Climate change-real, not real, and for bu$ine$$

That's what we see from space. Let's try to keep it that way.

Re: Climate change-real, not real, and for bu$ine$$

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:08 am

Davos paves way for banking insurance levy
by Giles Broom
February 1, 2010 | 11:56
Networking in Davos comes to a close with the end of the 40th World Economic Forum annual meeting on Sunday. A tentative agreement on a new global banking insurance levy answers some of the questions over whether the forum actually impacts on global policy decisions, but the details of the scheme are unknown. More tangible commitments are made on humanitarian relief.
Reports say a new global banking insurance levy gained support from delegates at a meeting at the World Economic Forum on Saturday between bankers, finance ministries, regulators and central banks. The meeting included discussions which “haven't in a sense solved the issues,” but have “pushed them forward,” said Peter Sands, chief executive of British bank Standard Chartered, at a closing panel session.

French President, Nicolas Sarkozy helped set the agenda for this year’s forum with strong words for bankers at the opening session. Accompanying Sarkozy on the podium, Swiss president Doris Leuthard, who also heads the economics ministry, also criticised financial institutions’ response to the crisis.

The Swiss Bankers Association was not invited to the Saturday meeting, but several of its members attended, according to bankers’ spokesperson Jean Marc Felix.http://www.swisster.ch/news/business/davos-paves-way-banking-insurance-levy.html-0

And former US President Bill Clinton announced a joint initiative between the World Economic Forum, the Clinton Global Initiative and the UN to support Haiti’s long-term reconstruction.

Watch the initiative. I read in today's news that UN Secretary Ban has expanded Clinton's envoy position in regards to Haitian reconstruction.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:03 pm

I was very touchy on this "Save Water" thing in B.C. Canada for several yrs ago I had a bathtub & shower removed along with sliding glass doors that could break if I slipped (for at the time I was suffering through a broken right hip). The replacement was a fiberglass base part made in the Okanagan Valley area, while the ceiling to three walls of wood & paint was replaced with proper 6" tiles. VEry good piece of work for sure.

Chap doing the job, is my best friend as making changes in houses is normal to him along with building homes to modifying restaurants. He was amazed that there was NO mold to also no warped wood knowing I used the shower bit basically twice a day saying I must have really usee the towel to keep the inside DRY.

So I was confronted with a shower that simply had no pressure of water from it, like I mean it was amazing to be that weak no matter what we did.

So I was looking at a toilet that was going on the blink, leaking water & such so same chap put in one of the latest from China. I was very, vety questionable especially due to the shower YET this unit is outstanding & YES it uses less water as so demanded by the Provincial or Federal Govt. Guess there are some good things to look forward to.
smitty

Postby pysanky on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:49 am

'Climategate' scientists honest: report
But climate researchers at University of East Anglia weren't open enough, inquiry finds
Last Updated: Wednesday, July 7, 2010 | 10:29 AM ET
The Associated Press
An independent British report into the leak of hundreds of emails from one of the world's leading climate research centres has largely vindicated the scientists involved, a finding many in the field hope will calm the global uproar dubbed "Climategate."

An Ipsos MORI poll published in June suggested that 78 per cent of Britons believed that the world's climate was changing, compared with 91 per cent five years earlier. (Canadian Press)
The inquiry by former civil servant Muir Russell into the scandal at the climatic research unit of the University of East Anglia in Norwich, England, found there was no evidence of dishonesty or corruption in the more than 1,000 emails stolen and posted to the internet in late 2009.

But he did chide the scientists involved for failing to share their data with critics.http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/07/07/climategate-report-east-anglia.htm
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby smitty on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Last year was not the richest man being a chap from Mexico that simply outdid Bill Gates------at least Bill Gates puts his money to some sensible use.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Oh, the man was Carlos Slim Helu from Mexico. He has various business interests.

