Pro Hockey

Pro Hockey

Postby burnt fare on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Given the months of interest in the Phoenix Coyotes' future, that team starts off the hockey thread in Sports.

Boivin: Coyotes say it's 'us vs. everybody'
by Paola Boivin - Oct. 6, 2009 07:48 PM
The Arizona Republic
The desert is proof that life can sprout in the most-dire conditions. In Glendale, a group of players with giant chips on their shoulders hope to prove that success can be found amid a wasteland of court documents, fan apathy and uncertainty.

"We have that 'us against everybody' thing going," Coyotes captain Shane Doan said, "and we're trying to use it as much as we can."

They used it in a surprising, 6-3 season-opening victory in Los Angeles and hope for the same against the defending Stanley Cup-champion Pittsburgh Penguins tonight. They are securely locked into one-game-at-a-time mode as their future remains in ludicrous limbo. Their on-ice promise is a welcome respite from a shameful off-season that tarnished the reputation of a league, a fan base and an ambassador of the game. http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2009/10/06/20091006boivincoyotes1007.html
Burger time
burnt fare

Re: Pro Hockey

Postby yukon on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:23 pm

It's been a while since the Toronto Maple Leafs did any cashing in on the ice, but as ever it's a different story at the box office. According to a recent survey, a Leafs game remains the most expensive night out in the National Hockey League – and it's not even close.

According to Chicago-based Team Marketing Report's annual survey released this week, Maple Leafs games at the Air Canada Centre carry an average ticket price equivalent to $117.49 (U.S.) this season, more than double the league's average price of $51.41.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nh ... nhl-at-585

Insane bloody insane. Almost 600 bucks to freeze for 3 -4 hours, eat bad food, squished into seats, need binoculars to see most of the action and then the team loses most of the time. Even if they didn't, 600 buck for a night of hockey is NUTS!!! Even at an average of 50 bucks for one seat is insane. How will they pay those outrageous saleries when no one buys tickets. Sooner or later, probably sooner the teams will be playing to mostly empty seats. They need to get their act together.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Coyotes launch 'We Win, You Win' promotion
by Sarah McLellan - Oct. 15, 2009 10:48 PM
The Arizona Republic
The Coyotes are launching a "We Win, You Win" ticket promotion that gives fans a free ticket to an upcoming game if the team wins.

During designated nights, fans in attendance will receive a voucher. If the team wins that game, fans can redeem their game ticket and voucher for a free ticket to an upcoming game. The ticket can only be redeemed at the box office at Jobing.com Arena.http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2009/10/15/20091015coyotesbrief-CR.html

How does the promotion help the team to make money? I would look at their licensed merchandise and concession prices.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:04 pm

Yukon: I thing this picture says it all:

The legendary willingness of Leafs-loving Torontonians to dish out mortgage-payment-like sums to witness a perennial loser may have reached its breaking point.

Tickets to Maple Leafs games are being sold for unprecedented low prices on the open market – in what ticket brokers and resellers say is an early sign of a backlash against the club's league-topping ticket prices and basement-dwelling performance.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nh ... ooling-off

Stop showing up for the games and then they may get the hint. Lower the prices. Especially when the team is in the gutter this season and the season has barely begun.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 pm

After $8,000 in booze, were Oilers drunk?

Eight thousand bucks sure sounds like a lot of booze.

That's how much 45 Edmonton Oilers and their entourage consumed on New Year's Eve at Calgary's Osteria de Medici. Then the fun started. The Oilers party took issue with the roughly $17,000 bill (once food and 18 per cent gratuity were factored in). They refused to pay more than $13,000. Restaurant owner Maurizio Terrigno went public, shaming the hockey team.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/7 ... drunk?bn=1

Judging by the numbers, it certainly looks like they were loaded.

Gives the team a big black eye. Even thought the Owner of the restaurant could end up in trouble, just does not look good for the Oilers. Wonder if any of these guys drove after the party. If they did and that information comes out, it will make matters a lot worse.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby burnt fare on Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:07 pm

If Oilers were on a budget for the evening's meal, then why did the team not arrange a planner to make the menu and arrangements ahead of time? Sounds like they partied hearty without a care until the bill came. They are adults--not newbies on the scene. The restaurant staff probably had to help with serving and maybe extra hours, so the owner likely was using its group policy about gratuities and any service charges given the large size of the group.

Time for the team members to get media relations training and attitude check 101.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby deja vu on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 pm

While many would like the NHL debate on head shots to be over, clearly it isn’t. Not by a long shot.

Last night in Montreal, fans were treated to the sickening sight of Florida Panthers forward David Booth, the victim of the hit from Mike Richards last fall that really started the ball rolling towards a recent NHL rule change on head shots, lying on the ice again after being drilled in the head with a shoulder check.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/ar ... -head?bn=1

They need to really crack down now and bring penalties that will get the players attention. Until they do it's just lucky no one has been crippled or died from a head shot. Just a matter of time before that happens and the way it is going, could be sooner than later.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:59 pm

A good post yukon & reason I do not even go to Jr. Hockey games since back in late 40s, bar a few, where the better player in a Canmore team was my best friend.

Rarely will I watch the TV screen of hockey games bar this Winter Olympics to watch the Cdn Women & Mends hockey games at the finals.

I can get more injoyment out of watching curling either mens or womens teams on the TV, but have not visited the local curling rink since back in the early 60s for I no longer curled myself though use to from '44 till '54. At least Curling is a game I can understand & not the Blood & Guts of present hockey time yet use to plack hocke from a young kid going to school to finally shift over to comp speed-skating of the old North American form.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Boston Bruins center Marc Savard believes the hit to the head he took from Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke was made with “a little intent to injure” and that he’s still feeling the effects of the check that likely ended his season.

Savard returned to the TD Garden on Saturday for the first time since sustaining a Grade 2 concussion on March 7. “To me, it was a shoulder and I watched the (Mike) Richards on (David) Booth hit,” Savard said before the Bruins beat the Calgary Flames 5-0. “I think that was a shoulder. ... I think mine was more of an elbow, so I think there was an attempt to injure there.”

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36065876/ns/sports-nhl/

Why bother with a new rule when the NHL is dismissing this and the refs did nothing about it? I guess they are waiting for someone to be injured for life or dead before they man up and start taking this serious.

Smitty: At least Curling is a game I can understand & not the Blood & Guts of present hockey time yet use to plack hocke from a young kid going to school to finally shift over to comp speed-skating of the old North American form.

Hockey has become more violent and the NHL is still dragging it's heels on the issue. It all comes down to the fact these players make big bucks and draw the crowds so they wont do much. Hit them in the pocket book and then real change may happen. If the fans walk out of the arena when this violence occurs then the NHL may take the hint. Near empty arenas will get their attention.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 pm

Sensible post deja vu, for I see all coaches or media, in the hockey world, want hockey back to REALY hockey & get rid of all the Olympic crap. Why just look at the antics one coach had the other day & we all realize this is normal or so the NHL feel it is normal.

If you cannot control your outlook on matters, as he could not, then others in the hockey world can perform the same antics or worse & still feel THAT is how hockey is now.
smitty

Next

Return to Sports