Harmony's Rockin' Cafe

Speak-Ez Community
musicnomore

Re: Harmony's Rockin' Cafe

Post by musicnomore » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:33 pm

When I read about the metal globe that fell out of the sky in Africa, it made me think of the old movie, The Gods Must Be Crazy (plot driver was the Coke bottle that fell out of the sky and caused all sorts of commotion). A commenter said it was a kind of fuel pod used in rockets and made of steel or titanium so the metal's got some value.

Chestnuts toasted in the toaster oven are on the counter-help yourself. There's also the cranberry-orange-ginger ale punch (not spiked because you probably are travelling somewhere). The snow shovel's in the corner in case any significant snow falls overnight. I have a few people in a booth waiting on family scurrying around for the last shopping. No man cave in the cafe, though a couple of tvs are on, one with a fireplace log DVD and the other on the weather station, with the sound turned down and subtitles on to keep the quiet spell going.

Keeping the menu light and simple tonight, because people have to be on the road. And there are folks needing a hangout so the cafe's open.

No Reservations
Come on in, we are always open

manga2read

Post by manga2read » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:06 am

Boy, it's cozy warm in the cafe tonight! Hot chocolate and tea biscuits are great. There's a hand-drumming group in the corner--wow, live music to round out the night.

Got to have some boost for the humans bummed out by headline news in the world and knowing that there are people without food, beds or shelter needs covered. Even in North America, warm countries and the Arctic (we'd have a problem in the Antarctic if it had a large settled population but the continent is too cold except for research scientists and penguins plus the place probably has a few laws protecting it).
a word with you

burnt fare

Post by burnt fare » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Little too much distraction with the music so my broiled meats have a helping of carbon. No matter, a good dinner knife will take care of it and I have some mashed root vegetables to cover up the cut part.

Made a pasta salad too and there are store made tarts to make it a meal. I'm fine with a single's Christmas--no family feuds or long drives or commutes for me.
Burger time

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Food burns-that's a given when I cook too. Just had some roasted chestnuts and well, I can taste that their usual flavour seems subdued or lacking (boiled out veg tasting actually). Must remember to get chestnuts from usual store--chestnuts have a sweetness when they are ready to eat!

Sloppy snow is like packing snow only wetter but not all slush yet. I know what a very slush snow is like to move: it's like pushing a very leaky bag of water around with a shovel. Temperature must be going down but I hadn't noticed outdoors as a fine mist is in the air and providing the street lamps with softness.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:53 pm

I found out that online car insurance quotes want dates of when car is purchased. If I wanted to see what the insurance rates for a car or for cars, why cannot I find a field indicating car of interest as of the day I inquire about quotes?

So much for finding some used model year cars in an auto magazine to try to see how varied rates would be. Maybe I'll get a lottery ticket instead to see what prize might turn out instead.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:48 pm

I have swabbed the deck (washed the floor), run loads of laundry, gone to the store for items needed and picked up some wind-tossed litter from the yard. The hands are calling out for some moisturizer! I'm glad to have baked stuffing a couple of days ago and made snickerdoodle cookies (they have a sugar/cinnamon coating).

The day is kind of mild, as though it's above 0C, which made the walk pleasant.

Stuff remains to do but they are the little things. ;) Earl Grey tea, made with extra tea bags, can help improve the smell of a kitchen and oven if the bags and some tea are poured into a baking pan and left in the hot oven for 20-30 minutes. Another person, favouring a roast entree, had filled the room with smoke and some scorch (due to very high temperature). The citrusy tea was good for a cup for me and the rest for the pan. Bliss for the nose!
80s pop music fan here!

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:05 pm

It's been one week since we all read about the Costa Concordia getting its hull breached and the ship leaning to its right side. Might be a good idea to think about human folly, human nature and human kindness tonight.

No Reservations

pysanky

Post by pysanky » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:09 pm

I am Headline Rambler. I see items online and puzzle over lives lived differently.

Malawi-men objecting to women wearing pants or miniskirts are assaulting women. Even taking their clothes off. That's wrong. Even President said it is lie he asked people to do such things. How men like if they were attacked same manner?

Maldives-some judge taken in by military for saying someone in jail needs releasing. Vice-president of island nation say it's wrong. Do vacationers on Maldive islands away from capital hear this news?
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Can't enough of those Sugar Crisps--yes, even I have sugar cravings. A bowl of carbohydrates with milk. Sit for awhile as I have that bowl of cereal.

It's nice to catch up with your news and views. What's first?

