Beer-tastes, pairings, reviews

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Beer-tastes, pairings, reviews

Postby pretzels on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Time to look for summer beer festivals! You don't need to wait for Oktoberfest; you can look for craft beers or microbreweries or just plan a daytrip to a place with beer tastings and food pairings. Never know when you'll find a special beer that you cannot get at the beer store. http://www.beerfestivals.org/calendar/june.html

Montreal had a "world" event this past weekend.

Now, I wish I had a world budget to try the beer festivals in every country that has one, along with a robust stomach, I would be the ideal reviewer for the forum. Just kidding--staycation it is for me.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Food & Drink-the Summer 2011 issue-recommends some beers for seasonal refreshment with outdoor eating. Summer wheat beers are matched up with a burger, empanadas, fried fritters and a pizza featuring caramelized onions as a topping. Mill St. Lemon Tea Beer actually contains Earl Grey and orange pekoe flavours. A pale ale is suggested with a fish burger.

Of course, the magazine broaches barbecue recipes, the origins of charcoal briquettes (the founder of Ford had a charcoal company and shipped railcars of charcoal to car dealers when their car orders were shipped too-inspiration was that Mr. Ford did not like waste so put the scrap wood into his other business), and handy barbecue accessories.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby guitarblues on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Beer and pizza--easy solution to buy but making the fresh pizza with those fancy onions--on a cold day that would be doable. Hot day--easiest option wins!
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby burnt fare on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:49 pm

It's chiller time-cold or iced drinks with seats outdoors. Even I don't want to eat grilled food today--it is too hot to be near a hot appliance. Fruit, vegetables (hello, salad!) and drinks with some salty snacks qualify as dinner.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:34 am

I'd really want a serving of BBQ chicken that had been basted or cooked with pop or beer. Just a summertime craving on a humid summer day.

No beer on hand but some cans of Pepsi are. Actually, the citrus flavour of 7up soda would be ideal for a BBQ chicken.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby pretzels on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Had a white ale after supper because I suddenly wanted a beer. It was great as I had returned some empty bottles and decided to get a cold can of beer too.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby pretzels on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Beer festival time-Munich's already celebrating Oktoberfest. Talk about a tourist incentive to visit Germany at this time of year! ;)
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Oktoberfest would be a good reason for adults to adopt Alpine apparel (folk costumes, not ski gear) and learn to sings song about Edelweiss and other themes. Think of it as getting into the spirit and mood for a festival. Hey, dancing burns off calories! A whirl on the dance floor or doing the beer barrel polka is fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpBkUY62TtM&feature=related The Andre Rieu version of the song, sung by Heino (he's known but I don't know of him) in Maastricht, the Netherlands.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:17 pm

The other evening I was at the home of a friend. She is from Iran to England for schooling with her parents to follow, only to notice England was to wet & cold so all moved to Vancouver B.C.

Her husband is from London England.

Now I have been at their home many times before, as we are good friends, & they know I am a bachelor so I do appreciate a hot home cooked meal.

The matter came on, gradually about some beer, they had purchases from the USA & the dirty looks of the border officer.

I mentioned my parents like to have parties & had the keg of beer down in the cool basement, which is where I sleep or study. The chances of having a beer or two were so easy, but never touched once.

That simply floored both of them. They have both tried out with smoking when teener age, but with a daughter they did everything to protect her. They also mentioned how so many young girls or boys are snatched in USA or Canada.

For some reason, their daughter (that turned out to be a lovely looking young woman that recently married a full time fireman in Vacouver), to no parties, especially bush parties, no smoking, no booze.

They are amazed at what young boys & girls no sort of wear to school. As one pointed out how they are dressed "is asking for it". I think their way of bring up their daughter was the best one can ask for.

True I am off the taste or different beers, but things have been happening here in Canada & the USA that leaves the young people or even in their teens sort of open to adults in doing the wrong thing with them.
smitty

Postby burnt fare on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Well, it can't help if at home there is a strict no-booze rule or if parents don't model appropriate drinking roles. That's why kids will drink at night off site with pals or cars and get really in trouble.

Some households will allow kids to drink with family and model appropriate consumption with food.

Then there will be households that kids have to endure one or more adults drinking to excess and seeing that,either take up the bottles themselves or avoid it altogether in their social relationships so as to distance from what they see at home.

Parents really need to know their kids and help them adjust to peer pressure and even learn not to pressure kids to drink if that is not their inclination. Respect is a two-way deal between generations.

Oktoberfest-I'd consider a German beer or so but not the dress up part. Just not my kind of fun. Maybe I'd give the dance floor a try--could be good for the dating scene.
Burger time
burnt fare

PreviousNext

Return to Food / Drink