Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Respect

That's what we see from space. Let's try to keep it that way.

Re: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Respect

Postby smitty on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:51 pm

We to have run into similiar savings. Like I must have 5 or 6, speciaL woven ones of them in the basement to be put into service when shopping & usually I have another 6 of them in my mini-SUV for good reasons.

We are NOT alllowed to deliver garbage & paper/plastic goods to the big garbage space. We are forced to put garbage in BLACK or Dark Green containers of a light size on just certian days of the month. Same with plastic/paper goods in the smaller Blue container while pruinings or grass or such goes into an orange or clear plastic container. They all must be light & light enough to where I can pick any of them up with my pinky finger. If I miss a given day then tough luck also I keep my plastic bags inside my home & away from dogs, coyotes, bears & such.

We use to be able to dump off cardboad stuff to a lot, but not any more as they must go into the smaller blue container & some cardboard boxes are LARGE like my 8' long rowing machine that also has some depth & still cannot find out how to cut it all up as of some 4 yrs of suffering.
smitty

Postby fishandchips on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Garbage hotel opens in the Madrid city centre

January 20, 2011 — Madrid, Spain (Reuters) A new hotel made with 12 tonnes of rubbish opens in central Madrid to raise awareness of the environmental damage experienced by the world's oceans.
Madrid welcomed a new and unusual hotel on Thursday (January 20) in the heart of its commercial centre off the busy Gran Via.

The Corona Save the Beach Hotel, designed by German eco-artist H.A. Schult, has no intentions of competing with The Ritz or any luxury hotel: it's built using 12 tonnes of garbage collected from the beaches of Spain, Italy, France and Belgium, rubbish dumps and flea markets.

The goal of Schult's installation is to raise awareness of the damage consumerism has on the world beaches.

“We must know and we must understand that the oceans are the biggest garbage dumps of the world,” Schult told Reuters Television. “The garbage of Europe meets the garbage of Australia, the garbage of South America meets the garbage of North America, in the oceans.” http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=garbage_hotel_opens_in_the_m_200111?ref=ccbox_weather_category2

The writeup does not say how long this hotel will last (imagine how ripe it could smell in spring!). Imagine, a beer company sponsored this project! Blue Flag--something tourist books mention as to whether a beach can be swum in or not. If you are travelling and want the beach experience, you don't want to swallow water that can give you the runs or worse.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:04 am

I try to carry several of the woven bags in my SUV when I am grocery shopping. Now once in a while I end up with a normal plastic bag, but that is put to use as the kitchen sort of garbage bag for the black on & know that black one is light enough to be lifted with the pinky & thumb of either hand. Same with the blue on for plastics, tins & such.

I have been discouraged by worn out clothing or shoes since I do not wear oxfords, like dack, Florsheim, & some other good ones for the place I deliver them to simply puts all of them in the garbage a the dump.

Have any of you noted that some younger women can make sort of caps or hats out of woren out clothing. I had some good climbing knickers, to slacks I would give to them, BUT the fad has sort of fadded off.
smitty

Postby guitarblues on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Patching things up or making something new out of something old can keep some people happy in terms of making their own clothing and keeping them creative.

You only need to find a community group that is big on recycling and sewing-clean free clothing and fabrics can still get some interest if you get the word out on free classifieds or connect with someone.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby smitty on Thu May 10, 2012 12:45 pm

A thing that I thought to be useful, were caps or hats made out of jeans.

I hoped I could obtain the address of one of those makers for I have on pair of wool mountain climbing knickers used enough to where my late mother had to patch up on the butt section, but the others had only been used once. Though have a cord pair of climbing knickers, but they show in being toren up & stitched, but still would be different.

Now if someone was set on older jeans YES I have quite a number of them other that past years just waiting to patch up the knee of one of my size. Just have to find the person to do the sewing.

Though think I know of a married woman, that does drapes to many other sewings.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Tue May 15, 2012 1:50 pm

The biannual Living Planet report is designed to call attention to the Earth's "invisible economy," said Emily McKenzie, the director of the WWF's Natural Capital Program. Natural resources — and the rate at which humans burn through them — rarely appear on policymakers' balance sheets, McKenzie said.

But humanity is essentially in debt to Mother Earth, conservationists find. As of 2008, the most recent year for which data is available, humans were outstripping Earth's biocapacity by 50 percent.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47421743/ns ... 7KYjFLBPKc

According to this, what we destroy in a year it takes 1.5 years for Mother Nature to restore. Somewhere in the future, whether near or far, she will shut down and run out. This reminds me of the movie "Day after tomorrow".
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:54 am

guitarblues, when it comes to me building up dark coloured garbage bags or blue ones for plastics, tins, excessive paper plus plastic containers I use for orange juice. These are all down in the basement & the basement is where I spend most of my time at the PC, TV, reloading, taking down to clean & prepare the guns for action.

I am lucky if the firm picking up the garbage bags in dark green or black to blue in papers, plastics, tins & such. Sometimes they will only pick up the 1/4 full garbage bage one & leave the two in blud that are very light. Never figured that one out to be honest with you.

Any of the above are not seeked upon by bears, coyotes or such. Not even dogs left out over the evening.

One day I could hear them comming so was standing in my drive-way with two Blue bags & this time they did not ignore them, but took them from my hands.
smitty

Postby fishandchips on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Earth Day is two days after Easter, on Easter Tuesday. Expect to see promotions for cleanup days prior to or after Easter.
Wouldn't hurt to collect some of the visible garbage in nearby parks, the tossed items off the streets or sidewalks (so many plastic bottles and coffee cups,etc.) or greenspace near wetlands. Mama and Papa birds won't like you near their young ones or the nests, so be careful. Since it's chilly cold and the ground is semi-soft, you might be able to bag up one or two bags of litter without sinking into mud. Gloves or small plastic bags over the hands are a good idea and sanitizer too. If you are feeling ambitious and using large garbage bags, figure out how to weight them down in the breezes or see if you have a wheeled cart that can be brought along.

Snow's not gone yet but there lots of litter showing its colours now. The stringy bits or fiddly litter can wait for warm spring days. There's too much to cleanup so go with the easy stuff. Large stuff might need someone to drive it to the dump or left at the curb for pickup-check your local rules.

Be careful around waterways-now is not the time to go on a waterbank--you'll likely fall in and search and rescue might not be able to fly to you.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Still exert caution around ditches/canals/water sources-it is muddy now that it's spring and snow has signalled its retreat from southerly areas in Canada. Water levels can be high and currents fast-not sure you would like to find out how swift your life can change if you fall in.

Doing your spring cleaning and have old cellphones/computers or tvs? Ads promoting e-waste collection days should be coming up fast like spring flowers. Check to see if a service group or municipal department have established a place for you to bring your electronic appliances for drop-off for safe disposal or recycling.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby dreamon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Smart meters are in the news again. This time in the US and some concerns about invasion of privacy.

The information gathered from smart meters includes unencrypted data that can, among other details, reveal when a homeowner is away from their residence for long periods of time. The electric wattage readings can even decipher what type of activities a customer is engaged in, such as watching TV, using a computer or even how long someone spends cooking.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/17/is ... latestnews

Two sides of the coin with this one -

It's a given that pikes in usage will go up when using the TV, computer, doing laundry or cooking. If it is true that it can read specifically what you are doing, that may become an issue of invasion of privacy for some.

Then I thought about the fact that TV/Internet providers basically have that same access, so why are they worried about the smart meters knowing this?

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

PreviousNext

Return to Green, White, and Blue