Potcake Pups

That's what we see from space. Let's try to keep it that way.

Potcake Pups

Postby deja vu on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Elizabeth Sunshine was rushing to the airport in Newark, N.J. She had a date to meet her new baby in person for the very first time, and she was running late.

The baby’s couriers — a friendly couple from Connecticut — waited patiently, and when Sunshine arrived they handed her a small, squirmy, squishy black puppy named Wilma. Wilma’s journey had been anything but ordinary. Known as a “potcake dog,” she began her life without anyone to look after her on the streets and beaches of the Caicos Islands. Potcake Place, a dog-rescue organization based on the island of Providenciales, went to great lengths to connect Wilma with a good home in the United States, and also made arrangements for the vacationing tourists from Connecticut to fly Wilma all the way to her new owner.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38434562/ ... d_animals/

They may be tourist dependant islands but a few may be turned off knowing that this happens. Thank God this woman came up with the idea. The authorities should be finding a humane solution , but instead shoot /poison them and leave them to die. How do they sleep at night knowing they hurt an innocent creature? The babies wouldn't have been in this position if the authorites had taken the time to solve the problem instead of a cruel fast fix.

Hopefully now that the story is in the mainstream news, this woman will get a lot more help financially. Perhaps more tourists will play Santa for these cute little pups and deliver them to loving homes.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Potcake Pups

Postby smitty on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:48 pm

I wish the dog the best as it looks cute. Still I know of one family has a lovely Boxer, with normal flopped over ears & wants to have it eliminated. Said boxer if treated sensible will be a lovely dog for that is their way of life in not being vicious.

I wish I could have the Boxer, but I am a bachelor with no one else at my home to give the dog the love & care it needs as all dogs or cats need.
smitty

Postby smitty on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Have any of you seen the Russian Causican dogs? These are basically out to defend the owner, only they are massive with a maze of power.

I saw some fool that bought one for that VERY REASON & even with a lesh on it he could NOT stop the gigantic dog from pulling him down the street.

Good gosh that dog probably eats more food then he or his wife (that includes me as well) & for sure she had nothing to do with the caucasicn. On a m.c board where they love pets like dogs to sometimes a cat finally one was able to say FINALLY SOME ONE CAN OWN A WHITEY & that seemed to make sense.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Smitty, It looks like it is part bear and a lot heavier than what Wiki says. I thought it would match height and weight of a Newfoundlander but the Caucasian is the smaller breed. Hard to believe when you look at the 2 images below.

From Wiki:
Caucasian Shepherd Dogs are very strongly-boned, very muscular and even-tempered Molossers. The breed has two types: mountain and plain. Plain dogs have a shorter coat and appear taller as they are more lightly built. Mountain dog types have a heavier coat and are more muscularly built. Caucasian Shepherds have no maximum height. The minimum height for females is 64 centimetres (25 in), with a desirable height between 67 and 70 centimetres (26 and 28 in). They weigh at least 45 kilograms (99 lb). The minimum height for males is 68 centimetres (27 in), with a desirable height between 72 and 75 centimetres (28 and 30 in). Males weigh 50 kilograms (110 lb) and up.[1] Softness and vicious temperaments are considered serious faults for the breed.

Newfoundlands ('Newfs', 'Newfies') have webbed feet and a water-resistant coat.[2] Males weigh 60–70 kg (130–150 lb), and females 45–55 kg (100–120 lb), placing them in the "Giant" weight range. Some Newfoundland dogs have been known to weigh over 90 kg (200 lb). The largest Newfoundland on record weighed 120 kg (260 lbs) and measured over 6 feet from nose to tail, ranking it among the biggest Molossers. They may grow up to 22–28 inches tall at the shoulder.

Russian Caucasian:

Newfoundlander:

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Yes that Russian Caucasian dog is big, but my goodness it has such an amazing power in it.

I can just imagine myself having one & taking it for a walk, like down to the Post Office, as so many others do with their decent sized dogs, but also lap dogs, for they amougst the owners would probably panic for good reason.

I keep thing of that video of some chap that bought one for protection, but it was going after a car & him only 5'8" was simply being dragged even if he could get on his feet. So then was his wife the ideal person to take the dog or a walk?
smitty

Postby deja vu on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:02 pm

When I saw a picture of this one, the first thing I thought was it looks like a goofy newfie dog. Cute, but goofy.

It's a Barbet, a French Water dog. Apparently Napoleon had one at all times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbet_(dog)

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pysanky on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Dog's fur looks to have been braided then released. Or had a perm...
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby fishandchips on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:46 pm

Travelling visitors are helping dogs in distant lands to get to new homes in North America.
Around the world, animal-welfare groups are rescuing dogs from dire situations: poisonings in Turks and Caicos; shootings in Turkey; the meat trade in South Korea; overcrowded shelters in Thailand. But in most cases, plucking them from imminent peril isn't enough. Many cultures, such as those in Russia, Thailand and China, do not share North Americans' head-over-tail obsession with companion animals. Residents either let the dogs duke it out for survival in the urban wild or allow government officials to cram them into shelters with no release date. In countries with active adoptions, the ratio of stray dogs to available homes is out of whack.

"We adopt out over 500 dogs a year," said Jane Parker-Rauw, founder of Potcake Place, a shelter on Providenciales in Turks and Caicos. "We simply do not have the number of homes here wanting to adopt dogs, so most go off-island."

As a temporary solution, the organizations are exporting rescue dogs to North America. The groups have no shortage of animals to send or humans on the receiving end, but they need independent travelers to connect the two halves.

http://www.thespec.com/living-story/6993806-this-good-boy-doesn-t-need-a-home-just-help-getting-there/
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Return to Green, White, and Blue