Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

Postby fishandchips on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

The holiday Food & Drink issue holds scrumptious recipes. Mango teabread sounds jolly for the cold weather--nothing like tropical fruit to give the tastebuds a boost! I won't fuss with iced cakes.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby manga2read on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:26 am

Tea party at fishandchip's place-joking. Mango is a good flavour but I have not had it in a baked dish yet.

I could go for a cherry trifle or a peach one right now--craving trifle.
a word with you
manga2read

Postby pysanky on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:34 am

Italian sweet bread in fancy paper and can-panettone is in grocery stores. Dry,chewy bread, lots of fruit-good eating. :D
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby burnt fare on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Easter sweets--favorite chocolate snacks are those hollow rabbits (with or without the candy eyes) and marshmallow chocolate treats. The odd creamy egg can be tasty.

Not a baker, I will rely on store-bought goods to carry me through. If the weather's warm, I can just enjoy iced tea or lemonade instead and admire the flowers.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Locally grown strawberries are in season and taste so good! Someone brought a quart container of the berries, washed and topped them, then dried them on paper towels.

Definitely a highlight of growing season is the taste of fresh berries. Shortcake is not on the menu as the berries don't last long when they are brought inside (they are eaten quickly!).
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby guitarblues on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Strawberries are good fresh and in a couple of desserts. I like it when I can get a ready-made cake or tart with berries.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:35 pm

Fresh peaches are nice. Apple crops will become available as the nights gets longer and cooler. Fall fair time--cotton candy, caramel corn, more candy...and sometimes pies and baked squares can be found to eat while at the fairs.

If cookies are your version of favourite sweet foods, consider finding the Tupperware vendor rep at your fair so you can get the newest containers! There will be a small quantity of containers sold for storage, carrying lunches or cooking in the microwave. Once the day's stock is gone, your next option will be to consider hosting a Tupperware party of your own! There is usually a draw for a set of product too.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby pretzels on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Warm fruit pie (not lemon meringue) with a crumble topping--say yes to one if you have that happy occasion come your way. Making a pie takes time to make the shell from scratch then the fruit filling. Crumbles are faster and can be messy put together but baked, the taste wins over the looks.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby smitty on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:45 pm

I think my late mother realized since we had several fruit orchards then she could pick anything. Think here favorite was an apple betty & enough left over till next Supper.

She found the cooking apples like McIntosh, Newton, & Gravenstien were so much better then red or golden delicious as they were basically a fresh eating apple while McIntosh, Newtown & Grvenstien were the best for cooking purposes.
smitty

Postby smitty on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I knew when lst purchasing this lst fruit orchard, that the blossoms had be frozen off. Yet in wandering around & looking up I noted the Winatchee Morepark Apricot, that was way overripe.

Reached up to get it only it came down in the form of JUICE. So with a picking bag I removed 1/2 or 3/4 of an apple box of them not overripe.

Believe me my Mother went crazy over them, to even start to preserve some. All other farms told us two other makes were better, yet to us it was the Wenatchee Morepark that was lst.

I remember my mother demanding my father in to taste them. He was floored by the taste & one must remember right after the Spanish Flue & in California he hated eating dried cots. Obviously that different.

Yes we preserved the bettery apricots, but not up to snuff to our mind compared to Wenatchee Moorepark.
smitty

PreviousNext

Return to Food / Drink