Winter white foods your body craves

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Winter white foods your body craves

Postby Surgeonsoul on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:01 am

Health experts recommend that adults eat about two cups of fruits and up to three cups of vegetables each day. Often we're encouraged to reach for ones that are rich and deep in color. But one experts tells us that the winter months offer other produce options that may not be as flashy, but are still good for our health.

We often hear, the more colorful your produce, the healthier. But winter whites -- fruits and vegetable that are pale in color are packed with healthy nutrients as well. Veggies such as white potatoes, cauliflower, turnips, onions, garlic and even parsnips -- which look a lot like a white carrot. "They offer vitamins and nutrients but they also have some compounds in them that help to fight cancer, fight heart disease as well as keep your blood pressure in check, as well as cholesterol levels," says Registered Dietitian, Marisa Moore.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... es-/42962/

And though potatoes often get a bad rap, it's what we put on them, not the vegetable itself that's an issue.

"White potatoes are virtually fat free and they are also a good source of vitamin C and a great source of potassium which helps to lower blood pressure levels," explains Moore.

Butter overload, bacon bits, cheese, and so on are the killer for your body, the poor potato is good when you don't overdose it with the extras.

Garlic is always a favorite, but turnips and parsnips? I think those fall into the forgotten territory, most probably don't know how to cook them and just keep walking by their bins. I would bet most have never tasted either of them and I am one of those.

Anyone know how to cook them or any recipes that would help the ones trying them for the first time.
Surgeonsoul
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Winter white foods your body craves

Postby manga2read on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Some of the white vegetables better be pureed and added to a dish or they will be left behind. It's a texture/taste thing.
a word with you
manga2read

Re: Winter white foods your body craves

Postby fishandchips on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:09 pm

Saw the post about the popcorn day yesterday.

Had to mention today is National Cheese Lovers Day. Fondue, anyone? [urlhttp://www.kfvs12.com/story/31008957/say-cheese-its-national-cheese-lovers-day][/url]
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Return to Food / Drink