Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Aside from the Girl Guide cookie thread, Speak-Ez does not have a dessert thread, where you can post about your favourite desserts (and not so favourite ones). Since boxed sweets (chocolate assortments and caramels, in particular) are selling well in North America at this time of year, cakes and other sweet dishes or foods come to mind also! So I encourage stories about your dessert experiences.

I had a certain kind of birthday cake for several of my younger birthdays-checkerboard torte with ground walnuts over the chocolate frosting. While it looked grand to see a slice, each finished cake took hours of effort to make and basically I tired of the cake, especially when one of my eyes would go red after eating 1 or 2 slices. At this time, I will allow for ground hazelnuts or almonds in a cake batter but dislike walnuts in any dessert in adulthood.

I loved a banana roll cake that Dominion store's bakery made in the 1970's-I was able to make a similar tasting torte about 10 years and discovered that rich sweet banana taste required so much icing sugar! A hazelnut torte (layers have plenty of ground toasted hazelnuts in the batter) with cherry jam and whipped cream is a favourite cake from the 1990s-I made it a few times and it looks similar to Black Forest cake. Recipes Only put out some amazing cake recipes and though I have only tried two of them (they require time for the cake layers, the buttering of tins and the papering, then the post-baking peel), I have kept the little glossy pages for when a homemade cake urge comes around.

Carrot cake with cheese frosting-what a nasty creation in the 1990s! No frosting for carrot cake and no nuts either for my carrot cake, which is an oil cake version.

Eaton's used to sell buttertarts with raisins and coconut-that was a rich little dessert to finish off a cafeteria meal!

What sugary treats do you enjoy or have enjoyed?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

Postby fishandchips on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Cherry and peach trifle is one indulgence I cannot get enough of-if there is a trifle at a buffet, I will take a generous helping and overlook any pies! I may add some canned fruit on the side or not.

Fruit crumbles-oatmeal and berry or apple make the dish seem healthier. :D
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:08 pm

Image Panettone, that sweet bread with dried fruits baked in a paper collar, is like brioche bread or a rich raisin bread. Last year, I had a chance to try a panettone that was a gift and I found the dessert a bit drier than the raisin bread. However, I could not stop eating it! No need for sauces or butter, the treat goes well with a hot tea! Mmmm!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby dreamon on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:55 pm

Vanilla bean/white chocolate mousse cheesecake. Had some a long time ago at a TGIF in the U.S.

I love cheesecake and this was so good.

T.G.I. Friday's: Vanilla bean cheesecake:
Made with real vanilla beans and layered with white chocolate mousse and shavings. Baked in a vanilla graham cracker
crust and served with whipped cream

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Any photos of holiday baking in progress would be treats for us to see. Encouragement from this keyboard!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:59 pm

I used to love rice pudding many years ago, but I don't know if that would be true now. I haven't had it in a very long time.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:06 pm

Homemade rice pudding is best but not a watery version-thicker pudding, please! I dislike seeing commercial rice pudding with raisins and such. I like a general lashing of ground cinnamon and some nutmeg on my hot pudding, which is generous in milk and sugar proportions. Yum!

Cold rice pudding is a wonderful breakfast treat.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:44 pm

Checkerboard torte with familiar icing but without the ground walnuts sprinkled on the top and side of the cake. Looked good.

ImageBoston Cream Pie-if you like the donut version, you'll love the "pie" version too. Just takes time to make the pudding filling, bake the layers, and assemble it together with the chocolate glaze on top. MMMM!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:17 pm

Placing a virtual dessert order request: one serving of the checkerboard torte, one of the Boston cream pie, one whole panettone, one trifle, one crumble...oh, I wish to sample the lot now! Pity they are images and memories only. :(
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Boxed milk chocolates with soft caramel fillings or fruit fillings or ground hazelnuts gain favour with my palate. Jelly fruit (citrus slices or molded fruit shapes) provide a change in bite-size treats.

Dark chocolate, Brazil nuts, and pecans (well, maybe in caramel chocolates) prompt hesitation due to how they taste.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Food / Drink