Rat attack: Mosman ready for rodent invasion

That's what we see from space. Let's try to keep it that way.

Rat attack: Mosman ready for rodent invasion

Postby deja vu on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:09 pm

IT IS going to be rat versus rat in the looming battle for Mosman.

In what may be a world first, scientists are planning to release native bush rats into the Sydney
suburb in an attempt to force out vermin black rats. If successful, it could be the opening shot in
a war to drive the pests out of suburbs across the city.

Black rats, unlike the more benign native rodents, invade houses, chew on wiring, carry diseases
that can spread to humans and wildlife, and climb trees to devour eggs of native birds.

They are thought to have invaded Sydney with the First Fleet, Grainne Cleary, a Taronga Zoo
ecological researcher, said yesterday.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/mosman-ready-for-rat-invasion/2008/12/03/1228257139088.html

A reality show in the making: Rat vs Rat
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rat attack: Mosman ready for rodent invasion

Postby fishandchips on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:06 pm

Much prefer cats myself. Where exactly are the black rats going to move to? Dinner for larger animals?
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:37 pm

I am to assume the Bush Rats will do their killing of the Black Rats & then hike it off to the bush again? Probably be more Black rats coming from ships to be at the many ports which might give reason for the Bush Rats to hang around. Should be interesting as to the final outcome.

I agree with FishnChips that I prefer cats, but if they catch onto going after mice then they are great, but rats are simply to large.

On my farm we had a mice invasion due to sawdust, for heating, was poured in through one basement window & in came the mice. Tried to get this cat interested in going after mice, but not interested no matter what. Well for a few years, then he really took to them to sound out by the door that he had this mouse & so we said "Thank you Peter" & off he hiked to eat his kill all bar the one little part which i think was the kidney or something.

Thing is that cat loved to catch mice like you would not believe & no he did not take on any weight.
smitty

Postby fishandchips on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:59 pm

A true mouseketeer, your cat of yore! So, the cat wanted to be thanked for his activity. Clever cat. At least he did not keep dropping them at the door to startle anyone.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:10 pm

True FishnChips, for my mother summed it up being a male cat he had it in him that he had to bring home food & that was what he was doing, but receiving same sounds from any of us humans was enough to go off & eat it himself. He had done his duty!!!!
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:26 pm

When I was a young child, I was fond of the kitten unexpectedly given to us. A relative just gave it us without clearing it with the folks. I don't recall that the later young cat had a fancy for mousing. Then she was caught eating thistles and bye-bye kitty (the folks took her away).

But a visiting cat, someone's cast out cat that slept in a neighbour's stable, did sometimes leave a mouse at the back step.
The cat, which my brother and I initially chased about one evening around the garden, became comfy sleeping atop a birdhouse in a backyard maple during the warmer weather. He was accepting of leftovers and got quite plump after some months. He was a scrawny thing when he first came along. A tabby, we called him "Patches."
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:16 pm

When you typed "-- kitten unexpectedly given to us.---" is often how people get rid of thier kittens, to in our area thopugh it is simpler to release a few of them into some of the orchards, farming areas, parks to some of the roads into the hills or mountains.

Funny thing is in the city of Kelowna, just 40 klicks from my home, people had rabbits purchased forhave or their children to injoy. Thing is a male plus a female & in no time one has a number of bunnies to even more bunnies. So to get ride of the rabbits to the bunnies some of the city folk were releasing them into the farming most farming to city parks & such.

Downfall is the city if Kelowna is now flooded with rabbits & more & more to more are popping up & no one knows how to get rid of the cute little bunnies to the produceers being the rabbits. Yes many plans to so many people going against what others have on mind or have started & all being paid for by the city tax payers. Obviously said plan is not working. Possibly the winter weather will be the answer IF people do not take them in for the season then release them later on in the Spring & start it all over again.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:25 pm

If natural predators don't make a winter feast of the rabbits, then a rabbit cull may be required. Rabbit stew or roast rabbit could help some individuals get food for the season too.

I just remembered something about the community in British Columbia you referred to: I understand that seniors like to move there but there is not enough healthcare in that area. All it would take would be enough seniors surprised by rabbits in their paths and subsequent falls to occur before outrage prompts municipal officials to do something.

I would think that the animal authority would require pet shops to get the rabbits fixed so no bunny litters are created, considering how numerous the litters can be.

Or the falcons and foxes take care of the population.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:15 pm

You are right that many seniors like to move into the Okanagan Valley from south in Osoyoos up to Vernon & they will often settle in some places to the East & West of the OK Valley for the weather is a bit better then in other parts of Canada.

True we are lacking health care of where the three major cities of Penticton, Kelowna, & Vernon are the only hospicals with a lot missing in Penticton I will agree. If I am injured or need to be operated on then it is to Penticton Hospital while our small but younger hospital is only used for eye operations to some lab work & X-rays. If more serious then what Penticton can handle it is decided if that can be carried out in Kelowna or possibly must be doen in Vancouver.

The same to towns like Hedley, Princeton, Keremeos & such that are not that close to Penticton, but it is Penticton they must go to or where ever the doctors decide there. I am sure that I missed some like OK Falls & others. Basically small towns sort of saddled between some mountains or patched on a mountain side to some being down by a major lake or two for Okanagen Valley does indicate possible lakes.

Yes when you mention some one in retired age tripping & falling----yes we do run into brittle bones. Myself being one when coming off a ladder at the roof of the house in Dec 2 '89 (correcting some deal Xmas light bulbs) to break the left hip on the concrete of the driveway, to be walking to the post ofice to slip on black ice in Nov 29th '07 to bust the left hip---no need of rabbits to take them down in many of the small towns. !!!!!!!!!!!!
smitty

Postby jemes84 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:47 am

Hello Guys,

One region that has been tormented by monster rodents lately is the UK, and these have turned out to be very enormous without a doubt. One report from April 2016 was made by vermin controller Lord Dean Burr, who professes to have run over a wandering pack of 6 rodents estimating an expected 2 feet long by and large amid a normal investigation in the luxurious lodging bequest of Tooting Lord, London. They were by a long shot the greatest rodents Burr had ever found in his 15 years in the killing business, and it was conjectured that they had conceivably gotten so huge by savagely tearing apart littler rodents. All endeavors to trap them have bombed, as they are evidently essentially too expansive to possibly be influenced by such unfortunate measures. Burr said of the colossal rodents he discovered frequenting the domain.
jemes84

Return to Green, White, and Blue