Candy, candy, candy

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Candy, candy, candy

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:27 pm

While there were articles about Ikea Canada bringing in Scandinavian candies in bulk bins to their stores, in the manner to which Scandinavian children enjoy a Saturday bag of candy, Saveur Magazine writes about the joy of one particular treat:
If you ever duck into a grocery store in Scandinavia, you’ll likely walk past tall, clear plastic containers filled with colorful glossy items that look straight out of Willy Wonka. You’ll walk closer and recognize black and red licorice—the most well-known Nordic candy—but you'll also see something way, way better: rabarberbitar.

This rhubarb gummy log (it literally translates to "rhubarb log") filled with soft lemon marzipan is two kinds of wonderful. First comes the not-quite-sour, not-quite-sweet burst of not-too-naturally-flavored rhubarb. Then there's the fun of eating it: Bite into the center of the log and the lemon marzipan zooms out the ends. The flavors are great together, but even more interesting when you savor them individually: sucking out the lemon then attacking the rhubarb.

http://www.saveur.com/scandinavian-candy-rabarberbitar

The sweet could improve rhubarb's appeal to people who otherwise don't enjoy the fruit.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Candy, candy, candy

Postby fishandchips on Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:35 pm

My sweet tooth rivals many kids' tastes. Must see if the candy treats are worth all the praise and print given them. Will wait out the shoppers until the New Year as I don't wish to be dodging flat pack boxes on carts this month.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:03 pm

It's National Popcorn Day according to malls posting tweets to Twitter accounts. Does your favourite popcorn have any sweet or savory flavours?

http://www.ibtimes.com/national-popcorn-day-2016-freebies-activities-recipes-facts-celebrate-americas-2265690
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:01 pm

While browsing bags of popcorn at a pharmacy today, I noticed that Orville Redenbacher had a sweet peppermint flavoured popcorn! I went with the movie theatre butter flavour bag instead.

I did go down the candy aisle--oh chocolate bars oh jujubes looking so colourful in peg bags. I had to leave you behind when I was disappointed by the pop selection for the current specials.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Food / Drink