Grey Cup

Grey Cup

Postby deja vu on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:02 am

For those that may not know what that is, its the final game of the season for the Canadian
Football League (CFL).

My beloved Eskies lost to the Montreal Alouettes in the Eastern Final. The Alouettes(Als) will
have a home field advantage since the Grey Cup is in Montreal this year. They will play the
Calgary Stampeders who won the Western Final.

I was hoping the Eskies(Edmonton Eskimos) would beat the Als but sadly that did not happen.

Home field advantage doesnt always help so I will go with the Stampeders to win the Cup.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Grey Cup

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:43 pm

Ah, so Calgary fans will do the traditional fan pancake breakfast and support their team, while Montreal supports its team during the wind-down of the 400th Anniversary of Quebec City. Tourism gold for some organizations!

Would you like to be amongst the tables at mealtimes between the Calgarians and Montrealers? They would not be dull and they could be bilingual!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:17 pm

RDI showed some film of the breakfast today outside of the stadium. In the news segment, there was a clip of the Hilton Hotel, after a kitchen fire at about 2 a.m. this morning. The hotel guests were put into buses while the firefighters dealt with the kitchen.

TSN will air the game coverage at 6:00 p.m. ET/3:00 p.m. PT. Here is the link.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:40 pm

Takeout pizza establishments will be super-busy. Pity the women and men not keen on football being stuck at home with people who do like the game! Unless some friends have planned a board game or music night, non-fans may have to make do with books, playing with kids, or plunking on headphones in another area of the residences.

A walk outside in the fresh air could be a way to get 20-30 minutes of twilight time and feel energized. :idea:
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm

Montreal Alouettes lead 13-10 against the Calgary Stampeders. How will the game go?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby yukon on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Its in the 4th quarter and just became 22 - 14 for Calgary.

Three minute warning has gone off.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:00 pm

Calgary wins 22-14 over Montreal. Party in the streets! Everyone must be rather cold now in Montreal. Maybe some vendors will have hot food for the commute home or to the hotels.

I must have had the previous score incorrect. My apologies for the error.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:24 pm

I am shamefully ignorant of all matters related to Canadian Football, except that it's played in Canada. That's true, right?

I suspect that once many years ago I heard the rules were different than those of their brethren below the border. I did read, "three-minute warning" in one of the posts up there, right? That's different, right? Don't them folks below the border have a two-minute warning?

Lets see, what else might be different. Canadian teams are allowed to play on ice, right? Seals can stand in for cheer leaders, right? Seals clap for everything. Well, maybe not so good. They'd clap for the other team, too.

I know what's been in the back of my mind -- the Canadian season sure ended much earlier than the folks below the border. That Super Bowl business is in January, right? A couple of months longer down south.

Do the Canadians start their season earlier? Or is it that the league is smaller?

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Three minute warning is correct. According to Wikipedia the NFL has the 2 minute warning.

Canadian teams are allowed to play on ice, right?

Some of the outdoor Grey Cup games have looked like a skating rink. When you remove the snow
that frozen tundra can be hard on the body when you fall on it. Sliding is the norm when the spikes
can not get a grip on the frozen field. Some of them have been played during a snow storm. Next to
the spikes the most important piece of clothing for them is a pair of NYLONS when those conditions
hit. Fans in snowmobile suits and sleeping bags are a common sight.

Fortunately Montreals Big O has a roof once more so all were comfy.

Seals can stand in for cheer leaders, right? Seals clap for everything

That might happen if they were playing on the east coast, may be in Newfoundland, but there are no CFL
teams east of Montreal.

the Canadian season sure ended much earlier than the folks below the border

The pre season starts at the beginning of June, the NFL's preseason starts in August. At least that is what
their sites say.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:26 pm

TODD KOROL/REUTERS
Calgary Stampeders defensive back Markus Howell, left, and receiver Jeremaine Copeland, right, help hoist the Grey Cup after the team defeated the hometown Montreal Alouettes 22-14 Nov. 23, 2008. Calgary quarterback Henry Burris was named the game's most valuable player.

Image source: Toronto Star
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Sports