Climate change-real, not real, and for bu$ine$$

That's what we see from space. Let's try to keep it that way.

Re: Climate change-real, not real, and for bu$ine$$

Postby deja vu on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:44 am

Winter has come to the vast, northernmost reaches of Canada, the sparsely populated area surrounding the Arctic Circle historically characterized by severely cold weather. But these days refrigeration systems are needed to keep the ice cold at hockey arenas.

It has been too warm for December hockey in the Arctic, the latest sign that climate change is altering the environment and the way people live — especially in the far north, where the effects of rising temperatures are most pronounced. Nine of the 14 villages in Nunavik, a region in northernmost Quebec, have installed cooling systems at community arenas within the last five years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/05/sport ... c=rss&_r=0

The Great White North is in trouble so the rest of us should be paying attention. Climate change is not a myth, the reality is upon us.

I am more than a little surprised that the Government is admitting that we are warming up. Harper has been on a rampage muzzling Scientists across the country. He hates reality and if they wont tell his version of the truth he muzzles them.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:19 pm

pretzels wrote:964 pages for a clean energy bill-guess that will be federal but not end the state energy laws that are causing financial grief for citizens yet. The staff who actually compiled the bill must have pulled some late nights to get the volume of work done after each set of revisions.

What UN university on water--is it this one? http://www.unu.edu/ .edu is usually the suffix used in the US for post-secondary schools. http://update.unu.edu/archive/issue49_12.htm The site at McMaster University that was in CielOnTap's post.

When about to climb some of the mountains, we had this small bit of information on a climb some of the retired people migh have completed. They were more then willing to tell us some of the routes to also some photos.

What amazed us was that so many of the glaciers then were shrinking in sizem, though sometimes we use to use a few to cross on or a base camp. Still some yrs later on when I saw any photos of those mountains or was to see them again YES they were so much smaller then when I had stepped on one or saw in some prior years of climbing in that area.
smitty

Postby smitty on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:28 pm

When climbing with members of he Alpine Club of Canada I noted even on a hike to the base of a mountain & how fussy they were to not toss junk.

Always remember when the late Jake Smith, in his 60s, showed me hot his matches still live to be used were in one direction while those spent were aimed in the opposit direction. Believe me so many were fussy beyound the belief of so many fellow Canadains.

Even when on my rope, 2nd to the rope lst rope & so the Leader that Mr. Smith told me to drop him off at a portion of this mountain knowing when comming back he could be picked up on the way down. In other words he was feeling he was to old to go after this mountain & so one of three others on my rope.
smitty

Postby smitty on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Changing the subject a bit. We have been receiving more snow then I want to have the exercise to shovel off AGAIN.

It was sort of snowing or raining. So thought it out my Subaru Forester is an all wheel drive system with NEW proper snow tyres on them this year.

This was going toi be heavy snow again. So decided I would back our & come in again counting on the traction of the all wheel drive. THAT was the answer thank goodness. True I am at an intersection & when trucks with blades are around that intersection they leave a mess of extra snow on our entrances to hour driveways along with a lot of it as a mess at the intersection. So thankfully THERE is my answer.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm

I saw messy snow falling in Nanaimo, BC thanks to a Weather Network viewer's video.
Here in Southern Ontario, there's a meltoff slowly happening, a quick freeze tomorrow ,then Friday and Saturday we're back to above zero temperatures. Well, I'm not one to turn down a southerly wind willing to thaw some packed snow, so I broke up a pile of snow that had fallen from the roof this weekend. I was not keen to see a muddy patch develop, so the snow got tossed further down the hill where the sunshine likes to play.

Today, the big story about ice is in the North, where some trapped whales cannot get to open water. They are taking turns surfacing in the open space where they are. But it is ironic that there is no handy icebreaker nearby to make things right again. Also in the North, a rescue chopper crashed. So a father and son duo were waiting for another chopper to try to get them but the weather is like -55C or colder! In northern Quebec-
http://www.thestar.com/ajax/photoplayer/1312993
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Climate change - takes us from the ice in the north to the hot dangerous deserts of the world. Meet the Jatropha tree, it may be the tree that saves a desert and brings it to life.

http://thestar.blogs.com/worlddaily/201 ... drum-.html

Can planting trees in the desert help save earth?

A group of German scientists say so. They have come up with an environmentally-friendly method they say could mitigate the impact of climate change. Dubbed carbon farming, it means planting trees in desert on a large scale to capture carbon dioxide.

They say Jatropha can do it the best. Jatropha is a small tree resistant to aridity so it can be planted in hot and dry conditions.

Jatropha, though, has its critics. They point that the tree is highly toxic and can pollute the land it is grown on, even a desert.

This is the problem with such studies. There is always one that says no way, it's dangerous to all. So what do you do, I say flip a coin, and see which side the tree ends up on.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:41 am

Australia's summer of 2013 is allegedly due to climate change, given the number of records broken and the heat wave experienced.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/australias-record-2013-heat-virtually-impossible-without-climate-change-says-report/45212/
This new report, penned by the Climate Council of Australia, examined the extreme heat waves across Australia during 2013. A report from its predecessor, the (now scrapped) Australian Climate Commission, already labelled the 2012/2013 summer season as the 'Angry Summer', highlighting the 123 records that were broken in just 90 days. The Climate Council's new Quantifying the impact of climate change on extreme heat in Australia report now examines the entire year of 2013, and using 'ground-breaking scientific research' performed last year, it is able to actually quantify how much each broken temperature record or extreme heat wave during that year was influenced by climate change.

"The evidence on the link between climate change and extreme heat is stronger than ever, and in fact is overwhelming," the report says, going as far as to say that the 'record hot year of 2013 in Australia was virtually impossible without climate change."

No doubt, Australia has some scary fires, water shortages and dry conditions during the summer. Not to mention nature's creatures fleeing areas where flooding is prevalent. We've seen those spider webs giving a field a white web look due to the number of spiders that will move together.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby up-down on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:54 pm

A top Canadian meteorologist warns that municipalities aren't prepared to deal with the impacts of an increasingly volatile climate that can bring devastating floods one season and a drought the next.

In the last five years, Canadian cities have been buried in record-breaking snowfall, scorched by unprecedented wildfires, blasted by tornadoes, hurricanes and lightning strikes, limping from one natural disaster to the next as the bills for emergency repairs climb.

Yet a senior climatologist with Environment Canada says municipal officials continue to build infrastructure based on decades-old weather patterns that are no longer the norm, leading to potentially disastrous consequences. "You've got to keep pace with it and we haven't kept pace with it," David Phillips said in a recent interview.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/climate-c ... -1.3200332

I think most of general public are getting the message and mad that the government is selling out the environment and ignoring climage change for the almighty buck. Ignoring will not make it go away, and another problem is while the public may be getting the message they are not prepared for a disaster and surviving on their own if a disaster happens and the services are overwhelmed. If you do not have a good emergency supply to survive on your own, then the disaster that caused it will be the least of your problems.
Inside out, round & round, upside down. Which way am I going?
up-down
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby deja vu on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:32 am

'Freak' Iceland weather bomb sets up Arctic for extreme heat with temperatures at the North Pole expected to soar from around -30 to -35 Celsius on Tuesday, to near the freezing mark on Wednesday.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... o_news3%22

If this does not convince you, nothing will. About 32F in December in the Arctic says it all. The animals that live there are already showing the effects of the changes, and this will show how badly. What more
do the doubters need to realize it exists and we need to deal with it now.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Green, White, and Blue