Bill Gates--well, he does support humanitarian efforts but I puzzle over how much pharmaceutical companies have sway over which medicines get shipped to other countries to help people. And then if the people have any chance of informed consent, understanding what's in the medicine and possible side effects.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:44 pm

A stunning photo of the mountains accompanies this article about melting glaciers in the Andes and mummified remains that have been revealed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/world/americas/16bolivia.html?ref=world
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:20 pm

I hope that citizens ask their politicians if the LED versions of 40W bulbs for ovens are ready yet for market. You see, gas stoves do have light bulbs inside the ovens and the bulbs are heatproof. If the city ban on bulbs is going to apply to all of them, appliance repair store staff are going to have a headache figuring out what to do to replace those bulbs with.

It's not like many light bulbs are made in Canada-why not? Have you checked out the light bulbs in your hardware store lately?

Consumers hoard light bulbs amid B.C. ban

CBC – Tue, 25 Jan 11:57 AM EST
Victoria residents are rushing to buy incandescent light bulbs, following a provincial ban intended to phase out certain wattages.

Amid dark days for the incandescent lamps, consumers in the B.C. capital are reportedly clearing shelves of the popular bulbs, even spending hundreds of dollars to hoard them.

"People have been kind of panicky" about the restrictions, a hardware salesperson told the Victoria Times-Colonist newspaper, adding that customers were still confused about which bulbs were being taken off the market.

The prohibition, which took effect Jan. 1, means retailers must sell off all remaining stock of 75-watt and 100-watt incandescent bulbs. Stores are not permitted to order more once supplies run out.Bulb ban

I bet that candle sales will jump up in response unless residents find some solar energy devices that offset the bulb replacement issue.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby rambles on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Animals across the world are fleeing global warming by heading north much faster than they were less than a decade ago, a new study says.

About 2,000 species examined are moving away from the equator at an average rate of more than 15 feet (5 metres) per day, about a mile per year, according to new research published Thursday in the journal Science which analyzed previous studies. Species are also moving up mountains to escape the heat, but more slowly, averaging about 4 feet a year.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/study-animals- ... 06594.html

They are sending a message and we need to pay attention. It may seem like a long time before they arrive but they are coming. Species unseen in the north will be a common sight and some will not be welcome, such as deadly spiders/snakes, maybe Anacondas will become the norm. That is a scary thought.
rambles

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:14 am

I was told that banana slugs exist in Alaska--they are as big as the fruit. That would prompt a strong response from me. Little slugs can unnerve me but I try to leave snails alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_slug

Back to the northward migration (do the animals south of the equator head to colder southerly areas as well?)--that would put more strain on freshwater sources and an emphasis to maintain wetlands, creeks and other waterways. Rain can be unpredictable.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 pm

The European Union wants airlines to submit fees for the carbon emissions fund, but China bans its airlines from paying any Euro at all. At risk-landing rights to EU airports over non-payment of the fees. This plot will be of much interest.

02/06/2012

Emissions Scheme Dispute
China Bans Airlines from Paying EU Carbon Tax

China said on Monday it was forbidding its airlines from joining a European Union carbon emissions scheme to protect the climate. The companies now face fines or may even be barred from landing at EU airports. The dispute comes as the EU is looking to China to help tackle the euro debt crisis.

The European Union scheme to charge airlines for carbon emissions has led to a dispute with China, which announced Monday that it was forbidding its airlines to pay the new fees.

The Civil Aviation Administration of China said in a statement on its website that the rules "contravene the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and international civil aviation regulations."

Since January 1, all airlines are required to buy certificates for the carbon dioxide they emit through landings and takeoffs in the European Union. Airlines that fail to comply face fines and may even be banned from landing at airports in the EU.

The China Air Transport Association (CATA) estimates that the EU scheme will cost Chinese airlines some $120 million in the first year alone, and that the amount could triple by 2020.

The dispute comes at a sensitive time for the EU, which is wooing China, a major holder of foreign reserves, to invest in bailout funds to help tackle the euro debt crisis. Chinese and EU leaders are due to hold a summit next week.http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,813544,00.html

In reply, it would be possible to imagine that China might similarly treat its airports as off-limits to EU origin airlines.

Frequent business travel for company and diplomatic staff is going to be more challenging if flights cannot land at scheduled stops. Never mind the tourists or the visiting friends and families that might be scrambling to see if they included cancellation insurance on their ticket purchases.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Green, White, and Blue