Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:35 pm

The spring issue of Food and Drink magazine has a section on hot cross buns (sweet ones and even savoury ones). Some spice, some sugar and dried fruit to make a delicious bite:

80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby alohasand on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:46 pm

Toaster waffles with blueberry or raspberry - no need for syrup. Just eat them from the hand-mm, mmm, good.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:26 pm

Chestnuts roasting in a delivery van
Mar 11, 2009 04:30 AM
Susan Sampson
Food Writer

Meet Mr. Chestnut.

"Chestnuts are the most attractive thing to customers – fresh roasted, hot, the flavour, the smell, attract people," says Stanley Hu.

He is a true believer who has taken his message to the streets. Hu runs a steady business in Markham roasting chestnuts and delivering them to supermarkets. Now, he has converted a delivery van into a chestnut-mobile – "running around on the streets of Toronto, roasting and selling chestnuts," as Hu enthusiastically describes it.

The comforting, smoky scent reaches you before the Mr. Chestnut truck does. Hu waves as the van pulls up to the curb on Bloor St. W. in Koreatown. It's one of his three hangouts in the metropolis. The truck is white, plastered with bright yellow signs. One sign may surprise customers; it points out that chestnuts are low in fat, unlike other nuts. http://www.thestar.com/living/article/599941

For the street food fans in Toronto, you have this hot treat to enjoy in three places. Given the wintry air blowing in the city, something tasty and fun to peel can provide warmth in a bag.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:59 pm

Gourmet's March issue has an article on Czech bakeries in Texas that make kolaches: sweet dough puffs with fruit, cream cheese or poppy seed filling. They look like filling fare:

Perfect baked goods for eating on the go.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:23 pm

A partial box of Tim Horton donuts made its way home and I took a Boston Creme donut--fresh donut, tasty glaze, uh-that is vanilla creme filling? Either the creme filling's sweetness has been changed or my tastebuds are in revolt. Unfortunately, my other two donut choices also contained the creme filling, one in a powdered donut I had hoped was jelly (no) and the other with a maple glaze. No jelly donuts in the box.

So I withdraw my previous interest in Boston Creme pie and the donuts. What will be, will be (que sera, sera). My interest in jelly donuts remains keen.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:12 pm

The rice puuding with raisns was so much to my liking. Thing is one could make up enough for a week plus. Just eat what is needed, to simply warm it up again. In all cases the rice & raisins were good for you. I liked it better then Jello for it was warm each time with a touch of warm milk.

Now being fruit orcahardist, I had a love for Apply Betty pudding, with some Cinnamon on top & again it only had to be warmed up again to a larger bowly of it.

When Xmas dinner comes around so many people have a plumb pudding, but the healty one was CARROT pudding & again just a slice or two alone with warmed up sauce to warmed up said slice of carrot pudding was ideal. All I have the recipe for it, but not the time to do the same for I know it was not made up in seconds. Well same to the Apple Betty.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:19 pm

Is there a seniors' dinner night at the community hall or legion that would make it worthwhile for you to prepare a batch of the carrot pudding? Or if there is someone who would make it up for you provided you purchased the ingredients, you could still have a taste of the pudding while the weather's cool. Have never tried carrot pudding--it does sound delicious and a change from rice pudding or Jello chocolate pudding.

There are a couple of desserts my mother makes that I have not learned to make. If I really wanted to spend the time making them, I would have written out the recipes a long time ago. Apple strudel is something she makes from scratch, dough included. I copied an East European strudel recipe and it took would take a good part of a day to make from scratch. Have to be in the mood to make dough to then stretch finely.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby 123duyusee on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:17 pm

Fruit tarts-yum, yum! Talk about portion control built into dessert. Caramel corn as the rare snack is good. Frozen desserts in summer win points for cooling one off in the heat.

Sweet cherries say natural goodness by the handful.
The count is in...
123duyusee

Postby burnt fare on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Once in awhile, a chocolate bar with a soft or chewy filling hits the spot for dessert or snack. Not always peanut-related chocolate bars, as the nuts can taste dry in the filling. Caramel is great. :D
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby fishandchips on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:45 pm

Easter chocolate treats are at 50% off when you do see them in the shops. Not the hollow rabbits or eggs (all gone) but the smaller filled eggs in foil or other fillings in little sacks. Lovely bit of sweet shock to buy.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

PreviousNext

Return to Food / Drink