NFL - Are you ready for some football

Re: NFL - Are you ready for some football

Postby smitty on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Smitty wrote:I was sent to help this distriburter of a certain make of a m/c since he did not know how to ride a m/c let alone have the parts & such for the various dealers.

First thing I heard was about football, time & time again. Then someone talked him into attending a Penticton Jr. hockey team.

Believe me from then on he was super keen on hockey for he saw the fights to blood & you name it so football was nothing compared to football. The man really did NOT understand hockey, soccar or you name it. He could not be interested in the sports in the Olympics, sioccar, baseball or such.

The amazing thing is he offered me a tin of some juice drink, but all I wanted was water. That was basically the main food for himself, to his wife to his two sons. I knew a chap that was given the okay to clear all the emptry pop containers. His 3/4 ton was not enough so he got a chap with a one ton truck & even then there were thousands more of said pop container cans. No wonder he was a bit on the fat side & same with his two sons. Crumbs all the wife had to prepare, for supper, was so many pop bottles or they went to the hamburger places to some restaurants. I went down there to do my job with my own thermos of tea, to along with a sandwich I repared the evening before. I think we were a bit different.
smitty

Postby smitty on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:01 pm

I will admit that there are a maze of hockey fans ONLY they have not played hockey or even skated & that leaves me wondering. It is like foot ball, to soccar to other sports.

At lest the school prinical took four of us down to the curling rink & we learned a lot about durling on NATURL ice. I continued that on & often in the evening was there at the rink to be a Lead player for a team.

Baseball--well really we played soft ball more suitable for us, & soccar the same principal started to teachus about soccar so YES I can injoy soccar, like I can injoy baseball. Can even injoy golf for I caddied to many of my parents friends, but started to play hockey as well & the Pro in one golf course wanted to incourge me though I knew nothing about Jr. golfers. I was , at that time, very keen on racing m/cs in many variations of dirt comptetion----so also a liking for climbing mountains. Okay so I am different to the normal sport watcher for of all things I teach others how to use a h/gun in a safe & sensible form to even if they are up to larger caliber then I teach the how to reload with the different reloading presses to the scales, to the powder basically in the American form rather the Metric.
smitty

Postby smitty on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Of interest we formed up a Curling rink in Edmonton, with me plaing third. The brooms were normal fans of those days & not the little sort of Scottish preference.

I would dut my broom down a bit along with tape a the higher spot.

So when it came to sweeping I was super fast. The Principal was around to see his school team plaing out against other cities or Provinces. What amazed him was my hands were covered with blood as the blisters split & so the bleeding. That floored him for I saw him at school, a bit later on, in one class to look at my messed up hands, but that whas my enthusiam of the curling game trying to do do my best.

You might be watching a boring curling game on TV, but in the casse of many of us, that had curled previously this was an interesting game to watch & looked at the different changes of the two teams. A thing from being IN THE SPORT.

True speekskating was so different as we used to compete in the North American style of MASS starts. Yes we are talking about shorter runs for younger people, but forthe pros it was one to 5 miles in each race. We did not know about two competitors on such a different oval along wih them shifing from side to side. STILL we undrstood the sport of power skating.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 pm

When the NFL game of Buffalo Bills vs Seattle Seahawks comes to Toronto next month, guess who'll perform during halftime? Psy, the Korean music sensation of the fall with his "Gangnam Style" song. http://www.allkpop.com/2012/11/psy-to-perform-gangnam-style-at-buffalo-bills-vs-seattle-seahawks-nfl-game-in-toronto-canada

Honestly, the singer's really received much international exposure in North America and Europe. K-pop fans can hope that during one of Psy's appearances, he'll bring his fellow singers from his company along for a concert or two. It would not surprise me if Psy gets a documentary hour compiled soon that shows the world what Gangnam looks like and why Psy thought the area of Seoul deserved to be the focus of hit song.

Tip to Psy and his management-dress warmly and in layers because Toronto weather can be unpredictable.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Psy, Seattle Seahawks and Buffalo Bills will be in Toronto on Sunday. Are you ready for some football, Canada?

The cheapest seat in Rogers Centre that I saw was $48 (not sure if Cdn or US$) before service charges.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Ravens and 49'ers, flip a coin as to who will win. I will admit that I don't watch the NFL regular season, but I do tune in once in a while for the Super Bowl. No interest in either team, so may the best team win today.

It seems to me that the big game is not the only game in town. The majority are also really interested in the commercials. Considering what it costs to make these special commercials, they have to count on the fans to watch them instead of leaving the room for a break.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/couch-p ... -1B8210242

Settle into your favorite couch groove, pour yourself a big frosty, saddle up a sidecar's worth of chips, and get ready for the Super Bowl bombardment. Not of bone-crunching tackles, daredevil runs, and hold-your-breath long bomb passes, but of ads, ads, ads!

Even in this hashtag-saturated era, Super Bowl air time is still the ultimate national stage for blockbuster commercials. With 30 seconds selling for an average of $3.7 million this year, the pressure is on to get the most bang for the buck.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:18 pm

I was in a local store to buy a soda and saw lots of men picking up snacks, drinks and ready-made foods. Checkouts were busy for early afternoon on a Sunday! I'd say the football eating is part of the game event as well.

I don't think I have seen the sushi counter look so busy for a Sunday!

The game is not relevant to me beyond food specials in the flyers to entice the game watchers. Seems some major companies believe fans will stock up on $20 worth of their products and apply for a rebate at the same time...

Just hope that no one messes up the hosting city or their home city over the game results. Taxpayers are not going to take fan damages at all-there is a limit to paying for repairs when residents are trying to keep their own households fed, sheltered and clothed.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby burnt fare on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:53 pm

The game's not over. The league has put up a link for commercials airing during the breaks and there's one with a goat and Doritos...ok the man in the neck brace has a reason for that goat being put up for sale.
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/47/commercials

Probably limited to US viewers only if you are not from the US.

Chili bowl and some veggie sticks plus a really good box of brownies is dinner. Skipping the beer because I got to watch the calories (rich meal).
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby deja vu on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:11 pm

A 35 minute power failure? Don't they have backup generators at the Superdome? If you're a San Fran fan then you're happy with their play since the power failure ended.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50687277/ns/sports-nfl/
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Katie Hnida wonders if Lauren Silberman and the NFL have done damage to the dreams of female athletes.

Silberman was one of 38 kickers to take part in the league’s New York/New Jersey regional scouting combine at the New York Jets’ facility. She was the only woman, the first female participant in an NFL-sponsored tryout, and was hoping to prove her kicks could stand up to the booming 55-yard field goals some of the men were making.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... rible.html

It was embarrasing to watch the news story of her practice kicks. They mentioned that she thought she was up to the task thanks to a video game. Why would she or any lady want to face those big guys coming at you to do damage. I don't think the NFL is any place for a lady on a team. It's one sport where there never will be equality.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sports