Major League Baseball

Re: Major League Baseball

Postby rodeorope on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:36 pm

He is not a sympathetic figure. He erred in a way few in baseball have erred. He made bets on games while still in uniform, which was (and still is) strictly prohibited. Rose did not bet against his own team, as some of the similarly disgraced 1919 Chicago White Sox did, but his gambling habits broke a code of conduct, violated a set-in-stone rule and earned him a "lifetime" ban that Rose was tagged with after a Major League Baseball internal investigation in 1989.

Complicating matters, Rose spent close to 15 years denying all allegations until fessing up in a book he wrote in 2004. Furthermore, he was slapped with a five-month prison sentence and a thousand hours of community service for two felony counts of evading income tax.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/21/opinion/d ... hpt=hp_bn7

Pete Rose:

Should he or shouldn't he if the rules were changed? Nah, with the betting and denial after denial and irking Uncle Sam, he is not gunning for brownie points. I think they did the right thing to keep him out. Sure he has a lot of accomplishments, but he sunk himself and has no one else to blame. My problem with all of this is what about the players that did steroids, will they join Rose on the ban list when their careers are over. Doesn't seem fare to punish him and let others off the hook when they cheat.
rodeorope

Postby yukon on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 pm

Former baseball slugger Jose Canseco, who accidentally shot himself in a finger on his left hand while cleaning a gun, tweeted a photo of the injured hand on Wednesday. "Hope I can keep my finger but grateful it wasn't something worse," he tweeted.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/us/jose-c ... -accident/

They don't teach people to make sure the gun isn't loaded before cleaning it?

At least no one else was hurt.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby up-down on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:34 pm

I'm still shaking my head at a sportscaster on air during the Blue Jays/ Rangers playoff game. Clearly he knows little about sports in this country.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2015/10/1 ... ments.html

“There’s not a lot of people that grew up playing baseball in Canada, they’re not used to catching a lot of balls in the stands … not many people catching that one anyway,” he said during Sunday night’s broadcast.

We can catch them just fine, thank you, our records at every level show that. A bad joke and no one is laughing up here, it just re-enforces the idea that while we share a long border, they still do not know much about us. Does he also think we live in igloos, have polar bears as pets, and it's winter all year round.
Inside out, round & round, upside down. Which way am I going?
up-down
Starting Member
Starting Member

Previous

Return to Sports