Soccer/Football (Footy) Section

Re: Soccer/Football (Footy) Section

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:46 pm

FIFA has opened the Expressions of Interest portion for the 2018 and 2020 tournament bids. 80,000 seats are required for the opening and final matches of each tournament. The last men's tournament had at least one stadium that had extra seating added just for the tournament but it was to be removed afterwards.

Oh, as a slight change on the post, I have discovered (it is news to me) that there is a beach soccer league sanctioned by FIFA! And the ball kicking seems be accomplished by backward flips.Image
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:53 pm

01/16/2009 THE NOT SO BEAUTIFUL GAME
English Football's Fortunes Fade In Global Downturn
By Michael Wulzinger

With problems ranging from the weak pound to billions in debts and investor losses, many football clubs in England's Premier League are seeking new owners. With the world's billionaires hit by the credit crunch, however, is there anyone out there still willing to buy?

The interior architect from London had assumed that the people at FC Chelsea would talk about everything, just not the cost. He was wrong. In the end his meeting with Peter Kenyon, the club's chief executive, was cut short after a few minutes once the architect's plans to expand the fitness center in the club's Stamford Bridge Stadium were rejected for being too expensive.

The elite London club, the most glamorous address in international football ever since its acquisition by Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, has been forced to tighten its belt. By the end of last year, the financial crisis had reduced Abramovich's worth from $23.5 billion (€18 billion) to all of $3.1 billion (€2.4 billion). Officially, club management claims to be independent of the shrinkage in its benefactor's fortune. It has even promised that the club will be financing itself by this summer. http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,601703,00.html

Manchester City's current owner is supposedly wanting to pay big money to acquire soccer player Kaka from AC Milan. Considering that the former Thai prime minister (Thaksin Shinawatra, in the news more recently during the airport protests in Thailand) once owned Manchester City, how much money is needed to own a soccer club?

The soccer clubs will be busy doing promotional matches (friendlies) and fan-meets to get the merchandise sold this year? That likelihood seems possible, if only to stretch operating dollars for the current year.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:57 am

How to improve the game of soccer/football-tell the rowdies to behave or else face the consequences:

2009-01-22 18:42
Hooligan laws 'working' Soccer violence down, attendance up
(ANSA) - Rome, January 22 - New laws on soccer violence are working with incidents sharply down and more fans returning to grounds, Italy's anti-hooliganism body said Thursday.

Crowds at Serie A matches were more than ten percent up in the first half of this season compared to the same period in 2007-2008, the interior ministry's National Observatory on Sporting Events (ONMS) said.

At all levels of professional soccer, arrests were more than 50% down.

The number of people wounded was 66% lower and the number of police hurt was more than 40% down. http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus/english/news/2009-01-22_122307161.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Blatter: We trust Africa
(FIFA.com) Saturday 24 January 2009

Speaking to FIFA.com exclusively from his office in Zurich, FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter has urged the world to trust South Africa and the African continent to deliver a successful FIFA World Cup™. With the 500-day countdown to South Africa 2010 beginning in earnest tomorrow, the FIFA President praises the country for being "a young republic, but an organised one", and speaks of the challenges they will face, both in the next calendar year and beyond.

In a candid interview, Blatter also speaks about his hopes for Africa and African football, both on and off the pitch. He also recalls with fondness his first visit to Ethiopia as a FIFA Development Officer in 1976 where his dream to bring the FIFA World Cup to Africa originated.

FIFA.com: We have 500 days before kick-off of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa. What will make this FIFA World Cup different?
Joseph S. Blatter: It is the first FIFA World Cup to take place on the African continent. Africa has given the world of football so many, many talented and outstanding players, coaches, clubs and national teams and therefore it was justice that one day that they would host the World Cup in Africa. Now it is Africa's time. I am very happy that in 500 days the World Cup will kick-off in South Africa. It will be an historic moment. For me, it will not only be a realisation of a dream, but of an initiative I had back in 1976 when I started my career as a Development Officer in FIFA. It was then I went to Addis Ababa [in Ethiopia] and saw what football means to Africa. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1003126.html#blatter+we+trust+africa

The scenery will be great on television-for those who can access digital cable television.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby yukon on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Doping bans shock Italian soccer
Year- long penalties for Mannini, Possanzini

The Italian soccer world reacted with shock Thursday to a tough doping ban handed down on two players by world sport's top court.

