Grey Cup

Re: Grey Cup

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:27 pm

Football fans took care to have their pancakes today. Even Albertan PM Alison Redford was on the scene, making some pancakes. Calgary and Toronto mayors swapped football jerseys and promised to give the winning mayor the losing mayor's weight in food to a food bank.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/24/pancake-breakfast-has-fans-flipping-out-at-the-grey-cup-festival

The snow flurries today must have made the breakfast more social as folks chatted in the lineups for food. Snow flurries remain in the forecast for tomorrow. Food vendors will likely have brisk trade to provide hot food for cold fans in the bleachers.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 am

Wet snow flurries, slow-speed, are falling. Definitely not the powder snow of yesterday. Hope all the players and any entertainers have suitable footwear for today's game and show, otherwise fans will be uploading Youtube videos of slips and trips.

The snow does pack as well-for anyone who's cleared snow off of their cars this morning, you noticed that detail already.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=410235 Just realized that the game won't be started in the afternoon but at 6PM ET or 3PM PT. Those stadium lights are going to be very popular warmup spots because dusk falls around 4:30PM here.
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:46 pm

TSN has the game online as well. I noticed that the football players are wearing their short sleeved jerseys-they must be warm enough during the game (wait, there's an Argo with a long-sleeved shirt on). The field looks only slightly dusted with snow; actually, the field resembles damp asphalt on the screen.

Toronto Argonauts are leading the Calgary Stampeders with the score at 17-3.
Cowbells are certainly audible!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:01 pm

I just took a peek. Snow, probably left over from before they closed the dome. From what I'm seeing there are staffers in T-shirts and shorts on the sidelines and fans don't have jackets on.

I'm not watching otherwise, not a fan of either team.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Sorry, I'm not a fan of Mr. Bieber-his voice seems off and his dancing is not that good.

He needs to follow the K-pop groups-they are choreographed to a fine detail and the singers sometimes have to keep singing during some of the moves.

Carly Rae Jepsen (had to find the CBC listing the lineup of performers...) was somewhat better vocally but not much stagecraft shown.

I feel that the fans got ripped off. How about featuring Toronto and Calgary homegrown musical acts--Toronto has so much musically available.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Argos take the game, 35 to 22. Calgary Mayor Nenshi is going to have to come through on his bet to donate food matching his weight to a food bank.

Toronto Mayor Ford probably is still feeling good-his high school football team did well in their league and now the major pro team also won. Expect to see major coverage of the happy new in the papers with the Mayors.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:10 pm

Regina, Saskatchewan hosts this year's Grey Cup festival and final CFL game of the year. Saskatchewan is home to the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who will play against the Hamilton Tiger Cats (from Ontario) today at 6PM ET or 3PM PT or 5PM Central Time (Saskatchewan). http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=437408

For the non-football fans, you are looking for diversions from the game. If you are in Regina, chances are there are plays, shopping, cultural attractions or outdoor adventures that can gain your attention while your football fan friends and family attend the game.

If you are not in Regina and don't want to be near a TV occupied by football fans, seek:
-outdoor activities in your community or neighbourhood (playing outside or doing a hike are possibilities)
-a quiet room or noise-cancelling headphones to enjoy with your book
-craft or cultural activities that you can participate in. Time to make pottery? Or work on gifts?
-other non-football friends/family willing to join you or have you over for non-game visiting/crafting
-DVDs you can enjoy on your computer>think Andre Rieu and orchestra rather than action films. Or find a concert DVD that gets you smiling.
-a library that is open to find library items to enjoy at home
-someone in need of your help in getting a chore done while the daylight is still available: grocery errand, cupboard organization, yard work
-a movie theatre (time for popcorn and relaxation away from home)
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby yukon on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:57 pm

My team isn't in it, and I'm not a fan of either team, but I'm going to give the advantage to the home team Riders. Both teams are use to the meat locker temperatures, so no advantage there. I think the fans will make a big difference to the outcome, or at least I hope so.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby deja vu on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:15 am

They will be partying in Saskatchewan tonight. Rider Nation is loud and proud as the Rough Riders had no trouble beating the
Ti-Cats 45 - 23.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 pm

2014 and it's the Calgary Stampeders and the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Image Image

Not a fan of either team, but will take Hamilton this time round.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sports