Don't Feed The Squirrels

That's what we see from space. Let's try to keep it that way.

Don't Feed The Squirrels

Postby deja vu on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Esquimalt will soon have a new bylaw on the books that takes direct aim at the feeding of grey squirrels. The bylaw will prohibit the feeding of squirrels or deer or setting up feeding stations for them.

"We recognize that these are difficult things to enforce, but the province gave us the go ahead to be able to have this bylaw," Mayor Barb Desjardins said.

http://www.timescolonist.com/technology ... story.html

FYI: Esquimalt is a suburb of Victoria, BC, Canada.

"The difficulty is, how do you enforce it? Having the feeding station and being able to connect someone to it. And . . . we can't enforce a bylaw against feeding a red squirrel [which is indigenous] but we can against a grey squirrel.

For hire, someone who can make sure only red squirrels visit the feeders? Another totally stupid idea to add to other stupid ideas on the books.

The squirrels have made themselves quite at home. One woman complained that, on at least three occasions, squirrels or rats had got into her attic.

Guess she doesn't watch Mike Holmes. Try plugging the holes so they don't get in. Not the animals fault if your not going to plug the doors that they use. Easy to fix if she truly wanted to get rid of them. A bylaw isn't going to do the trick, they will keep coming around as long as the attic door is open.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Don't Feed The Squirrels

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:05 pm

This is odd, because I thought it would be a law they'd want to pass to protect the squirrels. When I was a youngster we used to go hunting squirrels and I seem to remember there was a stew made with squirrel meat and that stew was very tasty.

Seems to me the feeders can be used as traps and then it's to the pot time for Mr. Grey or Red. I don't remember colour being any indication that Mr. Squirrel would be any less tasty.

In fact, now that this is jogging my memory, I seem to remember some city or town I lived in where there was a bounty on squirrels, because there were too many of them. City or town officials would actually pay money to have them turned into a nice, tasty meals. That is, the squirrels being turned into food, not the city or town officials.

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:04 am

Only the native varieties are protected and that is not saying much. Some will now take it upon themselves to declare open season on grey squirrels and it wont be long before a person or someones pet is caught in the crossfire. It's not the squirrels fault they are getting into peoples houses, it's the homeowners responsibility to animal proof their house.

I grew up on game meat and never had squirrel. I hear it tastes like chicken, and would give it a try, BUT I wouldn't want to skin one to make the stew. I don't think I could do it.

I just took a peek and there are plenty of recipes for Squirrel Stew. I would probably just make beef stew and switch the meat for squirrel.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Mind you more up to date of the time, now many towns or cities are going to thin down the numer of Mule Deer. It is a bit frightening when driving home, from a friends place, that so often there is a deer simply staring at my car lights.

Fact is they are even going to say ILLEDGAL to feed deer from their homes as so many do.

I think the firm that has the contract will bet $350.00 for each deer that is dropped & the meet goes to different food stores for the people short of money for food. THAT is going to be a lot of dressing & one has to wonder what happens, to the anglers, bones, skin & all for those dropping the deer cannot leave such a mess.

Some years ago I was hauled out of our sport shop to drop certain elk for simply a maze of them & they were running out of feeding plces. Two chaps were to dress the elk, the meat to the fur, antlers & such went to the indians.

I had to request ANOTHER two or more,that would do the dressing for I was dropping each given elk with a shot no farther then 50 yds as they were so accustom to being safe in the Banff Park.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:02 pm

Unless that deer meat is dressed in a commercial kitchen, I foresee red tape preventing that meat from getting anywhere near the public. The usual rule of taking home venison from road kill (recent) after calling in the death of the creature allows for home or private consumption.

Regular meat gets inspected. Roadside meat find depends on the venison dresser's ability to visually discern if the dead creature is safe for eating. That would not be valid for publicly consumed meat-public health would have a field day. Then there is the matter of storing the meat and as you pointed out, the waste or leftover parts--their disposal.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Sort reminds my on my neighbor just at the back of my fence. I know it is interesting to see the quick movements of grey squirrels also their flying from one spot to another,

A few yrs ago their teener & a friend had this Chinese single shot pellet gun, which is WRONG & against the laws of guns. Yes I know exactly what the make & such was like.

I stepped out & pointed this out to them. It landed in one ear & went out the other. I knew they were going to continue SO told them of an incient in the USA of where the parents had taken away the beebee gun, but the lad found it.

Unfortunately a 7 yr old girl was on the way back home from school & he shot one into her eye which ended in her death.

So one was smart mouth enough to say "you can shoot bee bees at my arse & it would have no effect".

