2018 World Series ― Dodgers / Red Sox

2018 World Series ― Dodgers / Red Sox

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:40 am

So that autumn sports event in the United States called the World Series kicked off today. A few notes and a link to a good clip of highlights.

The game was stated as being 3 hours and 52 minutes long and from what I saw of the highlights it was not a boring almost 4 hours.

But it got very interesting when a player that had just gotten into the game in the bottom of the 7th inning, a Dodger left fielder, had a challenge of a nasty fly ball and just missed catching it. I think the ball just brushed past the top of his glove webbing. I think that player just getting into that Game 1 out there in left was Pederson. I better check to see if I've got that right. I got kind of busy just after that. You could sense it was an important hit into left.

The play-by-play guy behind the mike had a chance for this one:

"The ball usually finds the new guy, and on a cold night ..."

Then after two outs and an intentional walk Joe Buck got the chance to give his listening audience these words:

"... and the Red Sox open up Game 1."

It was a homerun that gave the Red Sox three more points.

So, if you want to see a good clip of highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHTp3_a3AUA

And I haven't actually informed you of what the final score was, have I? Maybe you'll want to check out that highlights clip. It's a good one.
________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2018 World Series ― Dodgers / Red Sox

Postby Speak-Ez on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:43 am

And Game Two is history and I think we won't give you the score, just in case you haven't seen any other information about this that some have referred to as a (the) Baseball Classic.

But a little of the language used besides that might be what we hear early in the game when the play-by-play microphone jockey gets excited and you hear:

"... hammered into left-center field. It is off the Monster."

I'm sorry for referring to him as a microphone jockey, but it is the World Series, so we need to use interesting English. Might be some will state that is an English used a few generations back. Yes, I can be officially classified as old.

You might wonder about that upper-case 'M' for "Monster" but it would be more fun if you can find the answer yourself as to why that "Monster" is a proper noun. Actually they call it the Green Monster and it sure fits.

So let us use the same person's highlight video efforts for this second game, and no score given here so the highlight video might be a good piece of sports entertainment, if you don't know who won the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zErz9upJTI4

Next they move to a warmer location for Game 3, where those Dodger folks have their home turf, and an interesting point will be no designated hitter, which means the pitcher has to hit, instead of a DH hitting for the pitcher, as they do in the American League. (I don't think they refer to it as "turf" on a baseball field.)
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dreamon on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:15 am

You found better highlights then some of the sports sites have.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby Speak-Ez on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:41 am

We must change our style for this third game, as will be obvious when you see the title of the article provided in the link below.

And given the circumstances, we'll use the LA Times for our source in this post.

Dodgers beat Red Sox in the longest game in World Series history

Let me give you some of the opening observations from the field at the end of the game, and a few reasons offered as to what makes this one so special:

The joyous throng gathered around home plate at 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, seven hours and 20 minutes after this monstrosity of a baseball game had begun.

Never before had a World Series game lasted this long.

Never before had a playoff game lasted this long. Never before had the Dodgers experienced a victory quite like their 3-2 walkoff over the Boston Red Sox in Game 3 of the World Series, an 18-inning agony that ended with sweet relief when Max Muncy launched a solo home run.

And it might be appropriate to cover some key reasons why this game went beyond the customary nine innings; and I'm still using the same article from the LA Times, but a little further down the page.

A series of excruciating outcomes sent the game into extra innings. A symbol of urgency rose midway through the seventh inning, as the Dodgers clung to a one-run lead against baseball's best offense. Kenley Jansen had logged only a pair of two-inning appearances all season, but the time for caution had long passed. Needing a victory to stall Boston's momentum, Roberts turned to his closer.

After seven scoreless innings from rookie ace Walker Buehler, it was up to Jansen to slam the door. He could not. He served up a tying solo home run tor Jackie Bradley, Jr., on a 2-0 cutter with two out in the eighth. Jansen returned for a scoreless ninth, but his mistake ruined a gorgeous outing from Buehler, who struck out seven and permitted two hits in seven scoreless innings.

In the bottom of the ninth, the Dodgers squandered an opportunity. One day removed from an 88-pitch start in Game 2, Boston's David Price loped into the game. He gave up a leadoff single to Cody Bellinger. Trying to put himself in scoring position, Bellinger got picked off, moments before Yasmani Grandal took a walk. Cora turned to closer Craig Kimbrel, who walked Chris Taylor but got pinch-hitter Dozier to pop up and strand the runners.

