Extreme Sports from around the world

Re: Extreme Sports from around the world

Postby deja vu on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:15 pm

If your a surfer and in or heading to Hawaii, you will love this one:

Thousands of spectators and surfers are flocking to Hawaii's beaches to see the biggest waves in years crash ashore. Heavy traffic backed up for miles Monday along roads leading to Oahu's North Shore. Some of the world's most daring surfers took on the powerful and dangerous waves, which forecasters say could reach heights of 50 feet.

The surf grew so large that a few beaches on Oahu and Maui were closed because lifeguards feared inexperienced sightseers could drown, according to state officials.

(Two surfers ride a near 50-foot wave at Waimea Bay on the north shore of Oahu in Haleiwa, Hawaii)
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby burnt fare on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:52 pm

I don't have their nerves. A couple of drinks after a nice day of sitting on the beach might be the key to getting onto a board but these surfers are out in the water during winter. Let me toast them doing their thing, while I keep comfortable in my warm kitchen. :lol:
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:29 pm

British BASE jumper dies in Bernese Oberland
by Swisster Staff
December 22, 2009 | 13:43

A 37-year-old British man has died from his wounds after attempting a BASE jump off a cliff in Lauterbrunnen in the Bernese Oberland.The Briton, along with five others had planned to leap from a spot known as the "Mighty" on the Mürrenfluh at 5pm on Monday.As he approached the take-off ramp, he lost his balance and fell. After deploying his parachute, he was thrown against the cliff face and seriously injured.When the rescue helicopter arrived, the parachuter had already succumbed to his injuries, according to Bern cantonal police.The expat becomes the seventh BASE jumper this year to die at the same spot.
http://www.swisster.ch/british-base-jumper-dies-bernese-oberland.html

I came across the term BASE jumping in a novel I was reading last week. It seems to be a variant of cliffdiving but off of buildings. Let's see a definition:

B.A.S.E. jumping, also sometimes written as BASE jumping, is an activity that employs an initially packed parachute to jump from fixed objects (also see paragliding). "B.A.S.E." is an acronym that stands for four categories of fixed objects from which one can jump: buildings, antennas, spans (bridge), and earth (cliff).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASE_jumping

Sport that definitely means seizing the day and looking fear in the face. Not conducive to relationships unless partner/spouse is a BASE jumper too?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby pretzels on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Another "buy insurance before you go" type of sport. What does that adrenaline rush-BASE jumping or surfing 40ft waves-do for a person???
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby smitty on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:50 pm

Allow me to go back on your bit about the so called boxing, wrestling & you name it deja vu. In my mind that is a very backwards type of sport to even showen on TV. True it is a keen sport for a few in Thailand to some other Pacific islands to cities, but only a new fad here in the USA a few yrs ago & was an illegal sport in Canada only now it is being allowed in greater Vancouver.

Okay so I was in a few sports like mountaineering, to SCUBA diving, to basically Downhill or Giant Slalom skiing, & also into most forms of what we called "scrambling" in my days to Observed Trials , Enduros & Cross Country racing, but not to the extreme of the antics of Moto Cross competitors of all the stunting when in the air or actually flipping a bike to a full flip in the air. The latter to some of the other extremes like in snowboarding competition have caused the death to injures of some. I feel that in a while some of the super extremes will be scratched from World Championships or the Olympics. I was luck to come out alive in normal scrambling when I broke my back to the maze of concussions I had over the 42 yrs of competition.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Tue May 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Another BASE jumper fatality--this time in Canada, of an Australian. Cost and danger would be involved in any retrieval of the deceased. The deceased is being left at the site.

Recovering body of Arctic BASE jumper too dangerous
May 18, 2010
Canadian Press

CLYDE RIVER, Nunavut - The body of an Australian sport parachutist who died jumping off a huge cliff on a remote and rugged section of the Baffin Island coastline may have to remain in its icy grave.

Sgt. Jimmy Akavak of the Iqaluit RCMP says it may be too dangerous and expensive to find and recover the body of Jim Mitchell. Mitchell was killed May 8 when he jumped off Kiguti Mountain near Clyde River, Nunavut.

"We're not going to send any volunteers to further endanger other people right now,” Akavak said Tuesday. "We're just waiting on a final decision as far as the insurance company and who's willing to pay.” http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/771432

With the melting of the winter's ice roads, air travel is the main means of covering great distances. The story points out the consequences left after one's death: someone has to be willing to organize the collection of the deceased if family wants the body brought back home.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:21 pm

BASE jumper stranded on B.C. mountain
Last Updated: Monday, August 2, 2010 | 12:10 PM PT
CBC News

Rescue crews are trying to reach a BASE jumper stranded on the Stawamus Chief Mountain in Squamish, B.C. A helicopter spotted the stranded jumper early Monday morning, police said. As of 11 a.m. PT, climbers were making their way to the parachutist. Police say the chopper made contact with the jumper, and it appears he is not injured.

BASE jumping involves parachuting from a fixed point, such a high building or cliff. The sport is illegal in many urban areas.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/02/bc-squamish-chief-base-jumper.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Here in B.C. Canada we have the fad of jumping off a mountain wall & the quick release chute will open. Tricky sport only a few weeks ago the Fire Department to Rescuce people had to go down part way to get this chap & his chute out of a crack in the mountain wall.

Then it happened again in another part, but two mountineers went up to rescue him & bring him down only with a sprained ankle.

You take most sports, yes to even m/c competition as i know in doing that from '47 till '89 the Club or owners of the circuit HIRED an ambulance crew JUST IN CASE!!!!!!!!!!!! It was not vonunteers & having lived in the mountains I was on several rescue missions to find most dead, but some okay & needing help. The pay was NIL besides to me that was not the sport of mountain climbing.

We struggled up a mountain to guide the climbers down that had been "benighted' only they claimed they could make it down without our help, but some time later in the day we had to go up again to guide them down & believe me some of those people were harassing us all the time. Thankfully now the RCMP must be one of the rescue team so tongue flapping would be halted I would feel.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:25 pm

How about obtaining some insurance coverage prior to that sporting adventure? You still could be excluded on some details but if you are covered, there can be help sent to you when you need it.

Daw: Check your insurance before you climb, dive or drink
Published On Wed Aug 18 2010
By James Daw
Personal Finance Columnist
Canadian climbers John McIsaac, Tim Rippel and their party tried to climb Mount Everest without oxygen.

Yet they still had valid travel medical insurance when thin air near the summit caused McIsaac’s lungs to fill with fluid.

This was no ordinary medical policy, and yours could be quite different. So, before you venture abroad, read the eligibility rules, limitations, exclusions and definitions.http://www.thestar.com/article/849588--daw-check-your-insurance-before-you-climb-dive-or-drink
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:22 pm

MSNBC - Two base jumpers leap from the 380 metres high Kuala Lumpur Tower in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 07 October 2010. Some 120 base jumpers from 22 countries took part in the annual KL Tower International Jump. BASE (Building, Antenna, Span and Earth)-jumping is an extreme sport where parachutists jump off tall buildings and structures instead of aircraft.

Great view at least.

I wonder what you get for winning?
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sports