Major League Baseball

Re: Major League Baseball

Postby no1home on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:04 pm

The Los Angeles Dodgers baseball club has filed for bankruptcy in a Delaware court, blaming Major League Baseball for not approving a television deal that could have kept the team secure.

Bankruptcy permits the Dodgers to use $150m (£94m) for daily operations and gives the team time to to seek a media deal, the club said in a statement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13931454

Saw that one coming a mile away. McCourt has trouble coming from all sides and circling the wagons isn't going
to help him one bit. The courts are going to have fun with this one.
no1home

Postby deja vu on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:27 pm

>
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43692604

A tragedy that could have been avoided at a Texas Rangers game. Catching a baseball should not cost a person their life. Unfortunately a gentleman has lost his life and his son will be scarred for life having witnessed the tragedy. The news showed the tape of it and it showed that the upper decks of stadiums do little to protect people determined to catch the ball.

It's not something that is unique to Texas it has happened in other parts of the US and Canada. Sadly as time goes on it's forgotten and nothing is done to protect people. How many more have to be badly injured or die before they do something about the upper decks at Stadiums?
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:41 pm

deja vu , I saw that incident last evening to where the chap trying to catch the hand ball fell some 30 feet to his death. Sorry for his son as well for baseball or even softball is fun to be one of the team.

Yes I was also hearing of one of the well knowen hames of one baseball tearm folding up due to lack of that thing called MONEY. Pity about that for I can spen ALL day watching the two teams play. True some feel football or hockey is THE THING, but in my mind it is baseball & even after school years we played softball against other teams backed up by another hardware or business firm.

Like being knew to this city & this street I came out with a glove, softball bat, to a soft ball & soon all of us were going after the ball. Those that cought it then took over the hitting. That was a continual street thing for us, bar what softball games we missed.
smitty

Postby smitty on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:56 pm

I well remember in this chap Richard asking how he could get in & it was so simple as all he had to do was get down with the rest to try catch he softball & then he could be the hitter.

That was an interesting family for Jacobson was his last name, though mother was Chinese & father was a Cdn Causasian, & was an engineer---husband & wife spoke in English & Chinese so really your ears tried to catch what they were saying. She obtained the names of our home phone numbers & phoned our parents asking if she could give us some Lemon-Aid.

Obviously it was YES. Mr. Jacobson heard about my interest in my father's drill press, the Metal cutting lathe to the grinder, table saw & such (I could use with my Father's guidence) & how I took to the plans Mr. Jacobson had about bridges & such.

So along with Bill (name I cannot recall though it was Polish & heard it when his mother called about supper or whatever) while Paul Nite was of Cdn parents.

Obviously the four of us walked to school & back home again. Being a bit tougher then the rest NO ONE picked on any of them & especially Richard for the War II was on & they called him a "*****" when in trutch he was a bit Chinese. Actually a smart kid in school classes with honors all the time.
smitty

Postby cubed on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:15 pm

The Texas Rangers will raise the height of the rails at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, the team said Tuesday, after a 39-year-old fan fell to his death while trying to catch a ball.

"Even though all current rail heights in Rangers Ballpark in Arlington currently exceed code, the Rangers intend to raise the height of all rails in front of seating areas to the highest standard in the United States at this time," the team said in a statement.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/07/19/tex ... index.html

Progress but how long will it take to finish? They can put up signs and warn all they want but in the heat of the moment someone will think more about catching the ball than their personal safety.
cubed

Postby deja vu on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:11 pm

His eyes tearing up with emotion, Washington Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos embraced his rescuers Saturday and said he had wondered whether he would survive a two-day kidnapping ordeal that ended when commandos swept into his captors' mountain hideout.

Ramos said that he was happy and thankful to be alive a day after his rescue, saying that his final moments as a prisoner were hair-raising as police and the kidnappers exchanged heavy gunfire in the remote area where he was being held. He said his kidnappers had carefully planned the abduction and told him they were going to demand a large ransom.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=380201

I saw this on the morning news and they said that kidnappings are the norm there and big business. He was there for the Winter Baseball season and he and the other high priced players may want to reconsider that now. Definately not a safe place to be when no one is surprised that it happened.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 pm

msnbc:
Reggie Jackson made headlines last week for saying that Kirby Puckett, Gary Carter, Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton, and Phil Niekro shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame, and also for saying that Alex Rodriguez‘s numbers should be questioned due to performance enhancing drugs.

Jackson later apologized and Rodriguez seemingly brushed it off by saying: “With friends like that, who needs enemies.” However, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com the Yankees aren’t so quick to forgive Mr. October’s comments and he’s been “told to stay away from team events indefinitely.” Olney notes that Jackson is a paid “special advisor” to the Yankees and often travels with the team, but was not in Boston over the weekend.

First thing that came to mind is you don't bite the hand that feeds you. I do wonder what issue he has with those players he mentioned. They earned it just as much as he did, so what is his problem?
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eureka on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Rodriguez received a 211-game ban from the league, which would be effective on Aug. 8 and last through the end of the 2014 season. He is appealing the ban, the league said, and is eligible to play until an appeals verdict is rendered.

The bans to the other players linked with the Biogenesis clinic are effective immediately, which knocks out those players for virtually all of the remaining games this regular season. They would be eligible for the postseason, should their teams reach and the terms of their suspensions end.

“As a social institution with enormous social responsibilities, baseball must do everything it can to maintain integrity, fairness and a level playing field,” MLB Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. “We are committed to working together with players to reiterate that performance-enhancing drugs will not be tolerated in our game.”

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/ ... d/related/

What, fairness, level playing field? So why is A-Rod allowed to play during an appeal and the others are not? Doesn't seem
fair to me?
Eureka

Postby trailblaze on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez has been hit with a 162-game suspension from arbitrator Fredric Horowitz, effectively ruling him out for the entire 2014 season. The suspension also covers the postseason.

Rodriguez originally received a 211-game suspension from MLB in August due to his alleged ties to Biogenesis, an anti-aging clinic in South Florida which supplied performance-enhancing drugs. A number of high-profile players were suspended for their involvement in the scandal, including Ryan Braun, Nelson Cruz, and Jhonny Peralta, but Rodriguez received the biggest penalty of them all, allegedly for interfering with MLB’s investigation.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/ ... n/related/

Win or lose the damage has been done to his reputation. and what is on some minds is if he is off the year, will he be fit enough for 2015?

That is a big fall from grace for a lot of high profile players, not sure if any can recover, so their glory days may be behind them and rightfully so. While others work hard to get to the top of the game, these guys took the easy way to the top and should not be allowed to remain there.
trailblaze

Postby deja vu on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Sure hope they don't cave in and let him off the hook. If they do that, then why bother with any penalties? Just because the World Series is big bucks for the teams and owners, they should still do what is right. Set the example would be a nice change.

If this doesn't add to his fall from grace, I don't know what will.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/a ... -1.2494007

Major League Baseball's key witness in its case against Alex Rodriguez said he designed and administered an elaborate doping program for the 14-time All-Star starting in 2010.

Anthony Bosch, the founder of the now shuttered Florida anti-aging clinic, Biogenesis, said in a "60 Minutes" interview aired on CBS on Sunday night that Rodriguez paid him $12,000 US per month to provide him with an assortment of banned drugs that included testosterone and human growth hormone.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sports