Pro Hockey

Re: Pro Hockey

Postby CielOnTap on Sat May 01, 2010 6:20 pm

A year later, Phoenix Coyotes still in trouble
May 01, 2010
Kevin McGran
Torstar News Service

It was a sunny afternoon last May 5 when NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was heading to Jerry Moyes’s office in Phoenix with the news that he had found someone to take the financially-troubled Coyotes off his hands.

Bettman never got to deliver the news that Chicago sports baron Jerry Reinsdorf was willing to take the team in a deal that was dependent upon getting a subsidy from the city of Glendale.

Instead, he took a phone call from Moyes’s lawyer, Earl Scudder; Moyes had found a buyer of his own — Canadian billionaire and RIM co-founder Jim Balsillie. Moyes was going to take the team into bankruptcy and Balsillie would pay $212.5 million (all figures U.S.) for the team and move it to Hamilton. http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/761651
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sat May 14, 2011 1:51 pm

>

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/ar ... at-28?bn=1

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011 ... t/related/

Sadly 28 year old New York Rangers forward Derek Boogaard has passed away. He has been sidelined by a concussion since December and that may be a contributing factor in his death.

The NHL has been ignoring the increasing number of concussions and the voices demanding they start cracking down on the violence. They may not be able to avoid the subject if it contributed to his death.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sat May 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Did a hockey player, knowen for him fighting on the ice, pass away to-day & young Crosby has not been back to his team that has been wiped out due to a concussion.

I hate it when talking to players of a team some of the radio or TV reporters say STUPI thing like "I did not see enough HATE", yet the hockey player felt there was no need for hate. To another that stated "this game could have been better with more blood".
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 pm

The Boston Bruins defeated the Vancouver Canucks in last night's game and there were some people who took the loss as a reason to start vandalizing property and to riot. Over a game?? Just who is going to pay for the damages?

Then there is the aspect that some of the people participating in the destruction had bandannas on. I read that Facebook groups are asking users to identify people from photos. This sounds like the West Coast version of the Toronto G20 riots.

Vancouver police arrest nearly 100 in riot
Damage to shops and streets to cost millions

CBC News Posted: Jun 16, 2011 8:17 AM ET Last Updated: Jun 16, 2011 2:52 PM ET
Vancouver police Chief Jim Chu said close to 100 people were arrested during the riots in the city's downtown core following the final game of the Stanley Cup on Wednesday night.

Residents of the city awoke Thursday to the aftermath of the city's worst riot in decades, facing a massive cleanup and questions about how the mob fury came to be unleashed after the Canucks lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final to the Boston Bruins.

Chu defended the police preparations, but said in hindsight it would have been better to have more police deployed downtown initially. He said the main police tactic was to suppress the riot by dispersing the crowd, a task which he said took three hours.

He described the instigators as anarchists and criminals who appeared to be the same people involved in the pre-Olympic demonstrations and noted police saw many equipped with goggles, gasoline and other tools to create damage.http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2011/06/16/bc-riot-thursday.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:42 pm

>
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vancou ... story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vancou ... story.html

They are thugs and were not down there as Canuck Fans. These thugs show up whenever big events like this go on, just hoping for a chance to destroy
property. They showed up during the Olympics looking for trouble. This time some were unmasked by the true Canuck fans and had their photos taken. It's just a matter of time before the police match names and photos and cart them off to face the music.

I'm not sure the insurance companies will be kind to the properties that were hit. The Bay, London Drugs and others all knew there could be trouble and did nothing to stop it. The smart ones boarded up their windows and have no issues The Bay may also have a lawsuit on their hands from the ONE person they left in the store last night. Poor guy had a fire extinguisher and was told to keep any looters away. He was beaten up and spent a few hours in the hospital after the police regained control.

The Glass Companies are the big winners because they are making a fortune on the hundreds of windows that need to be replaced.

Vancouver is recovering and her citizens are making the difference. A lot have headed downtown to join in on the cleanup. They are doing a great job and letting the world know that Vancouver is a safe place and a few thugs wont change that.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:26 pm

More cars set on fire then I realized. I noted the one chap inside (from TV filming) with red shirt & red tie.

