Serving up tennis news

Serving up tennis news

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:20 pm

All-Croatian final set for Zagreb Indoors
The Associated Press
Published: February 7, 2009

ZAGREB, Croatia: Mario Ancic saved three match points to beat Jan Hernych 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-6 (9) and set up an all-Croatian final with Marin Cilic at the Zagreb Indoors on Saturday.

It will be the first homegrown final since the tournament started in 2006.

"I think that's just fantastic," Ancic said to strong applause from the home crowd.

It will be the first matchup between them on Sunday.

Second-seeded Cilic beat Viktor Troicki of Serbia 6-2, 7-5, then seventh-seeded Ancic need more than three hours to defeat Hernych, of the Czech Republic. Zagreb Indoors

Tennis can make for a suspenseful spectator sport. No envying the court players when they have to play under a hot sun in their outdoor tournaments, however.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Serving up tennis news

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:49 pm

IN THE ARENA
The politics of Davis Cup security: How far is too far?
By Christopher Clarey
Published: March 5, 2009

It is an untimely week to argue that security at sports events should not be extreme. The bus carrying Sri Lanka's cricket team to a test match in Lahore, Pakistan, was attacked by gunmen this week, leaving six police officers dead and seven players and an assistant coach wounded.

But the consensus in the tennis world continues to be that the local authorities in Malmo, Sweden, went too far by ordering that the Davis Cup matches between Sweden and Israel this weekend be played without the benefit of fans.

The three-day event - one of eight first-round ties in the World Group - will begin Friday in a stadium where entry will be restricted to the teams, members of the media, a few hardy sponsors and accredited personnel, including hundreds of police officers.

The decision to close the doors and ticket booths to the paying public was made Feb. 17 after Israel's war in Gaza. With thousands of protesters planning to march in Malmo and concern about possible incidents inside the 4,000-seat Baltic Arena, the ostensible reason for the spectator ban was security. But the vote by the recreational committee of Malmo's City Council was only 5-4 in favor of the move and split along party lines, with the leftist majority that runs Malmo carrying the decision.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/03/05/sports/ARENA.php

The sponsors probably did not enjoy the prospect of lost sales. But what would have been a better alternative?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:49 pm

Wimbledon set for late finishes

Wimbledon could see play continue until as late as 2200 BST and beyond this year with the introduction of a roof over Centre Court.

After two years of construction work, the roof will be available for use at the Championships for the first time when the tournament begins on 22 June.

Floodlights have been fitted, meaning bad light will no longer be a factor. The All England Club will schedule matches in the same manner as 2008, but with no cut-off time for play to end. "We could finish after 10 o'clock in the evening," said club chairman Tim Phillips.

"The scheduling will still be the same as an outdoor day-time event, but there is no absolute cut-off time."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8010191.stm

Its about time they did this. Should make it a lot more interesting now that they can finish the match. Also no more dead air time filled by the announcers struggling for anything to talk about during a rain delay.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Wed May 27, 2009 3:59 pm

I like to watch tennis, but my downfall is I do not know the rules in general. I know the answer is to try your hand at tennis & you will learn. Now football has grown onto some of us for we had home teams though in my case I was one of the individual guards at the home game so got to see it all, bar times I had to stop some onlooker from throwing an empty contain of hard liquor as the opposit team was going in for a break or end ond of the game.

Hockey is easy to understand for I use to play it in my younger years, to same with golf as I made some pocket money in being a caddie at some of the more rich golf courses AND in the spare time I was often working with a 9 iron with others to sometimes playing with my parents or the Pro that felt if I would practice more & golf for action I could become a decent Jr. golf player only I was more interested in m/cs not in just riding them, but competing them in basically dirt competition.

Other sport like Judo, to Amateur Wrestling I learned as a competitor myself.

Inside of me I often laugh at the hockey fans that have never played hockey in their life, baseball, football or soccar. Though admit I have never played in soccar & studied the rules & regulations to get an understanding.

No at 78+ yrs of age with ex-broken hips, damaged knees, to broken ankles to legs to hand & fingers themselves well not playing the game is best for me. For some reason I understand h/guns thanks to the Cdn Army cadets during WWII to Reserve Forces after WWII.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed May 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Whether a boon or a hassle, I had the same physical education teacher for two elementary grades as my homeroom teacher. He did not let us get out of sports and often tried to get us to play at lunchtime intermural games. That is where European handball was useful one year, as was floor hockey.

Soccer was played and I preferred to be goalkeeper-less running around.

