Cycling

Re: Cycling

Postby smitty on Sun May 15, 2011 9:01 pm

True some sports people can feel the strains in many ways. Like last Autumn as the Iron Man swimming, to cycling, to jogging event a chap in good shape in 46 yrs of age failed while in the swimming part.

Some have been good is physical condition as teachers to also in sports can go down with a heart attack.

As we know one hockey player for an American team, familiar with being a bully when it comes to playing hockey, has passed out in his bedroom last evening.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Yes, the weather is fine for cycling on city and town roads. I'm finding as a pedestrian to be aware to keep to one side of a sidewalk especially if I'm at the bottom of a hill. Cyclists pedalling on the sidewalk, with or without helmets or music devices attached to ears, want to keep their momentuum going when descending from a hill. I have also been surprised twice by bikes behind me yesterday and noted that the mostly male riders are keeping up a pace too quick for pedestrians on the same sidewalk. I have only seen one cyclist today out of about seven that used hand signals (and he was in heavy rush hour traffic on a main road) today.

When there are female cyclists passing by, often they are wearing plastic beach footwear or flipflops, not closed toe footwear. Can't figure out how that combination works for cycling, in which the reduction of air drag on the cyclist is a real consideration.

Cyclists, you have to use those hand signals and put a sound device on your handlebars (they are invisible so far and yelling is not the same thing) if you want to get respect from other road users and the pedestrians (like not riding on the sidewalks).
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm

That rain did take down a number of cyclists & I pity for them.

To read about staples, to tacks sort of takes me back to the Vancouver riot right after the Vancouver hockey team lost.

Those named or they know of will only get a slap on their wrist. Still one woman sort of broke into Vancouver council to let the Mayor so much of this WAS his fault & she was right even if she was breaking into a proper Town Father meeting.

After all he has been trying to get the restr of the Cdns to especilly rest of the B.C. residents that did not attend the parties after the Winter Olympics----all meaning money to Vancouver business people. If any turned up I am amazed for nothing was said of it.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:52 am

How cycling fans spend their summer--watching the Tour de France in person during a stage or on tv. Stage 9 now completed (with 12 more stages to go), the rankings show Team Europcar as the leading team and Thomas Voeckler as the leader. http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/LIVE/us/900/classement/index.html

The Tour Glossary tab on the right side explains what the different coloured jerseys mean for a stage. There is even a prize made for a cyclist showing super-combativity at the end of the Tour.

http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/LIVE/us/900/videos.html Some videos to start your recap of Stage 9. I enjoy the town/city overview ones from major sporting events to see buildings that I don't about or to learn about activities done in the town. Quasi-tourism...
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby pysanky on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Tomorrow is time for stage 17. Gap to Pinerolo--what weather forecast in store?
http://france.meteofrance.com/france/meteo?PREVISIONS_PORTLET.path=previsionsville/050610 Looks good for biking 10C to 20C.
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby smitty on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 pm

The start of the Ironman, beign, swimming, then cycling a great distance & finally jogging. So last year a chap in good shape, but 65 yrs of age actually had a heart attack when in the swimming part.

There are limits & so many tend to take them past the maximum limit. For a Physical Ed teacher a bit north of here, but practicing for the Iron man, had signs of a heart attack & was saved as he called for help. So one can imagine this chap has slowed down & things like the Ironman being something he use to think about.
smitty

Postby manga2read on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:54 pm

A heart scare like that can put activities in perspective. Sometimes a person has to acknowledge physical limits or change activities. But a snack during the competition here and there could have provided the heart with the energy need to keep going. Maybe the man needed electrolytes.
a word with you
manga2read

Postby smitty on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:46 am

CielOnTap,

In this small town of the Okanagan Valley anyone riding a bicycle or a scooter, to a m/c must be on the roads with the cars.

So hand signals should be used, but to add signal lights on cars/trucks or m/cs that requires a battery & a charging system. If one just putters around town they will often find their m/c battery will fail. I try to point out the answer is to clock several hours around 3 to 5 rpm & that gives the bike a chance to charge up (a m/c does not have a belt driven generating unit like a car/truck). Though in my case when coming home from a 5+ to 7+ ride up in the mountain roads the first thing I do is lube the chain as it is still hot & over-night the lube will run into the chain PLUS plugging in a sort of Battery Tender that keeps my battery fully charged, but does not OVERCHARGE the battery.

Mind you when you mention their so called music being blasted in their ears fits with so many m/c riders that use crash helmets. In no way do I want so called music taking over for I do plug is soft ear plugs to ward off the air venting though my helmet & can assure you that a good helmet it COSTLY in Canada. As my full face helmet by Shoei, fits like a charm, but cost me a bit over $680.00. No damage to the other two, but they were more then 6 yrs of age & that is when helmets tend to faile to to their jobs if a blow to the head.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Yes ideally hand signals by cyclists should be used but I saw a suburbanite wheel past the neighbourhood stop sign and then cross over to the oncoming lane without a signal. Despite the helmet, the cyclist did not seem to obligate himself to respecting the other obligations of the Highway Traffic Act. One day, he may have a tale to tell of a near miss or maybe he won't be around to tell it.

~~~~~~~

I saw an item online about a cyclist hitting cattle. I would not say that the animals suddenly appeared on the road but rather say their appearance was unanticipated and due to the speed/slope of descent, preventing a strike seemed unlikely. Perhaps cycling needs a "herd hazard" sign in areas where farming prevails.

Danish cyclist breaks collar bone after crashing into cattle in Italian race
Reported by The Associated Press
Posted Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 11:25am

COPENHAGEN - A Danish rider competing in Italy's Brixia Tour stage race says he has broken his collar bone and suffered concussion after crashing into cattle that had strayed onto the course.

Twenty-year-old Martin Lind, who races for Denmark's Christina Watches team, tells The Associated Press on Thursday that he was riding downhill at around 60 km/h when the animals suddenly wandered onto the road and into the peloton. http://www.ckom.com/content/danish-cyclist-crashes-cattle-italy
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby last chance on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong has been formally charged with using performance-enhancing drugs by the US Anti-Doping Agency. The case will now be heard by an arbitration panel, who will decide the outcome of the hearing.

Armstrong, whose seven wins came consecutively between 1999 to 2005, could be stripped of his titles and banned from cycling if found guilty. However, the 40-year-old denies doping, noting he has never failed a drug test.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18655970

This is beyond ridiculous. It's beginning to feel like a witch hunt and possibly some jealousy in his success. If he did with it they need to deal with it, but I have to wonder especially when he hasn't failed any drug tests they administered.
last chance

PreviousNext

Return to Sports