Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

They May or May Not Be Healthy, But ...

Re: Ode to desserts and other sweet foods

Postby alohasand on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Girl Guide cookies-their boxes seem smaller every two years. $5 is going rate for one cookie box, I hear.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 pm

I poached some peeled pears in water, sugar, pure vanilla and a little white wine two days ago. When the cooking was done and the liquid just comfortably warm, I tried a pear and it tasted like a warm fruit cup! The wine was subtle in flavouring the pears. I had reduced the one cup of sugar to a half-cup and that was adequate for the purpose.

I should try using orange juice next time to flavour the pears. I'm keen to make other stewed fruit or cooked fruit recipes-warm is a good temperature for dessert (not hot)!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Was disappointed with the lack of tropical fruits on the reduced produce shelves (only 3 papayas in a package or bananas-so not interested).

Came home and decided frozen cranberries and three leftover pears would make a good fruit crisp-only butter, flour, brown sugar and bit of citrus juice/rind required to be added in after the fruit in a glass baking dish. Well, my grated orange rind gave the crisp a pleasant scent and I skipped the ground cinnamon. Talk about easy dessert-great way to warm the house as well.

Bought a gluten-free banana loaf. It almost takes like a store-bought white cake with some banana flavour (kind of half-real tasting, half cloying sweet tasting). Glad that the loaf was reduced-price as I'm now not likely to buy it again. Could be the same outcome with the other loaf that the store sells. However, I'd like to try making gluten-free quick loaves and muffins if I can get all the ingredients in one shopping run and have new baking pans just for gluten-free baking.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:09 pm

Fruit crisps for cold winter nights taste great but the 1 recipe quantity is certainly not enough! If I am hungry enough or on a carbohydrate craving, one batch of crisp and pot of tea keep me going through an evening. And I feel nice and warm! Then have to expend the extra calories doing some shovelling or brisk walking.

When I have frozen berries on hand again, I will consider making coffee cakes/muffins. Banana loaf is ok but it's the standby recipe for rescuing/using up the last couple of ripe bananas.

Wish I had the patience to fuss with phyllo sheets to make cherry cheese cups from a 1990s ad for pie filling. They are rich desserts--I have a time handling/buttering each sheet then trimming the stack to pleat them into muffin cups before filling.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed May 09, 2018 7:11 pm

The price of pure vanilla extract started to rise last year after a cyclone affected crops (damaging them) but 2018 sent another cyclone.
Now the price of vanilla extract is higher than sterling silver. Don't expect to see much vanilla in treats unless you want to pay $$ for the real thing or will accept artificial vanilla flavour.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/vanilla-more-expensive-than-silver-following-cyclone-enawo-madagascar-march-2017/101207/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Just came across this video -

Irish People Taste Test Canadian Desserts

https://youtu.be/_29PUhnhn9c
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin