John Havlicek, A U.S. Basketball Great, Has Passed On

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

John Havlicek, A U.S. Basketball Great, Has Passed On

Post by Speak-Ez » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:43 am

I am going to begin this post about John Havlicek, that I am sure many have heard of, by using NPR, but after you read Doreen McCallister's NPR article (Boston Celtics Great And Hall Of Famer John Havlicek Dies At 79) please go back up that page a little and look at this again:
For all his outstanding efforts on the court, the 6-foot-5 Havlicek may be best known for his steal during the closing seconds of Game 7 of the 1965 Eastern Conference championship against the Philadelphia 76ers.

He stole Hal Green's inbounds pass to Sam Jones. As the game ended in a win for Boston, Celtics radio announcer Johnny Most screamed, "Havlicek stole the ball!"
So now that you have that special moment in United States basketball history in mind, let me give you the National Basketball Association's YouTube posting for that moment. It is 6 minutes and 49 seconds long, but you are very likely going to have to view at least part of an advert at the beginning.

And I should first give you here what the NBA placed in their section for describing what they wished (about ten days beyond four years ago) to show the general public:
NBA section of YouTube

Published on Apr 14, 2015

On Wednesday, April 15th, one of the most iconic plays in NBA history celebrates its 50th anniversary.

With five seconds left and the Boston Celtics clinging to a one point lead over Wilt Chamberlain’s Philadelphia 76ers in Game 7 of the 1965 Eastern Conference Finals, John Havlicek achieved basketball immortality. In this special look back at that moment, viewers will see why the play was so special, and why, through one of the most famous calls in sports history, “Havlicek Stole the Ball” lives on to this day. Courtesy: The Boston Globe, April 16 © 1965, 2005. The Boston Globe. Used under License
And here is the link: Havlicek Stole the Ball – 50 Year Anniversary

Finally, I saw one headline that jumped out at me (How could anyone overlook John Havlicek?) as I was doing some research on what the hotshot media professionals were putting up and that title is also the link, but please be aware that this NBC site will be slower than NPR or YouTube and also will be loading a bunch more cookies on your unit. But it is a very interesting thought that somebody would feel they should make mention that possibly some people slide past John Havlicek as one of the best in the history of this sport in the United States.

That link: Tommy Heinsohn: Havlicek often overlooked among Celtics legends
________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: John Havlicek, A U.S. Basketball Great, Has Passed On

Post by deja vu » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:18 am

Wow there is a name I have not heard in a very, very long time. Remember seeing him in action when the odd Boston Game showed up on TV. Rest in peace.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio