Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

Postby Sugarfix on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:31 am

I baked 2 loaves of extra moist banana bread this morning ! Amazing stuff !

3 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. each - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 c. nuts (optional)

3 eggs
1 1/2 c. salad oil
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. mashed bananas

Sift dry ingredients, add remaining ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon only until well blended. Pour into two greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 60-80 minutes.
Sugarfix

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:42 pm

My batch of the lemon currant hot cross buns after the sugar glaze was applied (I'm skipping the icing part for lack of icing sugar):
Hot cross buns_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:44 pm

The LCBO's new Early Summer edition of Food & Drink is available (might be out of stock in high traffic stores) this week. While there are deconstructed desserts, tarts and cakes shown, my eyes are enjoying the citrus-hued tableware and linens. Feast for the eyes, in case you want ideas for new items to add to your warm weather food servings. 8-)
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue May 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Milk chocolate bar with fruit and nuts--good, filling treat for the evening munchies. I used to enjoy those rice, nougat and caramel bars but find them to lack flavour. Caramel can be a treat in those square candies (found in bulk bins outside of Halloween season) or Caramilk bars.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun May 31, 2009 6:51 pm

The fake fruit flavours in fruit jelly candies, along with the sugar and glucose syrup, are really tempting. A store brand of the jelly candies has strong scents of the "supposed fruit," reeling in my olfactory receptors towards the treats.

McCain's Chocolate Cake, the freezer variety, is quite good with the topping removed. I like the cake to be a day or two old so that it gets drier.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Summer fruits--I have missed the strawberries and raspberries but did pick so-called sour cherries, which had a very short time for picking. Might be due to the quantity of rain in the past two weeks that made many cherries turn into mush quickly.

Apricots and plums are other fruits to anticipate later. Plum platz is an easy sweet dessert to make. MMM!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:58 pm

July 13, 2009, 3:44 pm
Faceoff With Canada, but Not on Ice
By Julia Moskin

The Canadian mega-chain Tim Hortons, a kind of hybrid of Dunkin’ Donuts, McDonald’s and Howard Johnson’s, opened its first Manhattan outposts this morning, in 12 locations that had been Dunkin’ Donuts.

Tim Hortons doughnuts are freshly made at each location, so when the Dining staff gathered for a blind tasting of doughnuts from Dunkin’ Donuts and the newly arrived Tim Hortons, we expected to find traditional flavor in the box of upstarts. The results were more complicated.

We tasted five basic types side by side: plain cake, glazed yeast, Boston cream, chocolate frosted, and “French cruller” doughnuts. No sprinkles or jelly were included. (Sadly, some of the more intriguing Tim Hortons products were not available, like walnut crunch doughnuts, apple fritters and dutchies, made of yeast dough with raisins.) http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/13/faceoff-with-canada-but-not-on-ice/?hp

Tim Hortons was planning to revert to Canada for its ownership but news of a few US sites that it was opening led to this article. Donut chain fans are partial to their favourite brand of coffee or donuts. I could not resist posting the faceoff here given the popularity of Tim Horton's donut shops in Canada.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby burnt fare on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:20 pm

The earlybirds that visited the newest store for Krispy Kreme got scratch tickets. For the cash winners, the money came in handy for pressing financial reasons.

Krispy Kreme factory store grand opening in Peoria
by Marjon Rostami - Nov. 10, 2009 06:30 AM
The Arizona Republic
About 100 people lined up early Tuesday morning for the grand opening of the new Krispy Kreme shop in Peoria.

The first 250 people in line received a “Doughnut Dan” scratch-off ticket, named after the Arizona franchise owner, Dan Brinton.

Everyone won something, but the grand prize was a lifetime supply of Krispy Kreme and $1,000.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/peoria/articles/2009/11/09/20091109gl-peokrispyopen1110.html

Homer Simpson would be so jealous over the lifetime supply prize of doughnuts.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby fishandchips on Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Donuts that have not shrunk (price increase, surely?) are rare these days. Big chain stores have been shrinking their donuts in the past couple of years.

I have not been in a proper Krispy Kreme shop in years. Glad to know they still are.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:45 pm

GTA woman wins Ben & Jerry’s contest with flavour name Oh, Cone-ada!
Published On Mon Jul 26 2010
Judy Creighton,
The Canadian Press
Carolee Dunn is going to throw an ice-cream party. The guests will be friends and family who voted for her entry in a contest to give a Canadian name to a chunky ice cream created by Ben & Jerry’s.

Oh, Cone-ada!, won first place in the competition staged by the ice-cream company, and will give the Burlington resident a year’s supply of the new confection. Her winning name will be on pints beginning this fall.

The flavour is a combination of vanilla ice cream, fudge-covered waffle cone pieces and a fudge swirl to top it all off.

“Because it had waffle cone pieces, I wanted to put something that had the word cone in it, and that is how I came up with the title,” Dunn, a 27-year-old student nurse, said in an interview.http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/840310--gta-woman-wins-ben-jerry-s-contest-with-flavour-name-oh-cone-ada
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Food / Drink