Beer-tastes, pairings, reviews

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Beer-tastes, pairings, reviews

Postby southernfry on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:24 pm

“I just wish that beer was more transportable across Canada. But in some ways that’s what craft beer is about. It’s about local connections with people that care about their product, care how their product tastes,” Ort says. “It was a challenge writing the book; getting the total coverage but also maintaining that idea that local is important and it’s worth connecting with.”

To demonstrate the Canadian craft beer landscape, Ort includes profiles of several major players, including Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub in Victoria, Nicole Barry – CEO of Half Pints Brewing Company in Winnipeg – and Mirella Amato – Master Cicerone and owner of Beerology in Toronto. “Mirella is arguably the number one beer educator in Canada; one of the most recognized in North America,” Ort says. “Nicole Barry opened the only craft brewery, more or less, in Manitoba and has seen line-ups out the door whenever they do a special release. And Spinnakers was the first brewpub in Canada; they’re a great marker of where craft beer has been in Canada.”

http://o.canada.com/life/food-drink/cra ... e-brewers/

Enough regular cookbooks out there to make one's head spin, so why not a cookbook that throws beer into the recipe. Would liven up a boring
meal.
Running to the border for bbq sauce
southernfry

Postby fishandchips on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:00 pm

Beer producers sometimes have an eatery featuring the craft beverages in dishes. Also grill manufacturers hire chefs to show how to prepare dishes on the grill and some dishes use beer. Beer restaurants have also published their own cookbooks.

As for me, I'll plate up if someone else does the cooking!
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:38 pm

February can still be a cold month in the Northern Hemisphere-cooking is necessary for sustenance and also to have a reason to try a new dish or two. Maybe have a dinner party for friends and feature fondue, breads, small bites and good refreshments that allow for talking or game playing.

If you have unopened beer and don't drink it nor cook with it, wait until spring comes around. You can decant some beer into jar lids and place them in gardens to keep slugs distracted from your garden plants.

Or save the beer for a handy friend who helps you out with a household maintenance issue. The beer becomes a reward for a task done to happy homeowner's satisfaction.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:44 pm

In this week’s do-not-miss world of beer news, it appears the Icelandic brewery Borg Brugghús has created a beer that gets its unique taste characteristics from, yes indeed, sheep dung.

The malted barley that goes into their Fenrir Nr. 26 is smoked over burning Icelandic sheep excrement for several hours, resulting in a brew that is, according to brewmaster Sturlaugur Jon Björnsson, “Þetta er í raun léttur IPA bjór með sítruslegt og ferskt bragð og lykt frá humlunum. Síðan kemur svolítið þyngri, taðreyktur fílingur í þetta en þetta gengur allt saman upp.” For the
non-Icelandic among us, that more or less translates as “It’s a lightweight IPA with fresh citrus and hop notes, then comes a bit heavier taste from the...” Well. You get the idea.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2014/07/18/she ... pt=hp_bn11

Non beer drinker and this news just makes it easier to never try it. Although beer does make a good shampoo/conditioner, especially if you are camping and need a quick hair wash.

Gas masks a necessity when around the burning dung?
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Spreadable beer-just what you need for the crackers.
http://www.birraaltaquota.it/prodotti/altri-prodotti/53-birra-spalmabile.html

Now it is available online for the foodies wanting to try this new idea of jarred stuff. What kind of pantry surprise can it make for a quick dinner? Does it go with pasta?
http://www.firebox.com/product/6559/Spreadable-Beer
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby pretzels on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:17 pm

More Oktoberfest meals and beer! Can skip turkey roast but will enjoy a sandwich or sausage on a bun. There are fall beers out in the stores if you know to look for them (online or in-store). Besides, sandwiches and sausages don't take up your half day or day in preparing (unless you are roasting the meat for sandwiches or making your own sausages). Simple, easy, get on with enjoying the day.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby deja vu on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Coors is about to launch a major PR offensive to tout its new gluten-free beer in line with the dietary trend that continues to gain followers.

After first teasing the launch to AdAge earlier this year, Coors has officially launched its new Coors Peak, pitched as the world’s first naturally gluten-free lager.

While other gluten-free beers are sorghum-based or chemically treated, Coors Peak is produced using a process that malts brown rice rather than barley. Hops and caramel sugar are added to lend character and brightness, says the company.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/coors-l ... -1.2258219

Not a beer drinker, so if anyone else has tried it let the rest of us know if it tastes good or better off as a shampoo. ;)

Keep in mind if you think it's lower in calories because it's gluten, you are probably mistaken.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby burnt fare on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:28 pm

November and time to think of interesting craft beers or beers to have on hand for guests if they come to dinner or a football match on the TV. Have to pick a weeknight to search the shelves for cans and boxes. Could use a beer for making bread too.

I'm a guy--there's no way anyone can convince me that using beer on my remaining hair will do wonders for it. No way.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby burnt fare on Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Shopping lounges are popular in malls this month. Do any of them offer beer at the bar? I'm keeping to my home and finding online browsing more to
my liking for the familiar things. Specialty items need a personal look at stores on quiet time.

Winter beers are available and tasting packs from brewers bundling two or three products into a box.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby pretzels on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Where are the beer postings and recipes? Patio time for some of us in North America.

Actually need to see what's left off the patio furniture first before I get serious about
buying some drinks for company on a Sunday or Saturday.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Previous

Return to Food / Drink