Animal World Tales

That's what we see from space. Let's try to keep it that way.

Re: Animal World Tales

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Fla. officials offer amnesty day for exotic pets
Mon Mar 16, 7:40 AM
By The Associated Press

MIAMI - Got a spare rhesus monkey, Mexican spiny-tailed iguana or Cuban tree frog causing trouble around the house?

Wildlife officials in Florida and the Miami Metrozoo are holding their fifth annual Non-native Pet Amnesty Day on Saturday. Owners of exotic pets are allowed to turn them in without facing the usual fines and other penalties for violating the state's wildlife laws. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090316/koddities/oddity_exotic_pet_amnesty

Someone last year or the year before was charged in the US for releasing a non-native aquatic creature. The owner had meant to use the creature for soup but decided to put the creature into the local water source instead.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:53 pm

I do not know CielOnTap, about snakes to animals. Regarding the first one I would have in mind I will probably have a MOON roor put into my Subaru 'Forster' after the damage I did to the car in trying to jump through the normal roof.

Snakes or reptiles are something I simply hate. Some chap & his wife opened up a snake & reptile shop in city of Penticton & WONDERED why they did not have a lot of onlookers for not all of us in this area like reptiles or snakes. So reason they closed up in a while I would think.

I came in from moving the sprinkler pipes on the orchards to find a large snake curled up in the corner of the entrance/exit door to also upstairs where b/fast was smelling. A long story but I did not kill it, though neighbor said he would not release it into his orchard, but on another on across town.

The ordhard below me was by an Italian farm I got along with so well with them. His daughter approached me on evening when I was having Tea, since she was waitress till going to University & came over asking me if I heard any screaming there on Tuesday, & no I had no. So tells me that her mother & here had picked over ripe apricots, split them open & on the garage roof they were drying, then she would have something good for a snack & remind her of home when at University.

Seems both were walking along when this gigantic Bull Snake slithered right in front of them, both frightened of snakes & both went screaming off in different directions till they ran out of power. So possibly said Bull Snake in my basement was the one my neighbor had released in his HOME orchard & said snake took better terrain in the Italian's orchard. Mind you it could have been the mate of the other!!!

This was a very, very pretty gal & you should have seen her asking me it the snake looked like this or that, then the incident & I thought my friend was about to fall off his stool due to laughter for REALLY her eyes were so large & this serious look on the face of a pretty gal. Well something I will never forget.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:13 pm

I have never seen a bull snake and would probably keep my distance until I know if they are dangerous or not. Im no expert so they get my respect and a lot of distance if I dont recognize what kind of snake it is.

One that I would never hesitate around is the Garter snake. Also know as a Garden or Gardner snake. Totally harmless and they are abundant in Northern Ontario. Handled many when I was in the Lake of the Woods area many, many years ago. No fear of them but others panicked just seeing one, especially if someone picked them up.

To some a bull snake may look menacing:

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby burnt fare on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:16 pm

One reason to miss outdoor camping or roughing it outdoors-snakes. Yeesh, the fright factor alone and the resultant screaming and shouting would have me on edge. Let the nature types/reptile lovers go for broke on their walks.

The common snakes get their share of flat endings on roads during the change of seasons. Late summer is not good for them nor mild winter weather.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby verreettas on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:27 am

Next time your drinking and you think your seeing Pink Elephants, you actually may be seeing them.

Pink elephant is caught on camera

A pink baby elephant has been caught on camera in Botswana. A wildlife cameraman took pictures of the calf when he spotted it among a herd of about 80 elephants in the Okavango Delta.

Experts believe it is probably an albino, which is an extremely rare phenomenon in African elephants. They are unsure of its chances of long-term survival - the blazing African sunlight may cause blindness and skin problems for the calf.

Mike Holding, who spotted the baby while filming for a BBC wildlife programme, said: "We only saw it for a couple of minutes as the herd crossed the river.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7951331.stm
I don’t know the same things you don’t know
And I forget the same things you forget
verreettas

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:07 pm

REUTERS

A baby Asian elephant was born at the Berlin Zoo on Sunday, March 15. Photographed for the first time today, 5-day-old Ko Raya tested her legs under the careful watch of her mother Pang Pha. Ko Raya is 22-year-old Pang Pha's third offspring and the 21st elephant to be born in Berlin. She came to the world weighing 168 kilograms -- 370 pounds -- and is named for a group of islands in the Indian Ocean.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Jellyfish Invasion Closes Hanauma Bay
Officials To Determine Saturday Whether To Reopen

HONOLULU -- Lifeguards closed Hanauma Bay on Friday after box jellyfish washed onto shore.

More than 40 box jellyfish washed onto shore in an hour with more floating in the water, Honolulu Emergency Services Department spokesman Bryan Cheplic said.

Officials will check conditions on Saturday to determine whether to reopen the beach.

http://www.kitv.com/cnn-news/18977616/detail.html

Definitely keep your distance.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pysanky on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Pink elephant, pink dolphin-next pink creature will be...? Animal eyes and people eyes notice so much strangeness or difference in living on planet. If elephant or dolphin could talk and say like or not like attention?
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:50 pm

Komodo dragons attack a man so badly, he died of his injuries. Very sad outcome.

Two Komodo dragons kill fruitpicker in eastern Indonesia
Module body
Tue Mar 24, 3:46 AM

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Two Komodo dragons mauled a fruit-picker to death in eastern Indonesia, police and witnesses said Tuesday, the latest in a string of attacks on humans by the world's largest lizard species.

Police Sgt. Kosmas Jalang said 31-year-old Muhamad Anwar was attacked on Komodo, one of four islands where the giant reptile is found in the wild, minutes after he fell out of a sugar-apple tree on Monday.

He was bleeding badly from bites to his hands, body, legs and neck after two lizards, waiting below, attacked him, according to a neighbour, Theresia Tawa. He died at a clinic on the neighboring island of Flores soon after.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090324/world/komodo_dragon_attack_1
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:34 pm

Spotted this story while reading about the former NZ PM:

'Mama, baby!': hero parrot saves choking baby
March 25, 2009 - 12:12PM

A parrot whose cries of alarm alerted his US owner when a little girl choked on her breakfast has been honoured as a hero.

Willie, a Quaker parrot, has been given the Denver Red Cross chapter's Animal Lifesaver Award.

In November, Willie's owner, Megan Howard, was babysitting for a toddler. Ms Howard left the room and the little girl, Hannah, started to choke on her breakfast.

Willie repeatedly yelled "Mama, baby" and flapped his wings. Ms Howard returned to find the girl turning blue. http://www.smh.com.au/world/mama-baby-hero-parrot-saves-choking-baby-20090325-99hs.html
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

PreviousNext

Return to Green, White, and Blue