Still dead ears so I pointed out I was the President of the said gun shop & we know ALL THE RULES AND REGULATIONS-----REASON I WAS TELLING THEM NO PELLET GUN OUTDOORS though they claimed it was a bee bee gun.

The parents were away on holidays & guess what they were shooting at --the squirrels or any birds. They continued on with tagets on the gate & such. FINALLY I guess that was then end of that.

Next summer the mother gave me a dirty look in saying "I wonder where the squrrels are" now probably feeling I had shot said squireels. Though the remaining ones came back to their old homes.

Wife is probably an anti-gun person NOT realizing I slowed her son down to also how strict we are on safety to rules & regulations in Federal to Provincal laws. The husband, being a lawyer, looked up my standing in f/arms to our gun club with the best of safety.
smitty

Postby keychain on Fri May 04, 2012 7:24 pm

A ground squirrel trapped at a popular campground in southern California has tested positive for plague.

According to health officials, the rodent was tested during routine monitoring at the Cedar Grove Campground on Palomar Mountain, 75 miles (120km) northeast of San Diego.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/05/0 ... latestnews

Good reason not to go near them. They are cute, but I never considered that the fuzzy cuties might carry the plague. Rabies would be at the top of the list for most people. Not sure that the plague would even make the list.
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

Postby smitty on Sat May 05, 2012 1:24 pm

What tasted like chicken was a rabbit, my grandmother dropped with a round from her single shot .22 rifle.

Did not know the one about squirrels.

The elimination of the Muel Deer is still the big thing & no one has been stopped from feeding them.

I have a married couple, I know well, & no matter what they did the deer would mess up their work in flowers so they built a wall of cement, in a sort of Mexican appearance. That has allowed them to have all the flowers they want.

I had to drop a number of the deers in one of my orchards as none of the other orchardists would pitch in on past of the cost of a fence even further off.

The problem was the Conservation People did not know much about the deer as one said to put Blood & Bone fertilizer in their trecks into my orchard & that I knew was usless.

This chap said that the deer had to be dressed & hauled to my road for them to pick up. Also to leave the deer's guts in their tracks only that was WRONG AGAIN.

I had dropped some others, & a friend knew chap that had a dog kennel so all I had to do was phone one & they would be down to pick up the deer completly.

One may not realize that so many of the deer like to nibble on the new growth of he fruit trees limbs to also nibble on the blossoms, to some more adult ones used some of the fruit trees to get rid of the velvet on their antlers, but THAT meant another totalled fruit tree around 5 or 7 yrs old.

I stayed in a one man mountain tent & once the deer were around me I would come out to make the numberous kills & YES I dropped all with one shot.

Correction I had to trail one, that was wounded for an hour then dropped it with another shot.

I started off with a Lee Enfield Mk V rifle of 303 British, to change to a Winchster Lever action that allowed me to get off a 2nd shot as the deer were going boing to boing in the air. Yet U an bit one that hunts. Basically a target shooter & produced my own reloads.
smitty

Postby burnt fare on Sat May 05, 2012 9:27 pm

The story about the next door neighbour who alluded that you had something to do with squirrels and not her precious offspring-how fast would she have stormed off if you had a video of the chat with the boys or a photo of them using said pellet gun? Seems that the spouse knew more about your knowledge of guns & rules than his wife.

That is dangerous--young men with an instrument that can kill, on their own in the house and no supervising adults around. Got to wonder how the pellet gun was stored too. Imagine if police had been involved-the one boy's father would have a hard time living down his kin's actions in legal circles>>parents would be seen as not all there in safety and responsibility.

Re: anti-feeding of wildlife laws--many towns and cities, depending on what creature is seen as a menace, put bylaws into effect. Despite no feeding of pigeons rules, some residents might have neighbours encouraging the birds with feeders and the birds end up being more present than others would like to the extent that metabolic functions stain fencing, grass and other things in line of said functions. Coyotes seem to get attention every so often; deer too. With surveys building into formerly wild lands or natural environments, the creatures seem to adapt or get really close to their new neighbours. Hey, no dens or trees? Those shiny new houses have all-weather attics for denning with the young ones.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby deja vu on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Rhet-or-Ric

When I was a youngster we used to go hunting squirrels and I seem to remember there was a stew made with squirrel meat and that stew was very tasty.

This man's neighbours wont think so. He wasn't thinking when he brought out a propane torch on an apartment balcony to prepare the squirrel for cooking. Now he and his neighbours are homeless. Thankfully the broken toe was the only injury.
I wonder if they can sue him for the damages.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... lding-fire

Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.

Fire Chief Jim Kohsel tells MLive.com that the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County’s Holland Township when the fire broke out Wednesday. Flames spread to the roof. Kohsel says eight apartments are destroyed and others damaged.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Green, White, and Blue