The Italian Soccer Federation (FIGC) said it was ''amazed'' at the one-year ban from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on the two players, who showed up late for a postmatch doping test in Serie B last season.

''A year's ban for what turned out to be a logistical problem seems excessive,'' said FIGC chief Giancarlo Abete, adding that the federation was looking at a way to appeal.

http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus/english/news/2009-01-29_129292627.html
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby yukon on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Japan falls to Bahrain

Japan crashed to its first defeat of 2009 after a 1-0 loss away to Bahrain in the final round of qualifiers for the 2011 Asian Cup on Wednesday night.

Salman Issa struck the decisive blow in the 24th minute at Manama's National Stadium as Bahrain made it two wins out of two in Group A after last week's 3-1 win over Hong Kong.

Japan, 2-1 winners over Yemen in its opening game, are level on three points with the Yemenis, who beat Hong Kong 1-0 earlier in the day.

Japan coach Takeshi Okada, who described defeat here nearly a year ago in a World Cup qualifier as the most humiliating moment of his career, admitted his side had been second best and was unhappy about the manner in which his players repeatedly conceded possession in the middle of the park.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sw20090130a1.html
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby fishandchips on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 pm

The Italian players are banned because they were late? Is that an actual penalty allowed in soccer? Wow--perhaps the players need a "get out of dressing room" pass card to leave early for the testing.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:05 pm

Mr. Beckham is impressing his host European country again:

2009-02-02 11:00
Soccer: Beckham shines brighter
England star sets up two in 3- 0 win against Lazio

(ANSA) - Rome, February 2 - David Beckham shone even brighter for AC Milan in his fifth league start against Lazio Sunday night, setting up two goals in Milan's 3-0 win.

'Super Beckham' shouted the front-page headline in la Gazzetta dello Sport while Corriere dello Sport said 'What A Beckham'.

''He was great again. He's a born footballer, he plays with his eyes shut,'' said teammate, Italy World Cup winner Andrea Pirlo after the match. http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus/english/news/2009-02-02_102289699.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Remarkable interest in 2018 & 2022
(FIFA.com) Tuesday 3 February 2009

FIFA has received a total of 11 formal expressions of interest to bid for the 2018 and/or the 2022 FIFA World Cups™ by the established deadline of 2 February 2009. The member associations that have confirmed their interest in hosting FIFA's flagship competition are, in alphabetical order: Australia, Belgium and the Netherlands, England, Indonesia, Japan, Korea Republic, Mexico, Qatar, Russia, Spain and Portugal, and the USA.

"It is remarkable that so many high-quality contenders have expressed an initial interest in hosting our flagship competition," said FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter. "Our world is one that is rich in natural beauty and cultural diversity, but also one where many are still deprived of their basic rights, or have to deal with the daily realities of conflict. FIFA now has an even greater responsibility to reach out and touch the world, using football as a symbol of hope and integration. 2018 and 2022 World Cups

The joint-hosting bids seem a good way to share the international exposure, infrastructure, and economic benefits of visitors and teams. A joint Asian host bid seems suitable if all joint hosts can coordinate their travel systems to accommodate the crowds. Some of the countries may need to update their stadiums but past World Cup hosts and Olympic Game hosts can reuse venues.

Should the USA get one of the World Cups, would the action be in the Northeastern US or in the middle heartland?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Beckham eager to stay with Milan

David Beckham has confirmed he wants to secure a permanent move to AC Milan from his American club LA Galaxy.

Beckham denied his lawyers were talking to the Galaxy, as Milan general manager Adriano Galliani had claimed, but hopes the two clubs can agree a deal.

"I have expressed my desire to stay," he said. "Now it's just down to Milan and Galaxy to come to an agreement.

"I have enjoyed my time here. I knew I would enjoy it but I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I have."

Beckham was speaking in Glasgow on Wednesday after playing the first 45 minutes for Milan in their 2-2 friendly draw with Rangers.

The England international, 33, is on loan at the San Siro until 9 March and has helped lift Milan to second place in Serie A, scoring in his last two games.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7869648.stm

He doesnt seem to stay in one place too long. Perhaps he should just flip a coin.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sports