Major League Baseball

Re: Major League Baseball

Postby rodeorope on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:34 pm

MILWAUKEE - First Carlos Gomez heard voices. Then he watched his iPod go haywire after he got out of the shower, sending him scrambling for the lobby without stopping to put on his pants and shoes.

After last year's experience, the Minnesota Twins outfielder didn't want to go back to Milwaukee's Pfister Hotel. But Gomez had to stay there when the Twins were in town to play the Milwaukee Brewers last month, so he brought some protection: Teammate-turned-roommate Francisco Liriano and a Bible.

"Everything's scary," Gomez said. "Everything in the hotel, the paintings and pictures, it's a lot of old, crazy stuff. No good, man. No good."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31853150/

Priceless. Who you gonna call? No, not Ghostbusters,

Ghost Hunters: Would make for a good episode on the Sci Fi channels.

rodeorope

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Wise’s acrobatic catch gives Buehrle perfection
13 hours, 28 minutes ago

CHICAGO (AP)—Mark Buehrle’s(notes) biggest scare turned into the finest play of DeWayne Wise’s(notes) career.

Buehrle watched in anticipation as Wise, just in as a defensive replacement, raced toward the left-center wall and leaped, crashed, tumbled and—finally— raised the ball up with his bare left hand.

The perfect game was alive.

After Wise’s acrobatic catch in the ninth inning, Buerhle got two easy outs to coolly close out the 18th perfect game in major league history, a 5-0 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday. Catch of the day
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby no1home on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:57 pm

PHILADELPHIA — Transit system workers in Philadelphia voted to authorize a union strike Sunday, less than a week before the Phillies play their first home game of the World Series, but a transit spokesman said he hopes a deal can be concluded before then. Willie Brown, president of the Transport Workers Union Local 234, said the 4,700 workers voted overwhelmingly to allow him to call a strike if negotiations with the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority fail. Talks are slated to resume Monday.

Brown said he hoped a walkout would not affect the series, but he said workers have been without a contract since March and have not had a raise since December. "This is the last week we're going to work without a contract," Brown said, while vowing to "leave no stone unturned" to reach a deal. SEPTA spokesman Richard Maloney said he hopes an accord can be reached quickly. "We made a lot of progress last week, and there's no reason why in next couple of days this shouldn't be done," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569 ... latestnews

This could get ugly if the strike happens. The workers are smart to try this now they may get a lot more than they are asking.
no1home

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Interesting name that this man has for his public address voice used during baseball games!

Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009

'Voice of God' announces retirement
NEW YORK (AP) Bob Sheppard has no intentions of returning to his longtime job as the public address announcer at Yankee Stadium, MLB.com reported Thursday. Sheppard, who is 99, hasn't worked a game since late in the 2007 season due to illness.

"I have no plans of coming back," Sheppard said. "Time has passed me by, I think. . . . I enjoyed doing what I did. I don't think, at my age, I'm going to suddenly regain the stamina that is really needed if you do the job and do it well."

Famous for his distinct and resonant tones, Sheppard became the PA announcer at the old Yankee Stadium in 1951. Decades later, Reggie Jackson gave him the nickname "The Voice of God." http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sb20091128a1.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Mon May 10, 2010 10:21 pm

If life were as simple as fiction, the book on Ken Griffey Jr. and the Seattle Mariners would have closed late last summer, with him being carried around Safeco Field on the shoulders of his teammates. Adored by fans, appreciated by one and all, his place in baseball history secure.

We’re rarely that lucky – any of us. Junior wanted one more year, the Mariners thought it might work and gave it to him. And now, less than 35 games in the 2010 season, Griffey is in his final days as a player.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/05/1 ... iners.html

Sadly it looks like his ego is fueling his decisions. It's time for him to retire with grace.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rodeorope on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:09 pm

He was baseball's bombastic Boss. He rebuilt the New York Yankees dynasty with sky-high payrolls and accepted nothing less than World Series championships.

He fired managers. Rehired them. And fired them again. He butted heads with commissioners and fellow owners, insulted his players and dominated tabloid headlines - even upstaging the All-Star game on the day of his death.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38222042/ ... -baseball/

Definately shoes that will be hard if not impossible to fill. A huge personality that didn't shy away from anything. Unique, a classic, one in a million, colorful, and always spoke his mind. The Yankees will become just another baseball team now. :roll:
rodeorope

Postby Speak-Ez on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Hats off to the manager of the Twins, Ron Gardenhire :!: I suppose it's natural for the fans caught up in the moment to not like the decision. Many may not have even known much about Kevin Slowey's recent elbow problems.

But the manager showed quality management style by thinking about his pitcher and looking at the future instead of trying to get extra attention for the team by letting his pitcher try for that no-hitter. Sure the no-hitter, if it happened, would be a way to add some money to the team's coffers and get the Twins more media attention (more money), but if it messed up that pitcher's elbow, then what?

Nope, I like this guy's thinking -- Mr. Gardenhire. And clearly Mr. Slowey understood and appreciated the management style also.

"I was encouraged by the way it was presented to me," Slowey said. "I was encouraged by the fact that Gardy and (pitching coach Rick Anderson) care a whole lot about me as a person and as a pitcher in the long term than they do about winning one game or having one accomplishment. I think that said a lot about them, and it says a lot about our organization."

Read more about it here: http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/ro ... asy-262628

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Zelkovich: Anger over Sportsnet One could be productive
Published On Sun Sep 5 2010

By Chris Zelkovich
Sports Media Columnist
Betty Tucker has no idea what she started. Inspired by the retired Willowdale nurse’s angry comments over the Rogers Sportsnet One situation in The Star on Friday, hundreds of Toronto Blue Jays fans aired their displeasure in emails and phone calls.

There’s 98-year-old Dollie Shoveller, a former Ontario softball champion who loves nothing more than watching her beloved Blue Jays, but now can’t because her Hamilton retirement home can’t get Sportsnet One.

Then there’s 90-year-old Margaret McDonald, another baseball lover who can’t get the channel. Hearing problems mean radio broadcasts aren’t even an option.http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/857171--zelkovich-anger-over-sportsnet-one-could-be-productive?bn=1
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:07 pm

That is REALLY A LET DOWN when someone of an older age cannot watch & hear the comments of a baseball game. Even more so if the city/town does not have the Rogers TV channels in that city.

When I use to go down into the USA to do some m/c competion a fellow rider, from the States, asked me if I would like to see a baseball game & YES was the answer. What he did not say is that it was softball with women players to also that some relative of his was playing.

I really did injoy it for some yrs ago we had a good town/city backed softball team way ahead of the others when they asked if they could bring out a relative to pich. Sure & of all things it was a gal!!!!!!!. Honest to gosh we could not even guess where the soft ball was going when she pitched.

At a drugstore for a cool drink I found out that this gal was a pitcher for a University team. So any time I heard about Womens Soft Ball then I would be there on the bleechers to injoy all the action.
smitty

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Sat May 07, 2011 8:30 pm

We have a fair number of Canadian folks on this board, don't we? I'm afraid some of you that follow baseball may not care to read this, so I'll give you the early lines from sports writer Mark Zwolinski, and then post the link below.

Cool, calm, and nasty.

If Justin Verlander looked like the picture of calmness and efficiency in his no hitter against the Jays Saturday, it’s because the experience wasn’t new to him.

A career first no-hitter back in 2007 helped Verlander handle nerves and adrenalin spikes Saturday. The rest was pure nasty — he touched 100 miles per hour on the speed gun in each of the final three innings as he mowed the Jays down 9-0 before 23,453 appreciative onlookers at the Rogers Centre.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/ ... -jays?bn=1

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sports