Store flyers and coupons

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Store flyers and coupons

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:48 pm

One grocery store is selling Smart Fries in a honey bbq flavour. I have to ask: what are smart fries? Are they baked or is it what they are coated with that is considered the smart aspect?

Has anyone seen Coke's stevia sweetened non-carbonated beverages of the Odwalla brand here in Canada? I'm just curious if the product is in-store in the health food or "natural foods" department. I would like to taste a drink.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:41 pm

It is convenient to find a needed item on sale and with a coupon attached to the package to make the final sale price very appealing. So it happened today with shampoo!

Note that not all tearpads are coupon pads. Sometimes the pads are recipes using the product you are looking at or a rebate offer or an order form to buy a cooking container or storage item with the brand name on it. Today in Walmart, the Lipton Sidekicks, on sale for $1, had tearpads for recipes on the product boxes. I checked the tearpad to make sure I was not missing a useful offer.
The store also had an aisle display of chips, dips, and soda between clothing and the electronics department--suggesting an impulse buy section for the men buying something in electronics and wanting snacks without having to hike to the far side where the grocery part of the store is located.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 am

What a feeling! Joy-at successfully locating a possible vendor of serving ware within a day of seeing said piece of interest at an event. Sometimes Internet tag is fun or it is tedious. Whether an actual store carries the item is the real test.

Mind you, I was disappointed that the first three websites did not have an approximation of the item I sought. A couple of additional websites later, I spied with my eyes an item that is on sale. To attempt to find it will be the question.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:36 pm

This week is a busy one at grocery stores and supercentres as it is holiday long weekend. That means any 24h grocery store will close at 10pm or earlier to allow for the statutory holiday tomorrow.

Customers are going for Easter specials plus grocery deals for weekend meals or baking. Allow yourselves some extra time if you are doing post-dinner shopping in the stores.

Coupons are hard to find but at least some new products either attach coupons to the packaging or have a coupon pad nearby to attract customer interest in buying the products.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Found a coupon to save $2 off on Woolite at one of the local grocery stores. OK, that store does not sell the Delicates version of the detergent but the store does carry the Extra Dark solution. Bonus value is that the coupon expires in June, so there is time to use it when supplies at home are close to depletion.

Random walk around the store today and I find myself looking at the $1.99 Stouffer's/Lean Cuisine frozen meals. I choose two boxes with chicken entrees and with PINs that can be redeemed online to count towards a store gift card-that's value!

Reduced produce section seems to be a haven for bananas, cauliflower and tomatoes, plus eggplants. I have to find an eggplant casserole recipe so that I can buy the reduced eggplants for it. I buy the only package of bananas, which are in various stages of ripeness. I enjoy having a banana daily and these ones are average size, so each peel contains just enough fruit for a serving and a bit.

April 26-it's time to look through your coupon stash to see if any coupons are close to expiring! You probably can then turn towards any new flyers this week and look for new coupons to keep for the coupon wallet. Spring shoe promotions abound and so do deals-have a look for some canvas slip-ons, beach footwear or something ideal for garden work.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby alohasand on Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Heat and serve or packaged meals work for me when I want to make the most of the sunshine after work. I won't be making big meals to impress anyone. Looking for store specials on pasta dinners, salads and the spare pizza (because it can contain all the food groups and it's easy to bake) and I can have some options ready in a short time (with the timer set so I won't forget dinner is heating up).

Since I have some mail to send after work, I will see what deals exist in the freezer or ready-to-eat counter.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby CielOnTap on Wed May 02, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm having a look at Pier 1 Imports' website and what whimsical stock the store chain carries! Lots of ideas for gifts, servingware, table linens and plain old fun are evident--colour abounds!

Yes, with warmer weather, think about pitchers or patio serving pieces you might need to enjoy the outdoors. Or colourful placemats that will add zing to the picnic table-the placemats might go under salad bowls to draw attention to the menu.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu May 03, 2012 11:43 am

For some reason or another I am receiving the newspaper from Penticton. Something I cancelled some 6 yrs ago.

The new paper is loaded with a maze of pages concerning sales.

I think the IGA Grocery Store is being taken over, for usually I use to see the manage & since we both rode m/cs then we had something in common even it he rode a HD & I rode a hot trotting sportbike-----we sometimes talked about riding.

So in last two or three weeks for I am receiving a paper marked as with $5.00 in next purchase. Seems they are trying to obtain more customers & this is not as close the rest of the town as a competive grocery store.

The brain wave of the town fathers that it only takes 10 minutes to the main schools or the business street might be correct if it was all flat or all downhill, but not when returning as one chap tried from his place & his wife found him still hiking it to that Main Street & drove him home.

This IGA grocery store is ANOTHER 10 minute hike so they have to count on people arriving when driving cars.

I see a lot of people in their late 70s or early 80s like myself AND come the renewal of a DL is going to be a bummer with many tricks to eliminate the older drivers in this area.

So this is my 66th year of driving a truck, car, to riding a m/c not once have I been in an accident or where I was in the wrong. Which is hard to keep a clean sheet for those 66 yrs!!!!

Oh I have been hit from behind when at a stop sign or forced to take dramatic moves when on a twisty coming downhill to me when one of the 7 cars decided to pass the others even if there is a DOUBLE YELLOW LINE of no passing & so is suddenly on my very lane.
smitty

Postby guitarblues on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Any sale tied to a holiday makes me laugh. Things related to changes in season are alright but a Fourth of July sale only makes me think to check that there is food in the house for the holiday and some extra just in case people drop by.

But there are patient people who will wait for sales to get certain big-ticket items or stockpile food. Might be good logic if needing multiple pool towels (say you have guests over to swim in your pool), regular potluck meals at your home (good paper plates, cups, napkins etc.) or have children who sleepover with your kids on weekends (cereal, juice, milk, some BBQ item for lunch).
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Back to School supplies are being advertised in some flyers-paper, writing supplies, lunch containers and backpacks.
Summer sales on bedding and seasonal items continue, but last month would have been the principal "last chance" time to pick up beach items, picnic things, summer clothing and the like. Well, there's still time for camping-gear is on sale too.

Ontario will have a Civic Holiday on Monday and a look through six major grocery store flyers does not show any chain offering a HST tax free day or weekend. Pity, as it would help with weekend barbecue supplies or cold drinks during the hot weather. Finally saw local peaches advertised in one flyer!

For anyone needing to stock up on underwear basics, August is usually one of the three times in the year that discounts will apply to the name brands in department stores. So keep watching those department store flyers.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Food / Drink