Store flyers and coupons

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Store flyers and coupons

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:49 pm

U.S. Black Friday is this Friday, following the US Thanksgiving. Black Friday is often said to be the best day to get discounted high-ticket items such as electronics, gifts and holiday foods. Flyers have been released and the US tends to receive Canadian shoppers also looking to participate in the shopping.

Since stores that promote their own Black Friday specials may also have earlier opening times, you might consider if you'd wait in line to get access to a limited number of special items in-store. Transportation access to sale areas and even if you have someone paired with you to shop the sales can determine how many stores or how long you can visit any one place.

Onlines sites for your favourite stores may already have Black Friday offers posted, if you'd rather not go to an actual store. Be sure to know the return or refund policies BEFORE you click to pay for your order.

*Canadian Home Depot has a special buy of the 59" Jumbo Plush Teddy Bear for $39.88. Teddy looks similar to but bigger than his counterpart in Breeze's stall (remember the pony?): viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1380&start=500
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:30 pm

In North America, January is a month of new routines and usually the time to revert to healthy eating practices or getting into exercise routines. This is a good time to look for small kitchen appliances that you might need for making juices/smoothies or grilled foods. Crockpots and slow cookers will help with cooking inexpensive cuts of meat into stews or soups over hours at a time (perfect for weekends when the electricity rate for residential use is the low rate).

Don't overlook updating kitchen utensils and towels--when you see your new items, you are more likely to try to cook meals rather than notice how the older utensils with chips or wrong surfaces don't give you the satisfaction you crave from watching cooking shows where meals come together so easily. Consider a weekly dinner potluck style with friends or take turns hosting people and sharing some of the cooking as well. Fondue or hotpot are easy to prepare for savoury dishes.

Recipes-are there cookbooks that reflect your preferences in your home? Can you borrow a desired cookbook to try some new dishes to give your menus a change? Or have you decided some cookbooks have had their time with you and you're donating, selling or recycling them? New cookbooks-any bookstore will have a display of books by food show hosts, perennial general cookbooks as well as ubiquitous diet books. Always consider getting nutritional advice from your country's or region's health professionals for healthy eating/portion sizes and alternatives to foods you may have to avoid due to health conditions.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:26 pm

I'm clipping recipe pages from three free magazines from stores and I can see the prospect of a fruit smoothie! I'll have to see what pomegranates are priced at for use in the Superfood smoothie as well as baby spinach (but maybe regular spinach is fine too). The smoothie also requires orange juice, so frozen concentrate or a carton will be needed. While I might be willing to juice pomegranates (there has to be a quick way to separate fruit from the seeds), I'm not interested in juicing oranges with the manual juicer.
I find it useful to have an image paired with a recipe so I know what the food-styled result will be. I have a binder for magazine recipes. If I know that I'll need root vegetables for a side dish or other produce, I'll make a point to compare grocery flyers for produce items and prices.

A pot roast in a slow cooker seems like a perfect dish for a January month that's cold. Not sure if beef is in the grocery budget but the store research will be enlightening. Food & Drink magazine features a leg of lamb recipe with root vegetables and Australian wine. Seems like another dinner idea.

Vegetable broth can be made for its own sake or to be used in recipes. Found an easy one in the Winter Food & Drink recipe- with celery, carrots, onion, garlic and seasonings. Worth making in batches for bases to use in soups, side dishes, or rice dishes. So produce is definitely worth stocking up during winter for broth and soup making!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:58 pm

It's rare to find a coupon for something I usually buy as I don't always go for the colourful processed foods. I just mind the flyers and buy when sales are on!

Meat is expensive and who thought buying certain vegetables by weight instead by unit was a good idea?
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Back to school sales in North America have been promoted since late July but now that we are in September, there are a few shopping days left before school
starts on September 8 (though depending on one's location in Canada or the US, one's district may have already started school within the past week.

This is an excellent time to stock up on pens and paper for the home-those 10 cent packages of lined paper are poor quality so only use them for draft editions of any essays or lists. Consider if any lunch box or food storage containers need replacing plus have extra ones for your car or bus commute or for work.

Do you need bedding or bath towels or new shower supplies? They can be found on sale too.

With the growing season still yielding peaches and other fruits, making muffins and quick breads for the freezer will keep you ahead on lunch bag snacks.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:09 pm

Turkey deals are on the minds of many planning Canadian Thanksgiving for next weekend, but bakers can also find sales on many staples this week.
Let me know if you find packaged brand-name baking spice cans or jars-I need cardamom but can only see a $9.99 bottle
for sale at one store.

Fall flyers from hardware stores will have lawn mower, fertilizer, yard bags and other closing the patio/garden/pool items featured. Maybe
a new rake or some bags are required for the leaf/branch cleanups to come?

Fall/winter clothing is really coming on strongly in department store flyers promoting coat offers for the colder temperatures.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:44 pm

2016 groceries will be about $350 more expensive for Canadian residents in urban areas.
The University of Guelph’s Food Institute estimates the average Canadian household spent an additional $325 on food this year. On top of that, consumers should expect an additional annual increase of about $345 in 2016.

Since 81 per cent of all vegetables and fruit consumed in Canada are imported, they are highly vulnerable to currency fluctuations. They are pegged to increase in price by four to 4.5 per cent in the new year.

“It means that essentially families will have to spend more on these two items without many options, unfortunately,” says Sylvain Charlebois, lead author of the university’s sixth annual Food Price Report.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/12/29/think-groceries-have-become-expensive-expect-more-sticker-shock-in-2016.html

I saw a similar article in a December issue of Journal de Montreal as well. You'll want to ensure that family members check what's on hand at home first before making the grocery list.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Saw this $60/month for food challenge that was done in New York City and I can agree with tracking expenses on Excel but
to eat for $2/day is something of a Maslow needs' mindbuster:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/best-money-saving-tips-2016-5?ref=yfp
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:07 pm

US Thanksgiving is approaching this Thursday, with retailers all keen to have Black Friday day after sales and specials. But November is the time to look for 2017 calendars to buy and to receive from your favourite vendors or charities or marketing boards for milk, produce and the like.

Many places offer 2017 calendars, sometimes along with a holiday edition of the gift guide or store magazine at this time of year, as a thank you item to customers. Recipe calendars remain in the lead in the giveaways, though there can be some lovely ones produced by marketing boards or for charity fundraising appeals. Don't overlook tourism marketing boards for possible calendars especially if themed for outdoors lovers, culture goers or adventure tourists-usually the calendars are aimed to get international or out of town visitors to visit tourist attractions in key areas.

Newspaper boxes that offer free New Home magazines can sometimes offer 2017 home themed calendars bagged with end of year issues too.

You may be running out of calendar and planning options for paper formats if you don't have your 2017 items bought already. Stores may be carrying less stock in certain or all categories to avoid being stuck with merchandise that may not sell after the holidays or key peak period.

In Ontario, this is the month one can find the Ontario Milk calendar in papers (sold or subscribed) or requested by mail, if using their online link does not fulfill your calendar expectations. Longos grocery chain has a recipe calendar bundled with the Holiday Experience issue of their store magazine this month.

Digital calendar apps (the Uniqlo one used to be on their website but is now at the iTunes store):
Uniqlo https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/uniqlo-calendar/id362387586?mt=8 The app comes with other Uniqlo features too.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Previous

Return to Food / Drink