Beer-tastes, pairings, reviews

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Beer-tastes, pairings, reviews

Postby fishandchips on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:55 pm

The barbecue would be a good place to have Thanksgiving-some cider and songs, fall vegetable bake or grill plus that roast chicken dish using pop or beer. Dessert could be an apple crumble.

Today I saw a man singing along with whatever his personal music player was playing in a parking lot. He did not seem to mind that people were watching. Songs around a barbecue is the new urban campfire experience.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 pm

If you had a chance to visit a new pub or bar, how much would you depend upon websites, other visitor reviews or the drinks menu if posted online? Or would personal recommendations get your vote over all the online information? If I'm new to a place, I will seek as much online information to get a sense of the atmosphere, budget needed and possible dishes (good to have 2-3 in mind in case the first choice is not available). If I'm heading out with other people, I may follow one of their leads if they recommend a pub/bar and know the area better than me. However, I like advance research--it helps me to plan my visit.

Many venues have some sort of online presence. The venues that really hustle have their seasonal menus posted, plus any entertainment or specials for the time period.

This type of outing is similar to going out for fast food-there are locations known for service, cleanliness, menu variety and also range of hours. There are locations one avoids for the lack of any of the above attributes.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Ciel, do you remember around 10 years ago someone came out with a pop container that ONLY TASTED like a beer. A sport shop owner talked me into taking a sip of one & I agreed that it tasted like beer so not to my liking.

I think there is also something churning up in Canada of where along with groceries you can obtain the beer or wine as well----------so that also means those underage can be doing the same!!!!!!!!!!!
smitty

Postby deja vu on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Never thought I would see the day. The Brits are going to start watering down their beer.
I can't see that going over well.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... taxes?bn=1

The alcohol content in British beer is being reduced by brewers to save money after a series of annual tax increases lead to a spike in price and slump in pub sales.

Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest brewer, recently cut the strength of Stella Artois, Becks and Budweiser by .2 per cent. Carlsberg Export reduced the alcohol by volume of Carlsberg Export by the same amount, from 5 per cent to 4.8 per cent.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pretzels on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Watered down beer sounds like the plan to ban glass barware in favor of less breakable plastic barware. Guess the pub is not the one of memories but of convenience.

If going sober takes off in Britain, the loss of taxes will be felt in the economy.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby pretzels on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Pepperoni and cheese pizza with Foster's Lager=tonight's dinner. Haven't had some "amber nectar" from Australia in a looonnnggg time so I made sure it was on the menu today. :lol: I'm in a relaxed mood and looking at the lounger with some interest. Yep, it'll be a book and the lounger then some night sky watching. The grasscutting can wait another day--I want this one just for myself.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby pretzels on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Cases of beer at this time of year might have a bonus branded item inside (t-shirt, knit hat, bottle opener) the boxes. Or there can be some beer varieties available just for this season and once they sell out, they are gone for another year.

Spare hats are handy to have when the usual ones get lost in the car or in the house and are forgotten. They also fit into glove compartments (if you still have those) or under the seat storage boxes.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby guitarblues on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Warm days are coming and so are open patios! Work on your tan while sipping a beer. Have to find a place that goes beyond pizza and pasta to give the beer some food company.

And seating-to enjoy that beer, you don't want to be sitting on metal (too hot or cold) or on flimsy chairs. Padded or wooden seats are more comfortable. Beach type restaurants could have more rustic table and chairs.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby pretzels on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:24 pm

I think sitting outside with friends is part of the social experience, whether it's a picnic, a drink or just hanging out (maybe with a flying disc or ball to toss around).

While I do get nervous if a beer-loving friend comes over with opinions on beer, I would rather have some beer on hand that I usually like than not have any beer at all. Because friends will talk whether you have the right beer or no beer-can't win.

Of course, having some juice or punch mix in the cupboard is my way of saying, here's what I can offer you on a hot day.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby pretzels on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Fall beers are in the stores for a limited time. And there's Oktoberfest fun to be had as well as German brews. Some places have started Oktoberfest already so check what is available in your major cities. If you happen to be right in Germany enjoying the shows and entertainment, "to your health" is the toast from me!
Old salt on board.
pretzels

PreviousNext

Return to Food / Drink