*** Images From Our Archives ***

............PEACE ON EARTH

*** Images From Our Archives ***

Postby Speak-Ez on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:09 pm

This picture was posted on December 1st, 2008.

Santas in New York: People dressed Santa Claus cross Fifth Avenue near St. Patrick’s Cathedral during the annual Sidewalk Santa parade in New York, Friday. The Santas will become familiar faces in midtown New York through Dec. 24, collecting donations to provide food support to more than 6,600 needy people through the Volunteers of America’s Hope and Hearth Food Voucher program.

Posted on December 13th, 2008

Skating in central Seoul: People enjoy skating on an ice rink at Seoul Plaza in front of City Hall, which opened Friday.

Korea Times Photo by Cho Young-ho.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: *** Images From Our Archives ***

Postby smitty on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Do not see one or a couple, skating togeather, with a set of speed-skates unless the one with speed-skates is standing still.

Liked the size of the ice for on a set of speed-skates it would be something like 8 stokes or more before the easy side parts of just two strokes.

When young & speed-skating I would like a sheet ice like that. Though we borrowed two Fire Department pumps, cut through the ice of the Red River or Assiniboine Rider to finally have a oval for speed skating. One chap would drag down a hut with a wood burning stove in it, Mind you we had to keep the ice in proper form for even a Zamboni was not in most Cdn cities in Western Canada.
smitty

Postby smitty on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:50 pm

Sorry Speak/Ez, but did my post hault all the rest for really they were lovely?
smitty

Postby Speak-Ez on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Smitty wrote:Sorry Speak/Ez, but did my post hault all the rest for really they were lovely?

Not at all Smitty. Not to worry. Comments are more than welcome.

We'll be adding to the thread step-by-step. Lots of work to do this season on the Net and brick-and-mortar and I had to scoot off to do other things. We'll keep working on this thread and it'll be around for a number of years. Maybe as long as the Speak-Ez Community is around, which would be nice to think will be forever.

Anyway, no apology needed, Smitty. Carry on, as the Drill Instructor/Sergeant used to say.

In fact, let me add an image from our archives to this post.

A stained-glass rendering of the Nativity story by Lawrence Saint.

Photo: Mike Mergen for The New York Times

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:05 pm

I still keep on thinking of that ice for public skating. The only ice outside or inside is made to be hockey playing ice.

So any of us speed-skaters, even being gradual in our leg strokes with five at each of the two bends while down the easy straints were just two strokes.

That lovely sheet of ice, as showen, would have been eight leg strokes around the two ends (only 5 at normal hockey rink size) & something like three or four down each side, compared to the gradual three if on a hockey rink. THAT is why this rink cought my eye.

I can tell you when WWII was on there were some outdoor skating rinks in places like Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to Winnipeg Manitoba for others to injoy & for speed skating people they were lovely in being longer & wider compared to hockey skating rinks PLUS music AND in some cases a number of amateur musicians were in the middle sort of building, minus sides, so YES a lot of waltz numbers were played & so many would skate arm-in-arm. I know for I was still on tube skates & my Mother often took me in arm for some time with more speed then us younger kids could do. It was her power, in the use of speed skates, & me in arm sort of being helped around that faster but stroked to the swing of the music. Yes she would have me on the inside, left to her to help me.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:10 am

I'm aware that on one church green, a community group set up an outdoor rink just for skating this winter. It is not meant for hockey, just good outdoor skating with friends and family. If one had to go to an arena without ice time sponsorship, a fee would be involved to get on the ice.

Tim Horton's is sponsoring some ice time in January (on the second) in some communities. Most of the ice time was already enjoyed in December.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to HAPPY HOLIDAYS from the Speak-Ez Staff!