Cycling

Re: Cycling

Postby testzone on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Star rider Frank Schleck of Luxembourg failed a doping test and pulled out of the Tour de France on Tuesday, another reminder of how drugs persist in shadowing cycling's premier event.

Cycling's governing body said Schleck tested positive for a banned diuretic. His team said he was cooperating with French authorities at a police station.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/162777306.html

With all due respect to the rider, don't they all say that it's not used by the team, and no idea how it got in the person's system? There was a lady track star that swore up and down that she never cheated with drugs and yet after all the denials she finally came clean on the long line of lies. We expect them to deny, but rarely do we hear that it was a mistake. If he didn't take the diuretic willingly then they need to find out who gave it too him and why.
testzone

Postby up-down on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:59 pm

Bradley Wiggins became the first British rider to win the Tour de France as compatriot Mark Cavendish claimed a fourth consecutive final-stage victory. Wiggins, 32, finished in the chasing peloton in Sunday's final stage around the streets of Paris with a winning margin of three minutes and 21 seconds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18946960

Three time Olympic champ and now this. Can he make it 4 in front of the hometown crowd? Only a few days to go and then we will
see if home advantage helps or hurts.
Inside out, round & round, upside down. Which way am I going?
up-down
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby deja vu on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:22 am

Lance Armstrong - guilty or not guilty?

I don't know because despite the fact that the Anti Doping Agency kept saying they have proof no one has seen it. If it is there why not show it instead of leaving the world to speculate.

Or is this a case of they just kept at him in the hope proof would show up one day and he has just had enough of the nonsense.

Either way, Armstrongs throwing in the towel without admitting guilt and probably never will until the Agency comes clean with what evidence they may have. I don't think his giving up is an admittance of guilt, just a man fed up with the never ending stress and the effect on his family.

If they show the proof and it shows that he did indeed dope up then he deserves the punishment. I just prefer seeing the proof before condeming the man just because an Agency said he did it, but provides no proof.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Rather hard to accept about the death of Bettini, for I am to understand it is when in competition of any type the blood pressure goes up the morning one wakes up & is more so when at the event.

So possibly he had a weak point. My doctor hauls me in about once a month to test me & my blood system. I seem to be doing okay & especially as I was born with Epilepsy, but in riding m/cs to driving cars, trucks or tractors I seemed to pass the ICBC (Insurance Corporation of B.C.) for a new DL, Licnse plate & such,. test each time For even 81 yrs of age I still ride one of my two 1000cc sportbikes, to also my Subaru & stated this back in 1946 to never been in an accident of where I was in the wrong. Not to many have such a clean sheet.

I had Epilepsy under control way back in the 50s. Also only in '56 was there even a warning to me.
smitty

Postby trailblaze on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 pm

American cyclist Lance Armstrong's career was "fueled from start to finish by doping," according to a detailed report of evidence against the seven-time Tour de France winner released Wednesday by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. The release of the report came hours after the agency issued a statement alleging that Armstrong participated in “the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen.”

In what it called a “Reasoned Decision” that it intends to share with worldwide cycling authorities, the USADA said that Armstrong was not merely a participant in what it called "a fraudulent course of conduct that extended over a decade," but a leader of the cheating scheme. It describes USPS team members testifying to widespread use during the Tour de France of the human growth factor known as EPO, as well as testosterone and a human blood product known as Actovegin.

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/20 ... -ring?lite

If this is true then why are they not taking it to court? Just banning him from pro cycling isn't punishment, just retirement. His reputation could be destroyed if people accept it and stop listening to his denial of it all.
trailblaze

Postby smitty on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:41 pm

This matter of Armstrong being nailed for using drugs, to also some other bicyle racing has flared up in a m/c board. For we know some other sports competitors can be using the same such as some of the bycle racers, but then it is a knowen fact that it has been used by some baseball competitors so it could also spread to hockey to also football when you think of it.

The only drug I knew about was a HYPO in my butt to ease the pain of some broken bones when m/c racing accident. (one has to remember during WWII in some cases some of their troops had a hypo) I did not know of the drugs that so many of heard about by local folks & this is something I mention when it comes to drugs for not only do I not nor have I ever smoked & when my parents with my Mother being a good singer in jazz to my father's love of his baby grand piano we had a maze of other musical people at our home & the keg of beer was brought down close to my sleeping quarters in the basement though it had a turn off thing I did not touch beer either.
smitty

Postby smitty on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:35 pm

FishNChips, you have a point. A good physical Ed teacher in samon-arm not to far away, collapsed when jogging.

Not a 100% heart attack, but had to slow things down a bit just to save any strain on the heart.

At the Iron Man in Penticton, a chap around 65 yrs of age was at the start of swimming the distance required & passed away, probably due to his hear. For after that he had the long stretch on a bicycle then another one on foot once he had quit riding the bicycle. Either is a strain.

Of interest the yearly one a month Iron Man was about to fold up as only so much money from the city, a bicycle shop, to the Iron Man shop that services & sells Subaru cars. PLUS one rich family.

Looks as if part of it will be held in Kelowna around 45Klicks from Penticton to Kelowna & it seems some will also be covered by one rick family that has put in money for the Iron Man year after year.

The compdtors for cycling is almost normal in this area & so would the jogging part to the popular finish.

I will be down at the Subaru shop so will ask them the given distances in the swimming to the cycling part & then the jogging bit. Then be able to hand it out you or others for we have people from Europe, USA, Japan & who knows what else for it is very popular event. I am comming back on a m/c ride & will see some of them practicing & always give them plenty of room, better then a car can. Once I had stopped off at the southern portion of Yellow lake, to remove my helmet & put in better ear plugs. The riders waved to me knowing I could have come out & cut them off a bit, but I never would.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:15 pm

After nearly 15 years of vehement denials, Lance Armstrong will confess that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his cycling career when he is interviewed by Oprah Winfrey, two sources said Saturday.

Armstrong, 41, will give a limited confession to Winfrey and will not provide details of the doping that anti-doping officials have said occurred throughout his cycling career, said the two people, who did not want their names published for fear of jeopardizing their access to him. He is scheduled to sit down with Winfrey in his home in Austin, Texas, on Monday, for the interview, which will be shown Thursday on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1 ... y-on-oprah

For a lot of fans, it will be a hard pill to swallow. They believed in him, that he earned his awards with hard work, not a needle in the arm to get to the top.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Thirteen years after he stood on the podium in Sydney, Lance Armstrong was stripped of his bronze medal from the 2000 Olympics because of doping.

The International Olympic Committee sent a letter to Armstrong on Wednesday night asking him to return the medal, just as it said it planned to do last month. The decision was first reported Thursday by The Associated Press.

http://www.tsn.ca/cycling/story/?id=413750

The IOC will not reallocate Armstrong's bronze medal, just as cycling's ruling body decided not to declare any winners for the Tour titles once held by the American. Spanish rider Abraham Olano Manzano, who finished fourth in Sydney, will not be upgraded and the bronze medal will be left vacant in Olympic records.

In August, the IOC stripped Tyler Hamilton, a former Armstrong teammate, of his time-trial gold medal from the 2004 Athens Olympics after he acknowledged doping. In that case, Ekimov was upgraded to gold.

That seems unfair to the Spainard. Why don't they have a set rule on situations like that. It seems they flip
a coin as to whether the next in line gets the medal.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby musicrock on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey J.J. Abrams, pay attention. Oscar nominee Bradley Cooper is not wasting any time, and quickly revealed that he would be more than happy to portray Lance Armstrong, after news of a biopic on the former cyclist's life was announced to be in the works.

"I would be interested in [playing Armstrong]," Cooper told BBC News. "I think he's fascinating. What a fascinating character."

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/ ... biopic?lit

Only in Hollywood do they seem to love the down and out. I would love to know why this type of movie is usually

a big hit?
musicrock

PreviousNext

Return to Sports