Extreme Sports from around the world

Re: Extreme Sports from around the world

Postby smitty on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:04 pm

I thought it was the British that ran, fell, injured themselves to be first DOWN THIS STEEP HILL first to win some cheese or something?
smitty

Postby deja vu on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Want to tempt fate?

How about volcano trekking?

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2011/08/0 ... -hotspots/

Gunung Rinjani, Indonesia:

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 pm

I look at some of the extreme things I have done & I am amazed that I am still alive. The concucussions I have are beyond belief in practicing for m/c compition.

I knew that concussios sort of eased off the early part of the pain, but then in some cases I really do not know what went on for several parts of the day.

I remember comming down this steep hill, could see this large fallen tree & felt I could do a decent bunny hop over it, only there I was looking at all the rocks on the other side.

Then feeling I had broken my neck & felt the little fanny bag did not have equipment to correct a broken neck.

The neck pain was TERRIBLE, though suddenly something SNAPPED. So did not move other then check out my limbs. Yes I could even move my head a bit, Finally got up & looked for my m/c for it was on its side some distance away. Walked over & put my hands close to the fins of the m/c bby but they were dead cold. Did the same to what called the "header pipe" for it was cold. So I had been in another world for 30 minutes.

Looked around & noted where I had been laying & this trough chewed all around that, which told me that is where I had laid with this damaged neck & somehow the body or limbs has made a change & so the reason for the SNAP of getting rid of most of my neck pain.

Though it took me several months before I could do a normal shoulder check just to get a look at who is about to pass me or in my DEAD ZONE when on the hwy.

Also at work I noted I went to pick up some wood only it went out of my hands, but I had riden a street bike to work. Later found out I had broken the back of my right thump though did not know this for several days.

You see I practice all by myself & not with other comp riders otherwise I am sure they would have tried to help.

That very spill of "prang" as I call it was lost back in Octrober & things came about later on that I really had simply forgotten, like promises & help to others or articles I use to write for a British MC mag about some things of riding in the Canadian Rockies till he asked if I had finished the article-----little did he realize I was close to death for a while.
smitty

Postby smitty on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:19 pm

I look at some of the extreme things I have done & I am amazed that I am still alive. The concucussions I have are beyond belief in practicing for m/c compition.

I knew that concussios sort of eased off the early part of the pain, but then in some cases I really do not know what went on for several parts of the day.

I remember comming down this steep hill, could see this large fallen tree & felt I could do a decent bunny hop over it, only there I was looking at all the rocks on the other side.

Then feeling I had broken my neck & felt the little fanny bag did not have equipment to correct a broken neck.

The neck pain was TERRIBLE, though suddenly something SNAPPED. So did not move other then check out my limbs. Yes I could even move my head a bit, Finally got up & looked for my m/c for it was on its side some distance away. Walked over & put my hands close to the fins of the m/c bby but they were dead cold. Did the same to what called the "header pipe" for it was cold. So I had been in another world for 30 minutes.

Looked around & noted where I had been laying & this trough chewed all around that, which told me that is where I had laid with this damaged neck & somehow the body or limbs has made a change & so the reason for the SNAP of getting rid of most of my neck pain.

Though it took me several months before I could do a normal shoulder check just to get a look at who is about to pass me or in my DEAD ZONE when on the hwy.

Also at work I noted I went to pick up some wood only it went out of my hands, but I had riden a street bike to work. Later found out I had broken the back of my right thump though did not know this for several days.

You see I practice all by myself & not with other comp riders otherwise I am sure they would have tried to help.

That very spill of "prang" as I call it was lost back in Octrober & things came about later on that I really had simply forgotten, like promises & help to others or articles I use to write for a British MC mag about some things of riding in the Canadian Rockies till he asked if I had finished the article-----little did he realize I was close to death for a while.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm

>
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/02/ ... d-barrier/

Welcome to the extreme sport of space-diving.

After some minor speed bumps, Daredevil adventurer Felix Baumgartner's plans to plunge 23 miles from the edge of space back to Earth -- a Red Bull-sponsored stunt that would be the world's highest freefall -- is finally coming to fruition, the team announced Monday, Feb. 6. “We still have a lot to do before we’re ready, before the big one, but our launch window starts in July in New Mexico,”Baumgartner told FoxNews.com.

This definitely qualifies as the most extreme sport anywhere on the planet or off. This is beyond nuts. I don't think any amount of preparation can prepare one for the reality. Too many things can go wrong.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Does firewalking qualify as a sport or just a crazy stunt? It came to the national spotlight when 21 were hurt firewalking while participating at a Tony Robbins seminxar.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2012/ ... 13976.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewalking
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:26 pm

In the movie, Johnny English Reborn, the former agent was doing firewalking in Tibet while chanting "mind over matter" without any harm. As soon as he heard his teacher's voice asking him a question, Johnny lost his control over his mind and felt those hot coals.

Yet there are people who are able to firewalk in real life.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Flyboarding:

>
http://www.southpeacenews.com/newsdesk/ ... ports.html

So, how much does the unit cost? About $9,000, not counting the jetski.

Nuts and costly, but it looks like fun for those that want to give it a shot.

Image Image Image
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:08 pm

Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner broke the record for the highest manned balloon flight on Sunday after his craft rose 23 miles (37 km) above New Mexico, project sponsors said.

The 43-year-old daredevil was inside a capsule tethered to the massive but extremely delicate helium balloon high above Roswell, New Mexico.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49406174/ns ... n=(organic)

He pulled it off, he is safely back on solid ground. He broke a few records, but the big one, breaking the sound barrier will have to be varified by an independent source. NASA and his team said he did and hopefully he did after all that work.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Surgeonsoul on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:56 pm

High-risk holiday activities can end up being the furthest thing from a cheap thrill, especially when insurers dismiss a claim following a costly injury.

The price of an adventure-related mishap abroad was underscored this week after a B.C. woman's skydiving accident in Arizona. Kenzie Markey, 32, plummeted to the ground when her parachute collapsed. She suffered a collapsed lung, a broken femur, pelvis and eye socket, and brain swelling. Although she survived, Markey has racked up $500,000 in medical bills in a little more than two weeks.

Her family was stunned to learn afterwards that her insurance claim had been dismissed as invalid because Markey was participating in an extreme sport.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/travel-in ... -1.2618483

I understand she is back in Canada, so those hospital bills are covered, but the US bills will have to be out of pocket. Horrible way to learn a lesson and sadly most wont learn from this. You need to know your travel insurance like the back of your hand, even the dreaded small print. She should have checked to make sure before she participated, assuming gets you nowhere in these cases.
Surgeonsoul
Starting Member
Starting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sports