No Reservations

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Here's a fun test-you will get different Internet speed results from three websites. Over an hour ago, it was obvious that I could not read news articles on a website nor even load some webpages. Then the connection went on a strange on/off pattern.

I like the graphics on
http://www.speedtest.shaw.ca
http://www.speedtest.net

Basic results appear on
http://speedtest.cogeco.net
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:01 pm

On-board gift shop magazines for airlines represent retail opportunities to make some money from the captive passengers. Needing a gift for someone or wanting a pick-me-up scent or accessory? With the right payment options (credit cards usually or Euros or Yen), passengers can shop from the in-stock merchandise during their flight. The catch remains that what you see in the magazine may not be available on your flight. I did not see a pre-order option.

Alitalia's gift shop magazine focuses on Made in Italy scents, jewelery, and gifts (ex. plush airplane toy that gives a recorded message when movement is detected) plus a few brand names like Ray-Ban, Swarovski, Thomas Sabo. What would I want, would I really, really want from the magazine? Sadly nothing really suggests "buy me" to me.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:47 pm

A toast to friendships:

They are valued greatly in adulthood when times tumble us through human emotions and hurts and joys. A good friend still knows to ask "how are you?" even if the last asking meant you were a grouch to him or her. There is delight in those brief visits between schedules and other people. Ah, to friendships with all-weather friends--they are dearer than any monetary value that can be assigned to them. Cheers to friendships!
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:20 pm

My morning has brought to mind the saying about how one cannot pick their family but one can pick their friends. :)

The Red Green version is if they don't find you handsome, they can find you handy. :D
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Snow flurries again-the snowplow truck was out late last night and did a couple of passes today. Nice light fluffy stuff if you push it to the side before dark. Otherwise the wet snow at the bottom does a solid job of freezing.

This morning, I took some snow off a vehicle so the lovely sunshine could finish melting the ice on the glass.
80s pop music fan here!

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:02 pm

You want to talk music (not the half-time show over in the Football thread)? Give your ears over to a few songs by duo CocoRosie. Strange, wonderful, odd as anything, sounds like Bjork--CocoRosie probably has the adjectives covered. The beatboxing band member on some songs provides the urban feel to music that is very shaped.

Well, the pretzels have run out; there's air-popped corn. Warm chili and rolls are on the night menu, plus three kinds of soup to warm you up if you don't have a getaway to a warm climate on your things-to-do list.

Talk to me while I put the shine on the glassware.

No Reservations

guitarblues

Post by guitarblues » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Tonight was Grammy night. How about renaming the event the Gimmes? Gimme an award for being on a stage, gimme an award for doing the project no one believed in except myself, gimme an award for knowing the right people in the industry, gimme an award for still showing up every year, and so on.

With all the tv cameras that record the clothing everyone wears, there have to be executives watching how their stores do in the next two days to see if viewers buy what was worn (or borrowed for the night).
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.

alohasand

Post by alohasand » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Yawnnnn! A corner booth, a bowl of soup and a piece of cake are worth the time of missing the rush hour crowd today. Many people have dinner date plans because of the pressure to "show their love" to the man or woman in their relationship. Good business for the restaurants, flower shops, candy stores and other places selling the gifts for the day.

I saw that post about Houston's albums going up in price. The record company can do that and make other music service providers bump their prices up as a result. This digital age has shown its drawback with this singer's death and Amy Winehouse's death--moneymakers moved within a day or two of knowing of their deaths. Even grief gets taken aside by the rush to make the money.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.

alohasand

Post by alohasand » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Gray sky gives way to thoughts of clown noses and silly sounds. Yes, there's a need to "play" to lift the mood before getting back to work. Or the yawns win another weekday when the energy level drops noticeably.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:03 pm

What makes for a happy mall shopping experience? Finding an empty table at the food court. Short or no line-ups at the cash register(s). Being able to find a store employee for product help (when store is staffed for weekend hours). Close parking spots to the store. Finding some deals you do not know about when looking at merchandise on display (there may be some lingering winter clothing on that sales rack with steep discounts applied). Getting a free shopping bag with your purchase without being charged for one.
80s pop music fan here!

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:02 pm

In four days' time, it will be International Women's Day. What achievements will be marked over the past year?

Men have their day on November 19.

Is there an international bartenders' day?

No Reservations

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:28 pm

I realized that one grocery store has basically cornered the large frozen entree market for its own store brand, unless shoppers want name brand pizzas or single-serve entrees. As I had noticed that some frozen foods have shifted freezer locations, I made certain I did not miss exploring my options. I almost got pizza at first but since that is almost a weekend staple, a lasagna on sale had more pull on my "what to eat for dinner" appetite.

