Store flyers and coupons

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Store flyers and coupons

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Nothing says really good sale prices in a grocery flyer like seeing crowded store sections on a Friday morning. You snooze, you lose the specials-sometimes they won't be restocked until after the weekend, if more stock comes in.

I'm glad to have known some flyers were online and when the paper copies came, I started my grocery list last night. Had a family member add items too after the flyers were reviewed. We were fortunate to get almost all of the desired items-one was not anywhere in-store and as it is new, no special display was seen either. One of the featured fresh berry products seemed small so it was passed on.

Best of all, a coupon expiring at month's end was used on a laundry product that was on sale. Nice!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby alohasand on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 pm

The time to look for coupons is in the the store when I'm shopping. The most effort ahead of time I'll make is looking at the flyer to see the specials. But I don't want to spend my free time looking for coupons online. If the mail has useful coupons, I'll tear them out or put them in an envelope that I take to the stores.

Saying that, I dislike coupon snatchers who take more than 2 or 3 coupons or heck, go for the whole coupon pad for items most people want to save on. So maybe it is for the best that I shop when I'm in the mood to shop or when fewer bodies are hustling for the deals. Just saves peace of mind.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 am

The Back to School phrase had started to appear in mid-July in some flyers. Now every week, students, parents and the general public wanting stationery supply deals or snacks have been reviewing offers to see if their preferred items are on sale.

It never hurts to check if your own stationery supply could stand some replenshing. Or if you want to help less fortunate youth, provide backpacks with the school supplies needed to start September off in your communities. Schools don't provide many supplies unless the parent councils are amazing fundraisers or the schools are well-funded.

With the general merchandise stores, there is a big push on stocking a college or university student's room/dorm with housekeeping supplies, small appliances and study furniture. It's recommended that one checks rules on dorm furniture plus designated move-in dates>everything is planned or prescribed to make the movement of people and belongings efficient.

Now if you are into preserving summer produce, there are canning supplies showing up in flyers plus baking supplies>fall fair season (also summer fairs) is coming up so you have to time your entries to be their freshest!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Canning supplies continue to feature in grocery and hardware store flyers now that vegetable gardens are winding down in terms of crops finishing. Maybe the cucumbers are over, the tomatoes are still producing and the string beans overflow on the counter. What can you do with the harvest besides selling, swapping or giving it away? Preserve the produce in jars or freeze them or made dishes for winter or cold night suppers.

If you are making pies for the freezer and the fairs, you must be very popular in your community with people offering to taste-test your sample pies prior to the entry pies being baked!

Tomato sauce is a popular item to cook and to can at this time of year.

Early bird Halloween fans can already shop for treats, costumes and decorations-stores have merchandise on shelves. Do-it-yourselfers will have options at Michaels and craft stores for making their own costumes or accessories.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:49 am

Produce offers in grocery flyers-first time I have seen opo squash listed. Have to find out what it tastes like. Pomegranates are showing up, prior to Canadian Thanksgiving. Baking supplies seem to be priced to encourage fall baking or making dishes ahead of when company is expected. If you can get heritage sweet potatoes at your local farmer's market, do indulge and buy some-they are delicious boiled, mashed and lightly salted with dry parsley flakes swirled into the mash.

Christmas gift giving is subtly being promoted-Toys R US has a midnight madness sale today in Ontario. Porsche has a line of apparel and gift items with Porsche prices. http://www.porscheaccessories.ca/collections/50_years_911/

Senior's days-some store flyers promote their monthly or semi-monthly day of discount for customers of a certain age or better. Two pharmacy chains, Rexall and Shoppers Drug Mart have the discount (the latter in conjunction with Optimum card membership); Hudson's Bay earmarks the first Tuesday of the month as 15% off all prices for seniors. Sears has had a couple of Senior's Day events in the past two months.

Best Buy has an online lifestyle store, Viva, for strollers, yoga equipment, cosmetics and more.

Future Shop sells office supplies online-Bic pens are on special this week, online only.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby burnt fare on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Friday's here and the grocery shopping has to be done after work. I'll get some pantry staples and something frozen for tonight, then battle tomorrow to get the household supplies in Saturday traffic.

Could stand a good talk at the meat counter or checkout about what to make for dinner-I do not know what's for supper. Hey! A personal BBQ chef would be very useful at such a time.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:04 am

North American have been seeing print ads and inserts promoting warm destination cruises. Are you tempted to take a cruise? How much do you know about the fine print that accompanies cruises-charges in addition to room fees, where the ship is registered and hence which country's laws apply to on-board incidents, if any part of cruise fee is refundable and under what timelines, what medical coverage and passport/visa requirements may be necessary?
It's not just a trip to a warmer clime, it's an expensive discovery process of how well you understand all the terms and conditions of travelling. That includes what realistic expectations to have in deciding to choose ship provided excursions with guaranteed port returns on time vs do-it-yourself excursions (hence check that you have the necessary tourist visas) that may not get you back to the cruise ship in time.

Many stores are offering loyalty programs of the spend and earn points variety. Some pharmacies may be offering a fee-based annual service-you pay a set fee upfront and for your prescriptions in the year, you get a reduced fee on the refills of medication. A family member was told $100 for a pharmacy that was near a clinic but that location is not near home. Make sure to ask for handouts or websites where you can review material at your leisure so you can prepare followup questions at the stores or through their customer service phone number. Not many deals offered on the spot are as easy as they seem-remember, marketing/sales pitches are about attracting sales/customers and getting awareness of a new promotion out. When your money is involved, determine how much you can spend without reading the details-the more money involved, the more you need to take the time to find out information to see if the programs suit your present needs (especially if prepayment is necessary).
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Baking offers are evident in December grocery flyers--you may find coupon offers as well unless you were timing your coupon use for when your necessary baking ingredients go on sale!

Try making a different cookie than the same one that is a favourite--you might find a new taste more suitable for you or your guests (who likely are watching their gluten/carbohydrates/sugar/treat intakes). Cooked fruit (compote) is another dessert idea for pears and dried fruits. Check your cookbooks for inspiration or magazines.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Took a look at local flyers and my suggestions for Boxing Week buys if you have the money to spend:

-stock up on deals on underwear and winter/holiday socks. Some prices might be 50% off or better. Thermal items are likely to be priced to move too. Coats-too late to find anything of consequence unless you are a regular sized person and happen to find the last coat in your size. Most coat deals/sales were in November or even late October.

-might still find gloves/mitts/hats on good prices

-grocery flyers: sacks of pistachios or other nuts seem to be the big produce offer this week. And party platters or frozen appetizers. The return of pop deals in 2L or 12 can cases...

-if you need snow shovels, you might want to see what's left. Last weekend, hardware stores had a brisk trade in flashlights/batteries, generators and candles due to the icy rain storm.

-some laptops and netbooks are priced to move. Compare features-do you want a touch screen or not? does the computer have USB ports (you'd be surprised)? is there a webcam or not? what amount of harddrive memory is taken up by programs already installed?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:40 pm

Tired of the gym equipment ads, the weight loss remedies and the constant reminders of healthy eating that are predominant in January store flyers? Go outside and play for a little while. Yes snow shovelling can be fun if you get to say "hi" to your neighbours, or you walk the block to get some fresh air or just check out how the buildings look with snow on their roofs and porch covers and trees. Be in the moment-you don't always get to notice things from a bus window, train or car especially when the sky turns to dusk.

Sometimes, go outside to see if you can spot a star or constellation in the sky-they still exist though urban area lighting might make it hard to find the stars.

Then go back inside and recycle the grocery flyers and ad mail that you won't be using into the recycling box. That feels so much better.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Food / Drink