Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

Postby smitty on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Well there is another story & it has to do with Winatchie Moorpark apricots, plus a Bull Snake in my basement when I came back from chainging the sprinklers on both orchards to the orchard just below us, the daughter & her mother being sent off screaming as they spotted the same Bull snake----no danger as they like mice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:04 pm

A glossy food magazine features 5 kinds of white cookies for holiday baking/serving this winter. A couple of cakes are mentioned as well. So much icing sugar is sprinkled on the plates, along with groupings of Christmas ornaments and shiny objects...

There's a menu for Boxing Day, one for Christmas and one for New Year's Day (Chinese dishes). Many dips and savories, along with holiday-themed drinks and then the ads pages, most of them suggesting their products to specific foods for holiday enjoyment.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:59 pm

A good point CielOnTap, for around Xmas time my Mother use to make a lovely Carrot Cake, probably something she learned from her mother for they were farming people.

That carrot cake was well liked for the next few months with a bit or warm sauce she made up. To me that outdid a plum pudding or such during Xmas day supper & still good at suppers even later down the month's days for supper.

I think I still have her recipie upstairs in one of her books.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:28 am

You could check your recipe collection, Smitty, to see if you may have a chance to make a cake yourself. I haven't make a proper cake with icing in a long time. I've made coffee cakes and their ease of preparation is the main reason.

That reminds me that fruit would need to macerate in some juice or alcohol for a long week before making a rich fruitcake. Hmm, have to find out if there is a chance of that fruitcake being made soon. For whatever reason, I have an interest in fruit pie too because almost all the store-made kind is heavy on oil shortening, but I do like a lard pastry crust (just not the rolling out part).

A television clip seen this week had a doctor mention that eating moderately, exercising moderating and drinking moderately would get people through holiday events. Perhaps karaoke should be a gathering staple, so that any food and drink calories could be worked off by enthusiastic singing and some swaying. Unless those Wii play consoles are being used instead as part of a party in between chats and holiday wishes?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:56 am

Trail mix, with almonds, figs and apricots, is getting my snacking attention. The textures and tastes are yummy and chewy. I find the mix good for a quick snack, then my attention goes elsewhere.

I have not made a trifle and would love one for New Year's Day. Some days remain to see to that!
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Cooling down from the oven: warm gingerbread cake that is somewhat pale-I did not have molasses on hand so I substituted an approximate amount of white sugar for the molasses. Cake looks like a big round cookie and smells of vanilla and a few spices. This cake is not iced and that's fine because the dessert is sweet enough.

Apple streusel cake will have to wait another time when cooking apples are in the cellar. I'd like another attempt at banana cake but have to see if I can make the icing less like achy tooth sweet. It's been years since I made the banana cake and I'm craving it too this month. There are no nuts in the batter-joy!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Only during Halloween are General Mills' cereals Count Chocula, Boo Berry, and Franken Berry available for a limited time on store shelves in Canada. The products had not been selling well, so they come out at the end of October. If you remember watching US cartoons on Saturdays during the 1970s and early 1980s, you would have seen commercials for these sugary breakfast foods.

http://www.thestar.com/living/food/article/1279308--halloween-means-count-chocula-franken-berry-and-boo-berry-are-back-in-toronto
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 pm

The Ontario liquor chain known as LCBO released its holiday issue of Food & Drink magazine yesterday and there are desserts galore. Passion lime bars would make a table merry--I'd recommend using the gold tableware on sunny table linens to brighten up a November or December gathering. There's a hazelnut cake that looks domed but is make with cake sections lining the bowl to contain the filling.

Marshmallows get a turn at desserts as well-they are made square and incorporated as a topping or base for desserts. Sweet fun. I'm going to clip them out for the recipe binder.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:47 pm

My late mother use to make up a apple pudding. I think it can have another name, but it was good especially to us fruit orchardists.

Still come Xmas time she would make up a Carrot Pudding That can be found in the internet.

It had the advantage of being sliced & used again with some warmed up sauce. SO in reality it could be in the fridge for many months to also warmed up & given to anyone a dessert.

Sorry no photos for my Leica IIIC is with an additional light meter, to the Spotomatic was ideal with its batteries, I cannot obtain for some yrs, that have been dead for yrs.
smitty

Postby smitty on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Smitty wrote:My late mother use to make up a apple pudding. I think it can have another name, but it was good especially to us fruit orchardists.

Still come Xmas time she would make up a Carrot Pudding That can be found in the internet.

It had the advantage of being sliced & used again with some warmed up sauce. SO in reality it could be in the fridge for many months to also warmed up & given to anyone a dessert.

Sorry no photos for my Leica IIIC is with an additional light meter, to the Spotomatic was ideal with its batteries, I cannot obtain for some yrs, that have been dead for yrs.

I usually give the Girl Scouts $5.00 for a box----after all it is to thank them for the time they have been spending in tryig to obtain a bit of money for the Girl Scouts.
smitty

PreviousNext

Return to Food / Drink