Beer-tastes, pairings, reviews

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Beer-tastes, pairings, reviews

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:29 pm

This month, a family member heard a colleague suggest a brand of beer-the individual had said it had a taste like wine and was good. Family member bought a six-bottle (six-pack) box of the beer and enjoyed one of the bottles. I, however, discovered a difference of palate in trying the beer from another bottle. In one regard, the beer in question did a decent job covering up a spicy chicken burning tongue sensation last night.

So what tasted fine for one person will have another reception for the other person. This is the thread to share your beer brands, impressions, and good food pairings. If you made a beer fondue, which cheeses did you use? If you found a beer not to your liking, did you give it away or make a beer loaf/cake (it can be like a quick bread) or put it to use to take out the garden slugs?

Lakeport Strong-the aforementioned beer in paragraph one. Leaves first impression of diluted or watered-down beer (despite a 5.9% alcohol/volume label), vague fruit flavour, then followed by a strong taste of postage stamp adhesive. Does go well with the spicy chicken sub I ate last night or even a spicy sausage pizza. Probably would use tany remaining beer for beer cake.

Earlier this year, I had a Guinness beer with my pub lunch one week after St. Patrick's Day. The beer is what I would call bottled burnt toast flavour, if toast got dark brown but not yet black. I found the beer strong for sausages, mashed potatoes and another side dish. Too many strong flavours, save the potatoes, competing for attention on my tongue.

Which varieties can you contribute stories or reviews on? The "bartender" is all ears. :D
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Beer-tastes, pairings, reviews

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:22 pm

Party planning rules about serving alcohol, as per the LCBO: http://www.lcbo.ca/fooddrink/entertainingtips.shtml

Beer cooking recipes: http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=beer

Yes, there are beer merchandising items out in the marketplace. While not keen to have all serving ware reflecting brands or logos, I think a bar fridge with some colour or design would be useful to chill beverages and to keep the main fridge available for food, especially if platters are involved. Sports events and beer: once the LCBO planned a menu to showcase beer and more adult food than the usual chips and dip fare for a football game TV party for men.

Here's a recipe for onion rings.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:15 pm

Mill Street Brewing Company-Coffee Porter label: bit bitter and toasted for my taste. Had it with a pizza and the beer just was not matched for the food. Tankhouse Ale: more like an average beer with a bit of a strong aftertaste. Would be good with most cooked dishes.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby fishandchips on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:45 pm

What kind of beer would be suitable for:

-a platter of battered fish with chips? No tartar sauce.
-meat lasagna with bread (no garlic spread nor butter), a green tossed salad and mashed potatoes?
-Parisien-style pizza (white garlic sauce replaces tomato/pizza sauce) and cheese sticks?
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:51 pm

Good questions. Pizza with white sauce-light or regular beers, but not the dark beers. Think of the wine rules: white wines for white meat, reds for red meat--apply similar logic to pizza and beer. White sauce could be garlicky, so you don't want competing flavours on the tongue.

Meat Lasagna-a darker or more toasty beer. If Guinness can work with sausages and potatoes, it could pair with the lasagna. The salad will be a palate cleanser, so all is well.

As for the fish and chips-how about a honey-flavoured beer? Or make a beer batter for the fish and just enjoy more of the beer with the meal? Light beer or clean-tasting, like Steam Whistle Pilsner.
*Disclaimer: Everyone has different palates, so my tastes may not suit your tastes. I am giving suggestions and encourage you to try your own pairings.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby Speak1 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:59 am

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I remember some years back drinking Rolling Rock, which is a beer found in the Pennsylvania area. Duck pins and Rolling Rock.

EDIT: Just did a Google search and it seems this obscure beer I remember way-back-when is now quite famous.

More recently, I had a chance to drink some Samuel Adams. Sure was tasty. I think that is brewed in the Seattle, Washington area.

2nd EDIT: Seems I didn't know how to properly spell it. And it's brewed on the other coast in Boston. Wow, must have been better than I thought!

But in all honesty, when it's beer time, any beer will do just fine. Well, almost any beer. Anybody remember Billy Beer? How about Old Milwaukee? I'll bet Speak-Ez remembers those two. That old man!

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Speak1

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Chill Magazine, December 2008/January 2009, offers guidelines for beer and cheese pairings:

Type of Beers Type of Cheeses
Delicate Young, fresh cheeses
Strong, Sweet Blue Cheeses
Malty Nutty, Aged cheeses
Highly Hopped, Bitter Tart, Sharp Cheeses
If you decide to have a beer and cheese tasting party, use sample glasses, place name cards in front of each plate of cheese, and try to get 6-8 varieties of beer with a similar number of cheeses.

You may wish to offer little notepads and pencils to allow guests to jot their impressions down. As with wine tasting parties, a bread basket with sliced French bread could be on the table to help cleanse the palate between tastings.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Drinking on the job that requires operation of machinery-bad idea. Job is on the line, there is the liability issue, and the impression of what taxpayers think of the city when news like this item become public really can fail to be good.

Beer-drinking snowplow operator fired after 30 years on job
Thu Dec 18, 6:00 PM
By The Canadian Press
MONTREAL - A 57-year-old snowplow operator in Montreal has been fired after being caught drinking a beer on the job.

The 30-year veteran with the City of Montreal was not drunk when he was apprehended last weekend but was suspended and issued a $438 fine for having an open bottle of alcohol in a vehicle. Benoit Labonte, mayor of the borough of Ville-Marie, says council decided unanimously to fire the man Thursday because his behaviour was simply "unacceptable." http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081218/koddities/drinking_worker_fired
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:45 pm

If the operator in the article above was drinking, yes, losing his job was fair punishment. However, if the open bottle was an empty one he found and was retaining to return for a deposit, then it gets sticky. Seems that the no-bottle policy applies in all circumstances. So guess the mayor will not be seen drinking at any city functions either?

Enjoying a Hawaiian pizza (pineapple, ham, with some bacon-not the usual item on Hawaiian but oh well) and will have a German lager, Dab, later. Light beer for light pizza.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:31 pm

Having a half-bottle of Dos Equis XX Cerveza (it is too bitter in one sense, though 4.5% alcohol by content), I am eating a bowl of cooked pasta mixed with canned chili, some butter and shredded taco and nacho cheese. I was attempting to recreate the macaroni and cheese meal. I have mixed chili with Kraft Dinner before but the sticky cheese really grabs hold of the chili.

The homemade version is: heat up in a saucepan the contents of 1 can of (300ml?) Homestyle chili to hot, add 2 Tbsp butter (30ml), and 3/4 cup (about 200ml) shredded taco mix cheese (buy the cheese on sale as at regular price it can be $5.99-6.49 a bag, so $4.99 is better). Stir together until the finely shredded cheese and butter have melted. Do make this when you have put about 250-300g of pasta into a pot of boiling water. Cook pasta to the teeth (al dente)--can use bowtie pasta or the narrower tube pasta (not rigatoni, too big); drain pasta and pour chili mixture over the pasta and stir to mix well. About 4 servings. The spice in the cheese mix gives the pasta enough heat; if you like your chili hotter, use the hot & spicy canned chili.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Food / Drink