Animal World Tales

That's what we see from space. Let's try to keep it that way.
fishandchips

Re: Animal World Tales

Post by fishandchips » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:47 pm

I would have contacted a mongoose wrangler-the mongoose would let snakes know who's on board! But what if the escapee snakes are in the cargo area at the airport on the loose? I mean, was there a sticker on the foam box as to when the snakes were all accounted for prior to placing the box on the plane?
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:37 pm

April 16, 2009

Pictures of the Day

Falling out with mum: a baby kangaroo named Tijana peers from her incubator in Belgrade zoo. Her mother ran away after being scared by an emu and Tijana fell out of her pouch. Now the baby must stay in the incubator, where the temperature remains a constant 35 degrees C. She is fed every two hours with a special milk from the US and Germany. The Australian embassy in Serbia is also expected to contribute to supplies.

(Ivan Milutinovic/Reuters)

Poor creature! Mom, come back!
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Only $1M of Leona Helmsley estate going to dogs
Apr 21, 2009 01:56 PM

The Associated Press

NEW YORK–Trustees of real estate baroness Leona Helmsley's estate say they're giving $136 million (U.S.) to charity – with just $1 million going to the dogs.

Helmsley's estate announced its first round of charitable grants on Tuesday. The largest, $40 million, goes to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. The majority goes to New York City hospitals and other health care systems across the country. http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/621907
80s pop music fan here!

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Believe it was in a zoo in Calgary Alberta (well Alberta anyway) that the zoo owners had these four zebras & let in a heavy built water buffalo. All seemed well as it was good acerage for both types & the water buffalo kept to its self & corner. Thing is the zebras-------well first one died within the first day & by 2nd day the other three also died.

Seems it was stress on the zebras when the Water Buffalo though it was not demanding their terrain or bothering them, but simply appearance of the water buffalo itself. Guess even animals have STRESS that can take them to their death.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Death of 4 zebras was freak accident: zoo manager
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 | 2:16 PM PT CBC News
The Greater Vancouver Zoo is calling the sudden death of four zebras two months ago a freak accident nobody could have predicted or prevented.

The zebras died within days of each other after two Cape buffalo were added to their enclosure, officials said.

The general manager of the privately-run zoo, Jamie Dorgan, said zebras and Cape buffalo naturally coexist in the wild and the zebra's panicked reaction was unpredictable.

"It was one of those freak type of situations unfortunately. After the fact, discussing with other zoo experts and people, hardly anyone believes things went the way they went. It was totally unexpected and I don't think we could repeat it if we wanted to," Dorgan said.http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... eaths.html

The story that goes with Smitty's post about zebra deaths after water buffalo (two of them!) were moved into their enclosure.
80s pop music fan here!

fishandchips

Post by fishandchips » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Little kangaroo got some Australian milk! Notice that the zoo staff are not hiding their humanness in fake kangaroo apparel but the creature is in a pouch, to simulate being in her mother's pouch. No idea if Mama Roo was found yet.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Thank you for making the correction on the four Zebras, for I had them even in the wrong Province & wrong Cape Buffalo of two & not just one in a Water Buffalo.

Good to have someone willing to step in & make the sensible corrections, for then things are CORRECT. Though I honestly felt it was Alberta to also water buffalo of just one.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:19 pm

Shark dumped on Australian paper's doorstep
Thu Apr 23, 12:13 PM

SYDNEY (AFP) - A live shark was found dumped on the doorstep of a newspaper's office in a coastal town in southeast Australia, police said Thursday.

A passer-by alerted police in Warrnambool, Victoria, shortly after midnight that a shark was lying at the front door of the town's Standard newspaper.

"We arrived and poured some water on it just to see if it was still breathing and it kicked around for a little while," said Constable Jarrod Dwyer, who said the shark was about 70 centimetres (two feet four inches) long. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090423/o ... ia_offbeat

It could have been an article portraying someone in a poor light that prompted the shark drop-off. Still, if the shark has poisonous fins, the perpetrator had to have known what s/he was doing.
80s pop music fan here!

mousepad

Post by mousepad » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:32 pm

Scientists confirm: Birds got rhythm!
Study indicates parrots have a brain to follow musical beat; chimps may not

They wouldn’t blow away the competition on “Dancing with the Stars,” but it turns out that some birds got rhythm.

After studying a cockatoo that grooves to the Backstreet Boys and about 1,000 YouTube videos, scientists say they’ve documented for the first time that some animals “dance” to a musical beat.

The results support a theory for why the human brain is wired for dancing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30499458/

Never seen Dancing with the Stars but I would bet some birds dance better than the stars.
Cheese Please!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun May 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Google fields low-tech wildfire prevention: goats
Fri May 1, 7:44 PM
SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - Internet-Age innovator Google is taking advantage of an old-time principle to thwart wildfires: goats will eat almost anything.

Google has brought in about 200 of the grazers to munch fields around its campus in the Northern California city of Mountain View.

California is prone to wild fires and several years of drought have heightened the danger. Grasses and brush that thrives during the state's brief rainy season turn ominously sere and flammable during parched months. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090501/o ... eat_google

I found this story and it had me thinking "believe it or not": goats grazing at Google.
80s pop music fan here!