and make people relaxed and feel good about themselves. Now, if a sponsor could be arranged for a test trial to New Zealand, I could test the theory...
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby deja vu on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:57 pm

K1 / Pride - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Pretty extreme in my book.

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yukon on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Free Diving:

Wikipedia: Free diving is any of various aquatic activities that share the practice of breath-holding
underwater diving. Examples include breathhold spear fishing, free-dive photography, apnea competitions
and, to a degree, snorkeling. The activity that garners the most public attention is competitive apnea,
an extreme sport, in which competitors attempt to attain great depths, times or distances on a single
breath without direct assistance of a self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (scuba).

local moose, Folks!
yukon

Next

Return to Sports