Seemed someone tried to help him, but before he had a chance the mob took him down, concusion along with purctured rib, not ideal for still in the hospital.

YES maze of real hockey fans to Vancouver citizen had see the mess the prior night & were down in their grubby gear, gloves, brooms & you name it. They simply cannot have this black NAME stay on Vancouver itself. Same with the Vancouver Canuck hockey team.

I do not recall this being done in 1994 or the 2010 Winter Olumpics mess either.

The crowds hanging around to see all the so called FUN to thier assumption ACTUALLY incourged more & more idots to make fools of theirselves & more burning & damage.

I think there was one gal with cuts to her back, just when the Hudson Bay was broken into, but have to wonder if that was some of the broken glass. NO WORD ON THIS ONE only last evening she was injured. Not to mention some indicual knive work on other humans. How you get rid of such things I really do not know, especially as the Police were being kind & suggesting they go home.

Some hung around for many hrs just to see the fun AND that incourges others to put on foolish things.
smitty

Postby smitty on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Smitty wrote:More cars set on fire then I realized. I noted the one chap inside (from TV filming) with red shirt & red tie.

Seemed someone tried to help him, but before he had a chance the mob took him down, concusion along with purctured rib, not ideal for still in the hospital.

YES maze of real hockey fans to Vancouver citizen had see the mess the prior night & were down in their grubby gear, gloves, brooms & you name it. They simply cannot have this black NAME stay on Vancouver itself. Same with the Vancouver Canuck hockey team.

I do not recall this being done in 1994 or the 2010 Winter Olumpics mess either.

The crowds hanging around to see all the so called FUN to thier assumption ACTUALLY incourged more & more idots to make fools of theirselves & more burning & damage.

I think there was one gal with cuts to her back, just when the Hudson Bay was broken into, but have to wonder if that was some of the broken glass. NO WORD ON THIS ONE only last evening she was injured. Not to mention some indicual knive work on other humans. How you get rid of such things I really do not know, especially as the Police were being kind & suggesting they go home. Besids a bank, to HBC, to London Drugs also Zellers was broken into.

Some hung around for many hrs just to see the fun AND that incourges others to put on foolish things.
smitty

Postby smitty on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:20 pm

I was a Zamboni man, in this town & know it cost a fortune for hockey protective gear. What amazed me is little kids came from school wearing the best of portective gear, helmets & face guards. Most of them sort of loss their standing on the ice, unless the hockey stick saved them or so many had a sort of turbular thing around them to help them stay upright, them might fall backwards, but did help a bit.

Just glad I am an old bachelor with no kids. This must be costing the parents a fortune, for it also includes the parents to drive there as well & more-so wih some that are in almost infant to Pee-Wee to Jr. Hockey teams.

One of the gals, working out on the gym, hated the goal keeper gear her son had, probably close to Pee Wee team size, for she put the gear at the front of her car & sprayed it with Frebeze to TRY & remove the stink, as she called it & another gal, at the gym agreed with her as the same stink from her son's hockey gear.

So really do all parents have the maze of money for such gear? Better still do people have the maze of money for the costly tickets along with their travel to Boston, or Vancouver???
smitty

Postby deja vu on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Smitty:
So really do all parents have the maze of money for such gear? Better still do people have the maze of money for the costly tickets along with their travel to Boston, or Vancouver???

Smitty, sadly they don't. So many kids miss out due to the cost of equipment these days. Thank God some Rec. Centers have fairs so parents can pick up good quality 2nd hand equipment at a decent price. Without those so many would not have the chance to participate in organized sports. As for travel to the US or Canada. Last minute deals may be why so many were able to make the trip between Boston and Vancouver.

On another note:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breaki ... 04924.html

The Jets are back in town. Winnipeg that is, and it seems the majority want the Jets name of the past to stick around for the future. It's about time as Winnipeg has been without an NHL team for too long.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:31 pm

<
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/ar ... hotel?bn=1

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/ar ... ake-action

Three months in a row that a player or former player have killed themselves. Sadly number 3 is former Leaf Wade Belak who was in Toronto when he took his own life. He leaves a wife and 2 young girls to try and understand what happened and pick up the pieces that have shattered their lives.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sports