Up Close With Mother Nature

That's what we see from space. Let's try to keep it that way.

Up Close With Mother Nature

Postby deja vu on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:24 pm

The beauty of Mother Nature just walked by my building and crossed over to the apartment buildings property behind me. I have seen wildlife in the city before but usually a block away. This time it was just feet away. I was taking the garbage out when 2 full grown White Tail bucks walked on by without a care in the world. I kept my distance until they passed and it was safe to continue. They are magnificent creatures and a treat to see, but it's also disturbing that they have to enter the city looking for food because we are moving in on their territory.

Sadly, this isn't my backyard:

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Up Close With Mother Nature

Postby Speak-Ez on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Now wait just one minute. Maybe they were in town for a special meeting. A trip to the mall for some special gear they need. Maybe they wanted to go to the library and check out some information about you humans.

I can understand that you didn't ask them. Probably you'll assume they don't speak any kind of human talk, but be careful there. What with high tech equipment available they might have some device for communication.

Could be they just wanted to have a look around and see how you humans live. Get away from it all for a bit. Bet the forest can get to be a drag once in awhile.

On the other hand, you might be right. How about a 50/50 split on your idea or one of mine?

Next time flip them a card with the SPZ URL on it and tell them to join. Not many websites have a member like that, I'll bet you.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:09 pm

A lovely looking four pointer. That is when you know they are in their prime. Lovely looking deer I have to agree.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Speak-Ez, I will go 50/50 on this. A doe or buck as a member would give us an insiders view of the Animal Kingdom.

I did say a few words quietly and calmly and they didn't see me as a threat so my one sided chat worked. They just looked a couple of times at the person holding a bag of garbage talking to them in an empty parking lot. Probably thought there is another nutty human trying to chat with us. If I had been at the bin when they walked by the distance would have been inches and not feet. I'm glad I had that few feet between us.

Possibly. They were certainly taking their time checking every thing out, and enjoyed the flowers and grass of the building behind me. They have no fear of humans. I'm just glad it wasn't a cougar or bear. They have been caught in the outskirts of the city. One of them shows up and I will dive in the dumpster if I have no where else to hide.

I'm still waiting for a moose invasion. That would definately be a sight to see in this city.

Smitty, pictures are nice but to see the real deal up close and personal is a rare treat.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 pm

Nice cool reaction to have had under the chance encounter, deja vu! I'd be startled or doing a quick "byebye" retreat.

I was walking along a road where I have had seen wildlife before and nothing but a squirrel ran out during the afternoon rush hour traffic.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 pm

I remember back in 1955 or 56 a female moose was walking down the main street, sort of looking around & really not liking what it had seen.

I know it had wandered off from the Vermilion lakes around 5-6 miles. Why none of us could figure out.

They do not have the beauty of a deer, for they are full of joints. Also I think when doing my work I would see this same gal along with a young 'un so would would have a large carrotr or apple for the mother as the young 'un was not allowed close to the fence that lead into Banff from the east side.
smitty

Postby smitty on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:27 pm

There has been a most interesting on Chanel 10 at 8:00pm Pacific time, called Hope for Wildlife.

It was interesting when all was finished along with the vet doctors & helpers.

So I though I had lost a good program for Hope tended to take on any young bird, owl, White tail deer, squirels, bald head eagles, owls, song birds, to you name it.

Last evening it was on AGAIN thank you. Something I did not realize that Hope herself had lung to one cancer & was going to have to take a bit of time after he operation before she could take over again.

The many Vets doctors, that had been teaching her on things like broken wing, broken legs to you name it & the start of her volunteers. Also this woman simply does not know what is to much, but she is operating a place for dogs & cats, especially Police dogs that need any attention.

The feeding of various small wild life animals was not enough food into them & drown them. What cought my attention of one young owl that did not want to receive any food from a stick till she obtained an owl in cardboard & through the beak area was the stick holding food for the owl.
smitty

Postby manga2read on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 pm

That puppet model of adult is needed for some young to connect with "their" kind of species. If it does not sound or look like Momma or Poppa, then little owl is not thinking it's food being served.

Owl might be surprised to see no sticks in adulthood offering up tasty bits...
a word with you
manga2read

Postby smitty on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Also from four to six deer would bed down in our back yard knowing the coyotes would not bother them since this home has humans in it.

Though between this Wolverine front Street & the down road from the Banff National Park was often the gathering of 40 or more elk of many ages & it was something to watch as younger ones took on older ones to loose in a sort of learning, but polite way.

We had a Boxer dog, that felt he was the same as any deer, elk or such so we had to watch out to keep him away from them. Same when a female coyote put on her charm & he wanted to meet his new friend, not realizeing a number of males would be ready to tear him apart.
smitty

Postby smitty on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Well manga2read, I thing there is a difference from a human young thing or an animal or bird sort of thing. The owl took the food all the time & most other young animals took the food in many ways especially the bird world where they had to be SURE they were not drowning the little animal & so just enough.

I went to "Hope for Wildlife" & it was not on. I hope to gosh that Hope herself is through all the suffering from the opeartion of cancer to he lung. For if you every get to watch that programs not only is it amazing to watch with such a varity, but Hope, the vet doctors to all the volunteer helpers.

They have one animal that was injured & have used the same fluid to machinery to read into its body like a woman can now. Only this one is so hairy & still a bit to young though the doctor as tried to see it its nipples will feed any food/milk when the babies arrive.
smitty

Next

Return to Green, White, and Blue