Well, the reduced produce section had some citrus looking rather tough, some apples that still have appeal and small eggplants, with miscellaneous vegetables. The apples were the chosen produce to go into my grocery basket.
80s pop music fan here!

Tsukihime
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tsukihime » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Food veers between love, like and no-way! There's mood (what do I want to eat), body talk (I'm craving a particular food), and personal taste (some avoided items are due to bad after eating consequences or a gag reflux--everyone's got some food tastes or smells they cannot share rooms with because the body says "no" very firmly).

Shopping for food-great when time is there and the budget is generous. Usual situation is little time, on the way to or from somewhere that passes the grocery store and I can only spend $X.XX for snacks or the poor meal. Reduced prices on last expiry day items can be great deals if they are what I'm looking for. And the cheap fruits/vegetables--can be good finds or not worth the trouble later. It depends on the store and stock.
That's princess to you.

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Glad I have people at the cafe to make most of the food. At home, I attempted to make chili without all of the ingredients--the outcome was more soup than chili. Interesting discovery was that the cumin and oregano amounts give the spicy taste I notice in canned chilis. Well, I have soup at home for a few days. And I learned that diced eggplant is not a substitute for Jerusalem artichokes in the same recipe. Eggplant will have to be reserved for future casseroles or frittatas then.

To those wanting green beer, try the Irish pubs in your neighbourhood. I have some Celtic music playing as a nod to St. Patrick's Day and plenty of shepherd's pie in the oven to sell.

OK, I see that staff used all the green linens to decorate the cafe today...

No Reservations

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Warm weather's nice and all in Toronto for March BUT if we do get into a hot spell during the library strike, the libraries won't be open for cooling centres. The forecast's going to be muggy in Toronto on Wednesday.

Then the kids who need the libraries for projects or homework or somewhere to be until a parent gets home>the kids are going to have to be at home or at someone's home.

Not liking all this strike action at all--money's important. I think the part-time union people and non-union people are going to be scrambling for other jobs to make sure money's coming in. How many will lose apartments will be something that will get reported soon, I'm sure.

The Montreal employees are not happy either, the ones who fixed planes. It almost seems like there is a ploy to put the airline into a ring and knock it out. I have yet to read of corporate execs cutting their own benefits and salaries to help with the money cause.

In the US, that Direct Air line did not have money for its fuel and its trips were lost. People spoke of how up to the night before the flights got cancelled, the airline was trying to sell seats still. Where did the cash flow go?
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:04 pm

My understanding about frozed products is that in many cases said food comes from China even if it is marked Packaged in Canada.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 pm

It's spring officially in the Northern Hemisphere and fall in the Southern Hemisphere!

Though there was a northeasterly wind in the Southern Ontario region (nice fog in the morning (it disapated by 11 am; fog returned after 5 pm), short sleeves and shorts were seen in my travels today. It was as though the weather could not decide to be warm or cool. Lovely crocus clusters were seen in a park flower garden. :D
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:41 pm

April 10 and a 13C day with lively westerly winds made me think of frost and winter, despite the sunshine! Yes, I was wearing gloves while passing people with lighter garb. Feels like snow tonight-hope it does not wipe out the sturdy daffodils that went through two cold frost nights last week.

Brr-I could wrap my hands around a mug of hot cocoa right now! And a warm blanket.
80s pop music fan here!

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:53 pm

Spring flowers have yet to see some spring showers. With the warm weather, new plants could use a drink and so could the trees and perennials.

Gardening centres will be popping up everywhere. It's a good idea to figure out what useful pots and supplies are left over from last year in your storage shed, so your wallet won't be "crying poor" later when you get needed seeds and things.

No Reservations

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:25 am

Sometimes letting phone calls go to the answering machine is the better option. Especially when I check the machine and hear that I missed a fax machine chirping into the receiver. ;) I'm hoping the sender realized the error in the phone number dialed or entered and corrected the number afterwards.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Wed May 02, 2012 10:31 am

*rant*
I'm finding it difficult to find something in stores that is shown for spring but the size and particular style remain almost elusive. If anything, it seems that making calls to stores (rather than relying on email to get information in the big city) is the best way to find out what articles are in-stock.

I do need to figure out how to move faster on getting things when they come out at the start of the season. Nothing like seeing something of interest and then finding out it cannot be obtained.
80s pop music fan here!