What a game.

As we move on to think about Game Four, we must wonder how the pitching rotation will be affected by the decisions made regarding pitchers used in Game Three.

Very interesting situation.
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:54 pm

We have a chance to make an interesting comparison in some aspects of baseball between Japan and the United States.

We will call upon Mr. Mr. Jason Coskrey's approach in writing about what happened in Game One of the Japan Series, which is their Fall Classic.

Mr. Coskrey writes for the Japan Times.

Japan Series opener ends in 12-inning tie

And we need to provide you with more information for this post than the ones above because many of you will need more background before you decide whether to visit the Japan Times page that contains the article. I found it to take forever to load, by the way. But if you have a newer model of computer than I do you will probably have no trouble.

HIROSHIMA – The winner of Game 1 of the 2018 Japan Series was, well, nobody.

Although the relievers for the Hiroshima Carp and Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks certainly warrant an honorable mention.

The Carp scored twice in the first inning, the Hawks scored twice in the fifth, and neither team was able to find its way across home plate after that as Game 1 ended in a 2-2 ,12-inning tie on Saturday night in front of a crowd of 30,727 at Mazda Stadium.

“It was a big tie for us,” Hawks manager Kimiyasu Kudo said. “We’ll be able to take advantage of it.”

On the same day the MLB saw its longest-ever World Series game end in 7 hours and 20 minutes, the Carp and Hawks played for 4 hours and 38 minutes. Japan Series games are considered ties after 12 innings this season, a departure from the usual 15 frames played in the final round.

The tie was the first in the Japan Series since 2010, when the Chiba Lotte Marines and Chunichi Dragons finished 2-2 in Game 6. It was the first to open a Japan Series since 1986, when the Carp and Seibu Lions played a 14-inning, 2-2 draw in Hiroshima. That was also the last Japan Series to require an eighth game, due to the tie. The Lions won the series 4-3, with Kudo, one of the Lions’ star pitchers, named MVP.

. . . continues on their site . . .

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dragonfly on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Rich Hill is starting for the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 4 of the World Series after all. The left-hander was originally announced as the starter, but on Saturday morning the team backed off on him and said its starter was to be announced.

The Dodgers confirmed Hill on their Twitter account after the Red Sox said lefty Eduardo Rodriguez would be their starter. Hill is well-rested, unlike most of the Dodgers' staff. Los Angeles used nine pitchers to eke out a 3-2 victory in Game 3, which lasted a record 7 hours, 20 minutes

https://www.tsn.ca/dodgers-tab-hill-for ... -1.1199422

Can either side handle another lengthy game?
Two parts dark rum, two parts cranberry juice, and one part pineapple juice
dragonfly

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:12 am

You are correct, dreamon, that those highlight clips are very good.

dreamon wrote:You found better highlights then some of the sports sites have.

In fact, even the one for the 18-inning game is very interesting and now I think I should put that link here, in case anyone might want to watch it. Of course, it is longer than the others, so far.

Game Three

As for Game Four, I think I'll go back to the previous style of not posting the final score here so when you watch the highlight clip, and if you don't know the outcome, the watching of the highlight clip might be sort of satisfying.

Game Four

Oh yes, and before you watch the highlight clip for Game Four let me give you a name: Devers.
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:25 am

It seems fair that as we used the LA Times for showing you what happened in Game Three, we should use The Boston Globe here. And we are not going to hide the results.

The front page is what this link takes you to, and using those exact words on their front page.

ONE FOR THE AGES

And if you go down a bit you will see some of the following article headers with the usual link to the full article:

Tara Sullivan
David Price directed his own tale of redemption
It was fitting the Red Sox lefthander turned in his greatest performance in the shadows of Hollywood.

Nick Cafardo | On Baseball
Alex Cora made all the right moves for Red Sox
What he did in leading the Red Sox to a championship will go down as one of the best managerial jobs in the modern era.

Chad Finn | Nine Thoughts
This team was the real deal — from start to finish
This much we know: This brilliant, magical season was never an illusion.

Alex Speier | Instant Analysis
Sox’ treasure trove of talent dominates championship
From the high-priced pitcher to the midseason pickup, everyone contributed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And we will once again provide the link to the highlights clip, but let us offer a thank you to, TrueRGM, for doing that work on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5T3bbyKVes

And instruct your brain to note this line when your ears pick it up.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"They won last night; getting up off the deck."

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Sports