Road tennis-a younger neighbour was a fan of tennis, so he was good at scorekeeping for us, in between us yelling "car" when one came into view or hearing (late 1970s and early 1980s). Now the road is too busy with speeders going over 40kph along with fire pumper trucks scooting down the road to get to one highway or other, that only wheeled activities happen on the road (skateboarding, rollerblading, cycling).
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Have to admit that I did learn a bit about soccar for the captain of the elemanty school rounded some of us up & stated to teach us, something like he did in Curling & though I was not a good soccar player, I continued on with curling & in high school our sought out a school team that did well. This was the day of straw brooms & I would cut my broom down in length & swept like mad. The poor prinicipla of the high school was a bit shocked as my BLISTERS turned into a bleeding mess, but I was a good third to also play as a spare in the mens teams to actlually become a 2nd or third a bit later on.

So you learn a LOT when you participate in the sports you might now watch. Like each time they have a curling match be it men or women I watch closely & like hockey I can see how some of the teams go at things differently then in my time & I feel at home to actually read what they have in mind for various rocks. Like no longer is the person throwing the rock forced to lift the rock when about to throw & are allowed to slide much farther forward along with so many differences in the teams way of playing the game.
smitty

Postby rocks on Sun May 31, 2009 11:54 am

PARIS - Rafael Nadal’s unbeaten run at the French Open is over.

The four-time defending champion lost to Robin Soderling of Sweden 6-2, 6-7 (2), 6-4, 7-6 (2) Sunday in the fourth round, ending his record 31-match winning streak at Roland Garros. Soderling, seeded 23rd at this year’s tournament, ran Nadal ragged on center court with his hard serve and booming forehand.

Nadal has dominated the French Open since his first match on the red clay at Roland Garros. In his 31 previous matches, he had lost only seven sets — the last one coming against Roger Federer in the 2007 final.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31027804/
Thinking outside of the BOX - what BOX?
rocks

Postby dreamon on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:53 am

Roger Federer beat Robin Soderling in straight sets to win his first French Open and equal Pete Sampras's record of 14 Grand Slam titles.

World number two Federer becomes only the sixth man to have won each of the four Grand Slam tournaments. The 27-year-old Swiss produced a near-faultless display in testing conditions to dominate Sweden's Soderling, a shock finalist, from start to finish.

He wrapped up a 6-1 7-6 (7-1) 6-4 victory in one hour and 55 minutes. A tearful Federer joins joins Fred Perry, Don Budge, Roy Emerson, Rod Laver and Andre Agassi as the only men to have won all four Grand Slam titles and was presented the Coupe des Mousquetaires by Agassi.

Federer's triumph will go some way to silencing those who claimed his career was on the slide amid the rise of world number one Rafael Nadal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8087015.stm

Next stop: Wimbledon runs from June 22 - July 5th. The big question surrounding Wimbledon: Will Nadels knee injury keep him from defending his title.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:28 pm

June 26, 2009

Roger Federer through to fourth round
Refresh the page for latest scores, news and results from day five of the Championships
Tom Dart
Novak Djokovic, the fourth seed, is now facing Mardy Fish on Centre Court.

Roger Federer is safely through to the second week after beating Philipp Kohlschreiber, of Germany, in four sets. Among other top seeds, Serena Williams, Robin Soderling, Fernando Verdasco and Elena Dementieva are through.

There may only be one Brit left in the singles, but there is home-grown interest this afternoon in the doubles. Laura Robson and Georgie Stoop are out but Jamie Delgado and Jonathan Marray have beaten the thirteenth seeds.

7.20pm: We were all expecting to see Fish get a battering having lost the second set, but he is holding on admirably in this third set and has not had his chips just yet. 3-3 with serve. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6583027.ece
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:52 pm

American Teenager Upsets Jankovic
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY
Published: June 27, 2009
WIMBLEDON, England — One shot from losing in the first round of qualifying, Melanie Oudin will now be playing in the second week at her first Wimbledon.

Melanie Oudin hustled her way to a 6-7 (8-10), 7-5, 6-2 victory over sixth-seeded Jelena Jankovic. More Photos »

It has been a surprising, thrilling run for Oudin, a determined 17-year-old from Marietta, Ga., who still has many more friends and acquaintances in the junior ranks than in the main draw of the main event.

But Oudin’s junior days are behind her now, as she proved beyond a reasonable doubt on Saturday by thinking and hustling her way to a 6-7 (8), 7-5, 6-2 victory over sixth-seeded Jelena Jankovic of Serbia, who was ranked No. 1 in the world earlier this year. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/sports/tennis/28wimbledon.html?ref=sports
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Sports